prostituting pickpockets...

Status
Not open for further replies.

KeithF

Jul 9, 2006
www.cabarete.org
Can't believe the "Are they all prostitutes?" thread gets closed on the one day when I finally get something interesting to add... (well, interesting as far as I'm concerned, probably boring and uninteresting to the people who read this...)

Anyway, I've got a dodgy leg with no feeling in it (don't ask why, it's a short story drawn out too far as it is). As a result I trip up regularly and at the best of times. On a dodgy pavement, I trip and stagger like a drunk even when sober. So this evening, as I stagger like a drunk, back to my abode I was approached by a puter. Not taking 'no gracious' (sp? I'm bad enough in English, let alone Spanish) she walked with her hand on my shoulder, with me repeating the words I wrote before, probably pronounced as badly as I spell.

Anyway, the point is, as she let go of my shoulder her hand went for my arse, or more probably my arse pocket. Fortunately, being sober and half expecting it, I caught her fingers before she got there. Another, this time 'firm' "NO", she turned around and went in search of another client/victim.

And the point?

Well... I can now be one of those DR's who lament the increase in crime after my first brush with an over enthusiastic prostitute...

and I can complain about how Cabarete is going down hill, given this was only 10:30pm...

But if that thread asking "are they all prostitutes?" wasn't closed, I could have responded with "yes, when a woman approaches you who you don't know and she starts to touch you, she is a prostitute... and quite probably a thief, so watch your pockets rather than asking her for Spanish lessons!

...which would have been so much quicker and easier;)

Rocky

Honorificabilitudinitatibus
Apr 4, 2002
www.rockysbar.com
"yes, when a woman approaches you who you don't know and she starts to touch you, she is a prostitute... and quite probably a thief, so watch your pockets rather than asking her for Spanish lessons!
You might want to post this in the "DR safety tips" thread.
It is so very true.
I might add that most of these pickpockets are just that, thieves, pretending to be putas.
They would much rather get your money the fast way, than having to earn it horizontally.

Prodical

Apr 14, 2007
I remember one time this past April '06, I was leaving a night club and walking back to my hotel, when two hot putas approached me. They were both all over me trying to feel me up, etc. I remembered what I had heard about this on another site, and instantly put my hands down into my pockets. As I did this, my hand intercepted one of the puta's hand just about to reach into my front pocket where I had some cash. I wasn't too happy about this, but at least I had the heads up do to DR help found on sites like this!

MarkGrandy

Feb 22, 2005
Once when one puta touched me, I was scared and screamed "Don't touch me with Your dirty hands!"
What do you think if it was bad insult and I should expekt some kind of revenge ?

MarkGrandy

Feb 22, 2005
You have got to be kidding.

Which part do You mean ?

I was scared because I was walking and was deeply in my thoughts, then I unexpectedly felt when someone touch me.

I read from other post, that it is bad insult here, when saying them dirty, there were also other putas witnessing.

When slapping somebody in face, it could lead to Your death!

Rocky

Apr 4, 2002
www.rockysbar.com
Which part do You mean ?

I was scared because I was walking and was deeply in my thoughts, then I unexpectedly felt when someone touch me.

I read from other post, that it is bad insult here, when saying them dirty, there were also other putas witnessing.

When slapping somebody in face, it could lead to Your death!
The face slap can be fatal, if not right then and there, at a later date.
It may be better to just physically remove the chicas hand and call her ladrone, than get into the dirty hand thing, which would just serve to detract from the real issue at hand, which is her trying to rob you.

Prodical

Apr 14, 2007
In relation to my above experience, I just said "NO" firmly and walked away. That seemed to work.

Papa Benito

Dec 5, 2006
Prostitute/Pickpocket working on Pedro Clisante

Near the Shark Bar and Secrets. She is fat, stocky, and very ugly, and wearing a dress. First, she agressively propositions you. When that failed, she grabbed my balls hard and simultaneousy uses her other hand to frisk your pocket. She failed but you may not be as lucky! I wanted to ''punch her out'' but I was afraid the Policia would support her, not me.

Rocky

Apr 4, 2002
www.rockysbar.com
Prostitute/Pickpocket working on Pedro Clisante

Near the Shark Bar and Secrets. She is fat, stocky, and very ugly, and wearing a dress. First, she agressively propositions you. When that failed, she grabbed my balls hard and simultaneousy uses her other hand to frisk your pocket. She failed but you may not be as lucky! I wanted to ''punch her out'' but I was afraid the Policia would support her, not me.
That's getting to be a seedy area, ever since Seacrets opened.
It's starting to look & feel like the Plaza Sosua/Europa area.

DavidZ

Silver
Aug 29, 2005
www.vipcigartours.com
Simple rules to follow to avoid worrying about pickpockets or "guests" lifting valuables from your room:

Don't carry anything in your back pockets.

Leave your wallet in the room safe and just take enough cash for the night, and/or an ATM Card - put it in your front pocket, or even better a hidden or closeable (zipper, buttons) pocket.

Put EVERYTHING of any value...even expensive cologne, medication, your passport, plane tickets, etc in the safe.

Carry a photocopy of your Passport, not a bad idea to have a few emergency numbers with you as well...including your Country's Embassy, an Attorney, local friends, etc.

Dont wear expensive jewelery or watches (Ive heard a couple of snatch and grab necklace stories... they are either on a motoconcho or have one waiting...)

All pretty common-sense ideas and if you follow this, you can get as drunk as you want and feel pretty sure you'll wake up in the morning with everything you had before you left the hotel... ;)

Sosua and Cabarete are not really dangerous at all, as long as you travel wisely (the same as you should anywhere outside of your "comfort zone")... I know people who take more precautons than this when they visit NYC, Miami, Vegas, etc...

pyratt

Bronze
Jan 14, 2007
I concur with David Z but would like to add that an empty Presidente Grande bottle "applied" to the cranial area of an uncooperative puta will generally send them falling to the pavement or running into the nearest ally.....

I'd rather give my money to bribe a cop to "fagedaboutit", than lose my money to some stink puta

globalmike295

On Vacation
Jul 11, 2006
That's getting to be a seedy area, ever since Seacrets opened.
It's starting to look & feel like the Plaza Sosua/Europa area.

I look both ways going to the bank in that direction

Pick pockets are any where you have whoremongers

Not in Thailand though

Eddy

Silver
Jan 1, 2002
Just to add a little humour to this thread, a few years ago a regular at the bar used to walk from his condo to the bar every night for a couple of beers. He always had 10 pesos in his pocket with the rest hidden in his stockings. The girls used to come up to him and grab is b*lls and feel him up while picking his pockets. They didn't realize that it was only a 10 untill later. This worked for several weeks untill the girls got wise. In the interim, he had a great time and it only cost him 10 pesos. P.S. - He is 70 years old.

globalmike295

On Vacation
Jul 11, 2006
Just to add a little humour to this thread, a few years ago a regular at the bar used to walk from his condo to the bar every night for a couple of beers. He always had 10 pesos in his pocket with the rest hidden in his stockings. The girls used to come up to him and grab is b*lls and feel him up while picking his pockets. They didn't realize that it was only a 10 untill later. This worked for several weeks untill the girls got wise. In the interim, he had a great time and it only cost him 10 pesos. P.S. - He is 70 years old.

That's a great story, I keep it close to the vest myself'
It's a shame I never got to meet you, I popped in a couple of times while you were in Canada

Must stop in and meet the new owners, I hope they do not have any Horses,

or Horse play.........if you know what I mean

Jouir de Viv,,,,,,,,is that correct ??

KeithF

Jul 9, 2006
www.cabarete.org
agree t everything DavidZ said and would add, only take as much cash as you are aiming to spend, so by the time you go home you are not carrying too much. Then if you get robbed it's annoying rather than a catastrophe.

I wasn't aiming to alarm anyone who reads this and doesn't really know the place (hence the quite 'jokey' manner of the original post) ie 'new or prospective' tourists. It's only a big deal if you take your brain totally out of gear.

On the flight back to the UK last night, I spoke with a young lass who had been with a group of friends, staying A/I in Cabarete. They only went out from the hotel once all week other than an organised tour, because they were so upset by the constant barraging from the 'hair braid' women. I said they should simply say 'no thank you', put their hand up in a 'stop' sign and then break (or avoid making) eye contact. She said that it 'felt rude' to not make eye contact when talking to someone. Of course, once they have your attention, you are a fish on a hook. You need to 'grow up' if you are going to visit different cultures. You can smile when saying 'no' (the first time) etc. But only show interest if you are interested, not to avoid looking 'rude'.

The pickpockets are I think, still quite rare as long as you aren't stupid...

And if you are, then Darwin would suggest you deserve what you get!

Ladybird

Bronze
Dec 15, 2003
dreamteamdownloads1.com
I concur with David Z but would like to add that an empty Presidente Grande bottle "applied" to the cranial area of an uncooperative puta will generally send them falling to the pavement or running into the nearest ally.....

I'd rather give my money to bribe a cop to "fagedaboutit", than lose my money to some stink puta

This is very unwise advice, a lot of the putas are aware if they go to a lawyer they can make a lot more money and the Police get their cut of the damages. Many putas have made money from false allegations, can you imagine how much they would make from you if you hit them with a bottle?

Status
Not open for further replies.