Pollo Victorina opens in Washington Heights!

Funnyyale26

Bronze
Dec 15, 2006
I went and I have to say that it doesnt resemble anything from the Pica Pollo that they sell over in DR. Very Disapointed w/ the quality. This is probably the worst chicken, ever...the pieces are small, the meal was cold, EXPENSIVE (4.00 for 2 wings and a leg) and just plain wrong. I am going to stick to Paula Deen's recipe for fried chicken or go to Popeyes at 190 st. in NYC.

C

Chip00

I don't doubt that the chicken is not as good as what we get here. I think part of the problem is that the nutrition and growth of the chickens exceeds that of the process here, even though they use hormones.

In fact when I go to the US I am consistently disappoined by the chicken after living a year here in the DR - it seems as la masa just doesn't have any taste.

Man - I am hungry now - I think I'll go get me a friend breast chicken sandwhich tonight from Pollos Victorinas or better yet - a whole fried breast from Pollo Licey! - ay madre mia tan rrrrrriiiiicccccoooooo!!!!!!!

Funnyyale26

Bronze
Dec 15, 2006
Chip..so you feel that Pollos Victorina are decent quality? I hate chinese fried chicken from the US and only eat at Popeyes because to me it resembles the chicken I used to eat as a child at Pollos Victorina, but I am told that fried chicken or pica pollo from the Chinese restaurants, are becoming very popular over there?

C

Chip00

Chip..so you feel that Pollos Victorina are decent quality? I hate chinese fried chicken from the US and only eat at Popeyes because to me it resembles the chicken I used to eat as a child at Pollos Victorina, but I am told that fried chicken or pica pollo from the Chinese restaurants, are becoming very popular over there?

The chicken at the Pollos Victorina here in Santiago on La 27 is pretty good, especially the fried breast chicken, however the Pollo Licey in Licey and a new chicken place in Moca have the best chicken hands down that I've eaten here. I really like getting a big peice of breast becasue the meat has so much taste, whereas in the States a chicken breast more often that not has little taste.

As far as the Chinese restaurants making fried chicken here in the DR, there is a place here in Santiago close to El Leon Jimenez that does a good job too. The owners are Chinese but the cooks are Dominican

suarezn

Gold
Feb 3, 2002
Can't wait till Helados Bon, El Provocon, and Barra Payan open up their franchises...LOL.

C

Chip00

Can't wait till Helados Bon, El Provocon, and Barra Payan open up their franchises...LOL.

I understand Provocon becasue the roasted chicken is good but Helados Bon - give me a break - store bought Breyers is better and cheaper!

BTW - what is Barra Payan and is there one in Santiago?

jrzyguy

Bronze
May 5, 2004
if you are in nyc...then go to sammy's noodle shop on 6th ave and 9th street. get the crispy fried chicken. Its not southern fried chicken...but it is somehow similar to picapollo. No yucca available tho :-(

miguel

I didn't last long...
Jul 2, 2003
Ummmmmm.......

I'll have to make my way up there and try it out, hopefully I won't be disappointed.
Hey Ricardo, any chance you can get me 3 and send them to me here in "Alaska"?.

Cooked, frozen, I don't care, I'll pay double!!.

Jun 5, 2004

Just to let you know... In Washington Heights and in some parts of the bronx they are selling Helados Bon (or what appears to be) they are sold in the bodegas and they come in pints. Hopefully they would expand into all there products. BTW does anyone have any more info on this.

suarezn

Gold
Feb 3, 2002
I understand Provocon becasue the roasted chicken is good but Helados Bon - give me a break - store bought Breyers is better and cheaper!

BTW - what is Barra Payan and is there one in Santiago?

All a matter of taste dear Chipo. I happen to like Helados Bon...I can see how Americans may not like it as it tends to be sweeter than US ice cream, but I like the flavors which you can't find up here (i.e. ron pasa, chinola).

Barra Payan is not a chain per se. I think there is just one or just a couple. They are in Santo Domingo and is a venerable place that has been there forever and they sell the best batidas in the whole wide world. It's open 24X7 and it was the place to go at 3+ AM when you were drinking.

Indie

Bronze
Nov 15, 2002
Really?

Barra Payan is not a chain per se. I think there is just one or just a couple. They are in Santo Domingo and is a venerable place that has been there forever and they sell the best batidas in the whole wide world. It's open 24X7 and it was the place to go at 3+ AM when you were drinking.

I thought the place to go to was Barra Pando.

Criss Colon

Platinum
Jan 2, 2002
yahoomail.com
"Ron Pasa" is "Rum Raisen" is the USA. You can find it everywhere!

I also had some really good
Dulce de Leche! From Hagendaas I think!
But I L-O-V-E ."Helados Bon"!!!!
Once the "NOVELTY" wears off,the Dominicans will drop "Pollos Victorina NYC" like the bad habit that it is!
CCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCC
CCCCCCCCCCCCCCC

Espejo81

May 19, 2007
Payan surely does make very good sandwiches....mmmMmM... batidas.... that place was packed at 4 am... I think there's only one and the other one on La Venezuela, "Payano" is just a copycat w/ an "o" at the end.

Marilyn

Bronze
May 7, 2002
Payan surely does make very good sandwiches....mmmMmM... batidas.... that place was packed at 4 am... I think there's only one and the other one on La Venezuela, "Payano" is just a copycat w/ an "o" at the end.

Payano can never come close to barra Payan, there's only one barra Payan and it's been there for ever, (more than 40 years for sure) the quality is excellent for the money. The place is in a corner on 30 de Marzo #140 and doesn't have tables, you have to sit in a stool by the counter and at lunch is hot as hell but you can't find a seat, you either have to eat standing up and wait until a seat is available or eat it in the car. If they ever remodel or put A/C and tables, it will lose its appeal for sure. Barra Payan is a landmark in San Carlos.