91.1 and 101.1 MHz

Lambada

Gold
Mar 4, 2004
www.ginniebedggood.com
Yes, the victim was a 37 year old Brit. According to El Nacional it happened last night. The ladrones tied up family, stole computer, video camera, jewellery, credit cards, 8500 pesos & a jeep. This was in Vista del Caribe (near Coconut Palms). Report says some 40 people have been detained.
El Nacional, la voz de todos

mountainfrog

On Vacation!
Dec 8, 2003
www.domrep-info.com

DavidZ

Silver
Aug 29, 2005
www.vipcigartours.com
What's a lavadora de videos...a dvd cleaner?

Someone asked about the safety of this area a few days ago, I have recently heard some pretty bad stories, including a stolen inverter, and a gunfight with a robber inside someone's home...

mountainfrog

On Vacation!
Dec 8, 2003
www.domrep-info.com
Don't Worry and Get Robbed

What's a lavadora de videos...a dvd cleaner?
Most likely 'grabadora' de videos...

Someone asked about the safety of this area a few days ago, I have recently heard some pretty bad stories, including a stolen inverter, and a gunfight with a robber inside someone's home...

Naah, don't be fooled.
The DR is quite safe.
Those things happen everywhere... ;)

m'frog

Frankie

Nov 28, 2006
We were the victims of the robbery. They entered our property at about 9pm by breaking the glass on the door, they took jewellery, a watch, video camera, digital camera and laptop. They tied us up and then left in our car. Thankfully our 8 year old son who was asleep in bed was left alone and is unaware of the whole incident. They were very calm and methodical and had obviously done the same thing many times before. We have had huge support from our friends and neighbours and just feel resolute that we love the DR and this does not affect our feelings for the country or people. Be aware that we had only moved into our property 3 weeks ago and have heard that this can be a pattern of attacks on people that move into new houses. Also we are vigilant about security late at night but it did not occur to us that this would happen so early in the evening. We did not feel that they were agressive, we felt they would not harm us so long as we complied with their instructions. At least they know we have nothing left to steal so hopefully they will not be back!!

Chris

Gold
Oct 21, 2002
www.caribbetech.com
Thank-you Frankie. It must have been a horrible experience. I am sorry you and your family went through this.

Good to hear that you have come through and that you have support from friends and neighbors.

ZEUS

Bronze
Feb 14, 2003
Frankie, I'm so sorry this happened to you and your family. I just want to ask you this: Please don't judge all Dominicans the same. These scumbags don't deserve to be Dominicans and that's why when I read about some bastard been blown away by the police (gun fire exchange) not that I feel glad but I think very little about the out come.

Again, sorry
Zeus

Matilda

RIP Lindsay
Sep 13, 2006
Well done for being so calm. Don't panic. I am a firm believer that lightning doesn't strike twice and as the previous poster said don't judge all Dominicans the same. As I say sh*t happens (and I was shot being robbed), but I am still here and happier than ever. It won't happen again. Don't let the bast***ds grind you down.

matilda

Lambada

Gold
Mar 4, 2004
www.ginniebedggood.com
I'll second that. Well done Frankie for a very matter-of-fact post with no rancour. I don't think they'll be back either: with lots of friends & neighbours supporting you, you must have a fairly high profile in the neighbourhood. That wouldn't make any difference to crackhead ladrones but these sound serial robbers who want the goods not the people. Ergo they'll go for more low profile targets. Sounds like you exhibited very British self control & responded in exactly the right way. Sorry about the loss, but it's only things. Great news about your son. He's the jewel they didn't touch.

Frankie

Nov 28, 2006
I'll second that. Well done Frankie for a very matter-of-fact post with no rancour. I don't think they'll be back either: with lots of friends & neighbours supporting you, you must have a fairly high profile in the neighbourhood. That wouldn't make any difference to crackhead ladrones but these sound serial robbers who want the goods not the people. Ergo they'll go for more low profile targets. Sounds like you exhibited very British self control & responded in exactly the right way. Sorry about the loss, but it's only things. Great news about your son. He's the jewel they didn't touch.

Couldn't have put it better myself!! That is exactly my feelng, obviously I am fed up that they took our stuff but my husband, son and I are all fine, so nothing else is really important.
Thanks for your messages, they are much appreciated.
Juliette