Marine Surveyors

Ringo

On Vacation!
Mar 6, 2003
I was a marine surveryor many years ago. Also a member, then, of SAMs that just about every bank and insurance company in America respected. Also Lloyds of London.

Reading the link information they appear to have the qualifications and expertise that you would desire. With SAMS and NAMS, another repected surveryor association, there is the fully accredited surveryor that has pasted tests and has to continue education to the satistaction the board. There is also the "in training" member that may be very good, but not pasted or taken the test.

They can also give you the SAMS phone number in Florida (?) that you can call and inquire if they are in "good standing". Also you may ask them for a list of clients, banks and insurance contacts. (Most of my work came from the bank or insurance companies.)

I would recommend that you:
1. BE there for the survey.
2. Make sure that vessel is hauled.
3. Get the oils tested and, if needed, get a good mechanic.
4. Do a full sea trial.

Good luck.

SecondChance

Apr 26, 2007
Ringo,
Thank you for confirming the answer to my question, I really appreciate it? The Yacht Broker has suggested that I have it surveyed first before I put an offer in on it, this sounds honest to me but backwards (offers usually come before the survey). Does something sound "fishy" to you?

Thanks again!
Rick

Ringo

On Vacation!
Mar 6, 2003
The norm in the U.S. is to "make an offer contingent on sea trial AND survey". A refundable deposit, less survey (sea trial should be included in the surveyors costs and include the surveyor) and yard costs for hauling. The vessel bottom is inspected, sounded and mosture content checked while in the "sling" and takes about one hour and vessel put back in. IF the vessel needs to be put into the yard, that should not be your costs unless you have decided to buy the vessel and what bottom work done. The Broker gets nothing until the deal is done.

MOST surveyors can give you a verbal report of MOST of their findings, both good and bad, during or at the end of the survey, but MAY not be conclusive until they write up the final report.

You attending the sea trial and survey can then consult with the yard and get prices and ability to repair while the boat is hauled. The Broker, most likely will be attending the whole process and making mental notes of problems. This is the best time to do or redo your deal or walk. BTW, information from the surveyor is to you only and confidential unless you want to use it as part getting the price down OR having the seller pay for some/all repairs.

BTW. If you are not comfortable with this broker, find another. As in real estate, you have the sellers broker and the buyers broker.

I hope this helps.

Ringo

On Vacation!
Mar 6, 2003
Rick, you can google, BUC books and look up the recommended value for the vessel you are looking at. Keep in mind that location of the vessel will change the value. This is one of the best valuation tools that most surveryors use.

Also, google, Chapmans school of seamanship. Located in Port St. Lucie, Fl. Charlie was and still may be, the head the the surveyors program. He was also very active in SAMS from the beginning. Charlie is an "up front" type of guy.

SecondChance

Apr 26, 2007
I understand the real estate process as that is the field I am in. 99.8% of the time, the property is negotiated, entered escrow and then the buyer has his due dilligence period (typically 17 days) which includes all inspections.

This scenerio with the boat offer AFTER the survey threw me for a loop. I just thought it sounded strange, but maybe because the vessel is in the VI and I'm in California?

Perhaps the Yacht Broker is looking out for my best interest (oximoron)? It wouldn't really make any difference since I would be there for the survey anyway. I'm expect I would arrange a time for the survey, be present during the survey, fly back home, wait for the survey to be mailed, review the survey, then make the offer. I've never met or spoke with the Broker, just emails back and forth.

Does all this sound reasonable based on the circumstances to you?

Thank you for your input Ringo!!!

Rick

P.S....I'll look for BUC books and see what their value is on this vessel. I've done some preliminary research already and figured it's about $10,000 less than what they are asking now. Is it typically more value if in the VI rather than say...Florida?

Ringo

On Vacation!
Mar 6, 2003
IF I was to buy another vessel, I would want to send a deposit and "lock the boat up" before I contracted with the surveyor, paid for air fair, hotel, ground transportation, etc. (If the surveyor is not in the area, he also may ask for expenses.) Nothing like getting there and being told, "I sold that yesterday, but I have something else to show you."

As for vessel values, I don't know if, in general, prices would be lower in the V.I. then Florida other than Florida has more disposable income and people may be willing to pay more. Supply and demand?

SecondChance

Apr 26, 2007
Good old economics...supply and demand, it makes sence.

Yea, I thought about the Broker saying something like that (it sold yesterday). But as in real estate, the deposit is only "good faith" and if another higher offer came in, the higher offer could be accepted anyway. Isn't it the same with buying a boat? Either way I'm taking my chances it seems.

Ringo

On Vacation!
Mar 6, 2003
As I remember R.E. law..? and would be the same for vessels..

Once an offer and deposit have been excepted and entered into contract, no other offer may be presented to the seller until the first contract has been concluded one way or another. The Broker may inform the seller that he/she has "back up" offer(s) but are not to present them. IF the standard offer contract does not specify this, then write it in.

THIS IS DOMINICAN REPUBLIC RELATED. Rick, you need to get the D.R. stuff into this thread. I'm a retired surveryor that lives in the D.R..