Cost of architect...what is his 6% fee based on????

is mikehunt there

*** Sin Bin ***
Jan 18, 2007
If you can assist ...please do???

My construction quotation from my builder is as follows

• materials and labor= $25559.00us
  • builder supervision fee= $2555.00 us
  • seguro social= $1330.00us

My architect has designed this construction job in full! His fee is 6%
My question is 6% of what amount;

1. Do i calculate the 6% architecture fee and include the builders supervision fee (with the materials and labor fee)?

2. Do i calculate the 6% architecture fee and include the seguro insurance fee (with the materials and labor fee)?
thank you in advance
m

C

Chip00

If you can assist ...please do???

My construction quotation from my builder is as follows

• materials and labor= $25559.00us
  • builder supervision fee= $2555.00 us
  • seguro social= $1330.00us

My architect has designed this construction job in full! His fee is 6%
My question is 6% of what amount;

1. Do i calculate the 6% architecture fee and include the builders supervision fee (with the materials and labor fee)?

2. Do i calculate the 6% architecture fee and include the seguro insurance fee (with the materials and labor fee)?
thank you in advance
m

If the estimate is complete you would take 6% of the total. The 6% fee is standard for Architects and is supposed to be 6% of the total cost for construction, but also can be negotiated to a lower rate.

Since the estimate the actual construction will change you should add a "contigency fee" of 10 to 20+ % to the total that you are asking from the bank to handle construction costs increases etc.

Finally, send JRR of DR1 a PM - he may be able to get you a loan and his rates are close to half what any bank here in the DR can offer you.

nydr

Feb 24, 2006
it is calculated like this

Direct cost - are the materials and labor
indirect cost- supervision fee, seguro social, administration, etc
you have to calculate the 6% based on direct cost, because all other cost are percentage of the direct cost.
In an estimate you have a subtotal which is the direct cost and after that you have all other charges that almost always are a percentage of the direct cost, those are called Indirect cost.
By the way I was charge a 4.5% by my architect which did a quite good job.
nydr

is mikehunt there

*** Sin Bin ***
Jan 18, 2007
If the estimate is complete you would take 6% of the total. The 6% fee is standard for Architects and is supposed to be 6% of the total cost for construction, but also can be negotiated to a lower rate.

Since the estimate the actual construction will change you should add a "contigency fee" of 10 to 20+ % to the total that you are asking from the bank to handle construction costs increases etc.

Finally, send JRR of DR1 a PM - he may be able to get you a loan and his rates are close to half what any bank here in the DR can offer you.

thank you for the first part of your answer. Secondly, and
with respect ..what makes you think i need a loan / i dont remember requesting information on loans ...i actually pay cash for my home/s.

is mikehunt there

*** Sin Bin ***
Jan 18, 2007
Direct cost - are the materials and labor
indirect cost- supervision fee, seguro social, administration, etc
you have to calculate the 6% based on direct cost, because all other cost are percentage of the direct cost.
In an estimate you have a subtotal which is the direct cost and after that you have all other charges that almost always are a percentage of the direct cost, those are called Indirect cost.
By the way I was charge a 4.5% by my architect which did a quite good job.
nydr

Thank you... you have conformed my original thought.
does your architect have email/speak english /phone ... i speak conversational spanish! if he/she does please forward their info on to me
thanks again
m

C

Chip00

thank you for the first part of your answer. Secondly, and
with respect ..what makes you think i need a loan / i dont remember requesting information on loans ...i actually pay cash for my home/s.

Take no offense pal - just adding that information just in case. I'm happy you can pay with cash and I wish that I were so fortunate.

Criss Colon

Platinum
Jan 2, 2002
yahoomail.com
Must Be a Very Nice ......................DOG House!!!!

:cheeky: :cheeky: :cheeky:
CCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCcc

is mikehunt there

*** Sin Bin ***
Jan 18, 2007
:cheeky: :cheeky: :cheeky:
CCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCcc

up to your old tricks again Colon!!!!!!!!...i see now that you are unable to keep your 'colon' shut! Thanks again for your input

Actually, its an addition to my third house ive built here...The area is 80m2!

Thanks again for the mountain of information you provided ill use it soon....NOT!

slrguy

Oct 17, 2006
I'm intrigued that architectural fees are still calculated as a percentage. I've been in the construction/development biz all my life, basically, and built stuff in several countries. Haven't paid a percentage fee in many years. It's just about the least logical way to determine the value of professional services...I know, I know. "It's how it's always been, here".

A couple questions, please?

This fee is a percentage of the contractor's original contract amount, before change orders? Or the final cost, complete?

Besides provide plans, what does the architect do for this fee, exactly? Any job supervision? Inspections? Permitting? What else?

I truly am intrigued by this....

Criss Colon

Platinum
Jan 2, 2002
yahoomail.com
Big Dog House!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

ccccccccccccccccccccccccccccccccccccccccccccccccccccccccccccccccc
but a dog house still!

nydr

Feb 24, 2006
I think that

I'm intrigued that architectural fees are still calculated as a percentage. I've been in the construction/development biz all my life, basically, and built stuff in several countries. Haven't paid a percentage fee in many years. It's just about the least logical way to determine the value of professional services...I know, I know. "It's how it's always been, here".

A couple questions, please?

This fee is a percentage of the contractor's original contract amount, before change orders? Or the final cost, complete?

Besides provide plans, what does the architect do for this fee, exactly? Any job supervision? Inspections? Permitting? What else?

I truly am intrigued by this....

they based that fee over the complexity of the project, it's not the same to design and build a dog house than a 4,000ft condo. I also know -by experience- that this fee is fully negotiable.
In my case the architect delivered a full set of plans, well detailed very professional and did the permitting process. Gave me the set of plans with all the stamps on it.
You can also get for a fixed price the design and the supervision as well, which for me is the way to go. because you're going to have the same person that did the design building it..Of course it has to be good as both jobs.

nydr

Feb 24, 2006
Criss if you want

The house is being built in the DR isn't it???CCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCC
to build without supporting 5 or 6 supervisor's families you should get your permits. But it all depends on the area that you're working on. I bet that the mountain's houses has no problem at all but the one on the main streets are going to have many I mean MAny visits from the ayunteminto

Jan 5, 2006
You've gotten some very good answers from nydr on the architect's fee.

One other thing to consider is that the "seguro social" is also negotiable. You just need to convince the person that you're dealing at the IDSS that this is way simpler than it seems. ;)