Pictures from Pedernales and Lake Enriquillo

Marilyn

Bronze
May 7, 2002
Thanks for sharing

Simply gorgeous pictures

Question: the picture where you're eating lobster in Pedernales, is that in Cabo Rojo, Las Cuevas or Bahia de las Aguilas?

lemoralexis

May 20, 2007
Motorcycler, just joined the forum and so happy to see someone who appriciates Barahona and its surrounding areas as much as I do. Raised in Toronto Canada, my father has been living there for 20 some odd years and Barahona has been a second home to me just as long. Now living in the south of Spain, I look forward to making it my permanent residence some day soon. Check out some of the photos on gobarahoa.com. You can download them too. All the best
lemoralexis

Mirador

On Permanent Vacation!
Apr 15, 2004
Motorcycler, just joined the forum and so happy to see someone who appriciates Barahona and its surrounding areas as much as I do. Raised in Toronto Canada, my father has been living there for 20 some odd years and Barahona has been a second home to me just as long. Now living in the south of Spain, I look forward to making it my permanent residence some day soon. Check out some of the photos on gobarahoa.com. You can download them too. All the best
lemoralexis

Lemoralexis, there is no gobarahoa.com in the net, so I took the liberty of adding an "n" between the last "o" and last "a", and Voila! Go Barahona

There's only a legend on the page that says "soon/pronto", and the following pic. Nothing more! By the way, what beach is that?

4kdb7v4.jpg

Don Juan

Living Brain Donor
Dec 5, 2003
Motorcycler, wonderful pictures! Would love to go there someday. Have many questions.
The main roads seem to be in great shape. How were they, overall?
How safe was your trip? Any trouble at all?
How difficult in finding lodging, food and gas?
How far (in miles), did you travel? How long did it take?
I don't (won't) ride a motorcycle, would I need a four-wheel drive vehicle?
How much $$ would we (four of us), expect to spend on basics?
How was your overall trip experience? Any significant complains?
Do you have a blog?
Thanks in advance. Sorry about the many questions.

Motorcycler

Jan 20, 2007
www.motorcycler.com
Don Juan the place is just beautiful...

1 - The roads were good and road signs scarce though it is getting a bit better.

2 - The trip was safe, but it helps to be fluent in spanish and to know what you want to do before going. Also if lacking in this department, it is good to have someone you can trust to take you to some of these places as it takes time to find.

3- Lodging, food and gas...NO PROBLEM!!! but don't expect AI's...nothing like that there unless you go to the Costa Larimar. However what there is is really cozy, friendly and slow.

4- The miles it depends where from or where to.. You can easily spend a week touring Barahona, Pedernales, Independencia, Bahoruco and never visit the same place twice. I hope this helps... During the week you can easily travel a few hours everyday maybe around 500 in total.

5- Four wheel drive vehicles are the way to go as there are many areas that are easier access with this like Pelempito, Bahia de las Aguilas and others. If you can get it...great!

6- The trip was very safe but it helps to have a local person to get you places, if you have never been there. If you do not use a local you definitely will have to do your homework well (Google earth is a great tool). Road signs are scarce and some roads and places are hard to decipher so Spanish will be a good tool also. No trouble at all except for taking wrong turns here and there.

7 - Basics....let's see I can give you for a couple, you'd have to kind of figure it out from there. HOTEL - $65US with breakfast and dinner included for two (pontevedra). GAS - around $15-25US per day (not cheap). FOOD - additional $15US per day. GUIDE - $300US for 5 days and worth every dime as you go on your own schedule.

8- Overall Experience - Great. This is my third jaunt into Barahona and will be returning in July with a group of bikers from Puerto Rico. No complaints, but as my wife says...it's like going camping.

BLOG YES plus here are a few addresses that have my photos or videos...

Motorcycler's Blog

Motorcycler Channel on YouTube - Dominican Republic Playlist

Motorcycler Dominican Republic Photos on Flickr

C

Chip00

Diablazo!!! Those are soome pretty pics - especially yhe lobster. Post you're itenerary and maybe I can get off the leash enough to join you guys next time on my 115!

Motorcycler

Jan 20, 2007
www.motorcycler.com
lemoralexis

Lemoralexis that's great...Barahona and sorroundings are very unique indeed. We are planning a return 12 day trip in July and it will be an expedition by the looks of things. So more pictures will be on the way then.

Like Mirador pointed out we dropped by the page and just saw the opening. Maybe we need a different URL...

Motorcycler

Jan 20, 2007
www.motorcycler.com
Lemoralexis, there is no gobarahoa.com in the net, so I took the liberty of adding an "n" between the last "o" and last "a", and Voila! Go Barahona

There's only a legend on the page that says "soon/pronto", and the following pic. Nothing more! By the way, what beach is that?

4kdb7v4.jpg

Mirador I have a hunch that the curve on the upper side of the picture is leading to San Rafael Beach after the long descending straight of way. This photo seems to be flipped horizontally and that was why I never even recognized it until I saw it again on the Barahona page. It is just a guess but I'm, pretty sure that this is the place.

Here is the picture as it appears on the Barahona web site...
img-barahona.jpg

Here is a picture from the opposite side before the curve...notice the clump of trees to the left...
474917675_e1e6885719_o.jpg

Another one from the top of San Rafael...
474917191_7c49944e11_o.jpg

What do you think??

Don Juan

Living Brain Donor
Dec 5, 2003
Good heavens, Motorcycler!! You've found Shangri-La!! I didn't know it was part of the Dominican Republic!! Wow!

Motorcycler

Jan 20, 2007
www.motorcycler.com
Maybe this was James Hilton's Lost Horizon...

I may not have "found" it but it sure is as intriguing and alluring as the places described in the Lost Horizon. It has all the Shangri La qualities of balance, harmony and mystery.

Really can't ever get tired of seeing it that is why it is such a beckoning place.

Motorcycler

Jan 20, 2007
www.motorcycler.com
Diablazo!!! Those are soome pretty pics - especially yhe lobster. Post you're itenerary and maybe I can get off the leash enough to join you guys next time on my 115!

Hey Chip the lobster was too much. It was broiled over wood fire and they used Bahia Honda wood which is just like mesquite. It was too much... It took about an hour and a half to prepare but hey we're on vacation...

We're leaving PR on the 6th of july toget into SDQ on the 7th. From there it is Barahona until the 15th which we return to SDQ for a couple of days and hang out with some of our dominican biker buddies.

I'll probably post some stuff on the details later on as the day approaches. A 115 you say? That oughta be fun...

Don Juan

Living Brain Donor
Dec 5, 2003
Motorcycler, I've always wanted, but haven't yet, traversed the roads along the Haitian border. I wonder if you have done it or plan on it?
This is another fascinating part of the country I'd like to someday explore.
I heard that new roads are being build but that it's still treacherous, (personal safety). What's your opinion?

C

Chip00

Hey Chip I was just thinking....you think I can keep up with your bike on this one?? JUST KIDING:cheeky:
motorsturg.jpg

I don't know if the 115 can but I do have a Suzuki Bandit 1200 in Florida with about 125 bhp that pops unwanted wheelies that I would bring here if I could figure out how to do it w/o paying taxes - any ideas?

kfrancis

Jan 8, 2002
rockharddesigns.com
Photo ID -- Post # 13

Motorcycler y Mirador,

First photo is a " flip " of the second but it is of the road down to Paraiso after going past Punta Arena. The correct photo is shot from Playa Paraiso looking north.

The third photo is Playa Paraiso looking South with Los Patos in the distance.

Last photo is Playa San Rafael looking to the North.

And I have to live with this " stuff " everyday !!!!

Going on my two month summer walkabout. Back August 1st...

you guys need to drop by Cabral when you are in the area.

take care,

kFrancisco de Cabral