Need some info about DR

L

Laurie

My boyfriend and I are going to Puerto Plata for the first time and I have a few questions: 1. Should we get any vacinations? How is the weather in May? Is it necessary to bring own bottled water? What about Malaria pills, are they necessary? Any info is appreciated.

J

Jack Wampler

Hello Laurie, The first time I went to the DR several years ago, I had the same questions you have and yes, I did have the vacinations and pills. Was it needed. The answer in my opinion is no. I have never had any illness of any sort and I travel to the DR usually 3 or 4 times a year. My wife has on occassion had some minor diarrea, so you might want to take some Immodium. Bottled water is readily available. Buy it when you get to Puerto Plata. Don't take it with you. Some hotels even have it for you free of charge. Just sit back, relax, and enjoy. My guess is you'll love it and you'll return time and again.

S

Susanne

Hi there.

You ought to check in on the site from Centers for Disease Control, USA (follow link below). They - and you own doctor, never forget him or her - can give you the best advice.

The few standard rules are: Malaria prophylaxis is not necessary unless you are going to stay overnight in rural areas or very close to the Haitian border.

Don't drink water unless it is boiled or purified. Bottled water is available everywhere and the water at your hotel and restaurants should be safe enough too. The same goes for ice cubes in most places. If you buy from very little local places or street vendors consider buying drinks without ice cubes. Nothing beats a cold Presidente beer anyway!

It is generally a very good idea to get vaccinated against Hepatitis A. The disease is usually not very severe, but unpleasant enough, and it is easily avoided by for instance a quick shot of immune globuline. The reason that you should get vaccinated against Hep. A and not the other sorts of hepatitis is that it spreads very easily through for instance water and food.

And generally you should consider getting vaccinated against diphteria and tetanus, both of which can be fatal.

The Dominican Republic does not have a lot of health problems. So what is mentioned above is more or less the standard "leaving the industrialised world" recommendations.

One more thing that a lot of foreigners forget: Measles are very common in most countries, including the Dominican Republic. If you bring unvaccinated children to the island, be aware of this. Measles are normally not a problem but in a very few cases they can cause diseases which are severe and even the hardiest children tend to get pretty ill from measles also when it isn't serious.

But generally: Enjoy yourself. This is not a country where strange and exotic tropical diseases lurk around every corner.

Regards, Susanne

J

JANE

Check out this excellant site ,it will answer most of your questions about DR.

E

El Gordo

about Debbie's Site

is that site a joke or what? i mean is she serious about all that lame pap or is it some kind of obcure Canadian joke? they do have a rather different sense if humor,maybe she's putting one over on us-whaddya think?

D

DR1

See DR1 Health Page

We discuss the principal issues related to travelers health in the DR at this web page. The page compiles answers to many many questions on the topic this board has received over the years.