Wage question

wildnfree

Jun 14, 2005
Hi

I have an enquiry about wages....
I've been offered a position teaching English in Santiago for about $100RD per hour. I have no idea if that is a reasonable wage or liveable. I am not in the DR but hope to organise a homestay in a local family or something to brush up on my Spanish. Any advice?

Wild

Hillbilly

Jan 1, 2002
Berlitz pays RD$125 an hour and other places pay more or less the same.
You cannot live on RD$100 an hour.
You cannot work 40 hours a week teaching English--it is difficult, physical work as well as psychologically challenging. If you can get 15 hours a week or so at any one place you will be lucky.
Be very careful what you get yurself into.

HB

SantiagoDR

The "REAL" SantiagoDR
Jan 12, 2006
$100 pesos translates roughly to about $3 U.S.

Even if you got 40 hours a week, highly unlikely as HB saids, that is still too low to live on if you are not a native here with lots of family.

Mirador

On Permanent Vacation!
Apr 15, 2004
...You cannot live on RD$100 an hour. HB

Haitian laborers are currently getting RD$400/day for heavy construction work in B?varo, Punta Cana and other regional tourist projects. They also get to sleep in the premises.

manunut

Nov 17, 2006
money,its a hit

Hi

I have an enquiry about wages....
I've been offered a position teaching English in Santiago for about $100RD per hour. I have no idea if that is a reasonable wage or liveable. I am not in the DR but hope to organise a homestay in a local family or something to brush up on my Spanish. Any advice?

Wild
did you get the job through the employment section here on dr1?
if not maybe you should post your credentials as i believe also that you are not going to get 40 hours of work a week at one place.at 8 hrs a day thats $24,ooord.not a lot of wonga down here living on your own.paying accomadation etc.

donquixote

Aug 2, 2005
the rate you are offered seems fair for the country. yes it is not enough to live, but at the same time you will still be able to subsidize living in paradize. I have two daughters living them and i always think, they may not be making much, but they have a 30 year headstart on the rest of us who are still working and wish we could live there full time and even pay for it.

tjmurray

Bronze
Aug 11, 2006
That is a pretty low hourly wage. I don't know if you would also be interested in living in the capital but if you are a native speaker with a college degree you will have more options. One is the PUCMM. They pay RD$250 an hour for teachers with a bachelors degree and RD$325 for a Masters. Another company called Prolingua which hires English teachers to teach inside of Dominican companies pays RD$250 the hour. In all honesty, I think you can do a lot better than RD$100.

ada

Feb 2, 2005
If you are a native speaker you can do much better than $100 an hour. You should try some colegios. I currently teach at a bilingual school, mind you it's not the best here in Santiago, and I get paid pretty good money. I do have degrees from the states and teaching experience. Trust me, most of these schools are mostly interested in that you are a native speaker. If you have any questions you can pm. Good luck.