Hanes laying off 1400 workers in Haina

Mirador

On Permanent Vacation!
Apr 15, 2004
"Hanesbrands Inc. will close at three plants in the Dominican Republic and cut 1,400 jobs as part of its ongoing effort to become more efficient, the company announced."

The Business Journal

Wait for a spike in crime in neighboring Santo Domingo...

mountainfrog

On Vacation!
Dec 8, 2003
www.domrep-info.com
Shifting the Crime

...Wait for a spike in crime in neighboring Santo Domingo...

... made up by less crime in Dos Rios...??

"Hanesbrands recently opened a textile manufacturing plant in Dos Rios, Dominican Republic, and still has six other sewing and assembly operations in the Caribbean nation."

m'frog

Jumbo

Bronze
Jul 8, 2005
The Levis i have on say made in Haiti. How long till the Doms start sneaking into there for factory work ???????????????

Capt. Rob57

Mar 22, 2006
good for them

they do not want to work. you have to pay them off to fire them. them come in late ever day, want to leave early, my father is sick, mother too please come on i have worked all over the world and these people simple do not want to work. do not blast me because i have 25 years trying to help Dominican companies FREE OF CHARGE to get the production up. i would be at the factory at 5 a.m. an nobody with keys would show up until 7-8 in the morning and then break for breakfast at 9. please... in the states i left my home at 3 am had a lunch break at 12 if there were no problems and finished my day at 11 at night. and hey got paid the same as my help. my people would not take lunch breaks because, they wanted to get done early to beat the traffic home and spend more time with there kids. on Fridays clean-up day soda Cuban sandwiches all around out of my pocket.

Mirador

On Permanent Vacation!
Apr 15, 2004
they do not want to work. you have to pay them off to fire them. them come in late ever day, want to leave early, my father is sick, mother too please come on i have worked all over the world and these people simple do not want to work. do not blast me because i have 25 years trying to help Dominican companies FREE OF CHARGE to get the production up. i would be at the factory at 5 a.m. an nobody with keys would show up until 7-8 in the morning and then break for breakfast at 9. please... in the states i left my home at 3 am had a lunch break at 12 if there were no problems and finished my day at 11 at night. and hey got paid the same as my help. my people would not take lunch breaks because, they wanted to get done early to beat the traffic home and spend more time with there kids. on Fridays clean-up day soda Cuban sandwiches all around out of my pocket.

No wonder all the jobs are going to China and India. By the way, did you know that
IBM is gearing up to lay off over 100,000 American employees?

Capt. Rob57

Mar 22, 2006
different

it is not that the American worker will not work you are trying to compare apples to oranges. i said the Dominicans will not work. look i have had the same chofer for the 25 years i have been coming to this country. hired him full time when i moved to the capital. in 25 years did try to learn English ? he is now 40 three wives 9 children on the same street in the same barrio. to the point i was paying him 10,000 pesos per month plus 2x1 vegies. when i go shopping i live solo so he got everything plus pampers,etc. for Christmas i bought him a new invesor plus 4-batt. and full health care ins. for him and all the kids. AND NOW THE REST OF THE STORY: my brother came in March for my birthday who also speaks fluent Spanish and my chofer has known my brother for 20 years. guess who got fresh and guess who no longer has a job...

incredible

Jul 9, 2006
it is not that the American worker will not work you are trying to compare apples to oranges. i said the Dominicans will not work. look i have had the same chofer for the 25 years i have been coming to this country. hired him full time when i moved to the capital. in 25 years did try to learn English ? he is now 40 three wives 9 children on the same street in the same barrio. to the point i was paying him 10,000 pesos per month plus 2x1 vegies. when i go shopping i live solo so he got everything plus pampers,etc. for Christmas i bought him a new invesor plus 4-batt. and full health care ins. for him and all the kids. AND NOW THE REST OF THE STORY: my brother came in March for my birthday who also speaks fluent Spanish and my chofer has known my brother for 20 years. guess who got fresh and guess who no longer has a job...

Captain,

How did he get fresh and what made you fire him?

Capt. Rob57

Mar 22, 2006
principle

having know us for over 25 years he thought he was my equal no longer an employee. my brother lost his sun glasses the clip on kind i said well i think the best place is el conde to buy them, chofer chimes in do you know how much they are going to cost. i did not ask for his opinion it is my brother who by the way had just brought my a 32" flat panel t.v. for my birthday. next we went fishing i told my chofer i wanted to bring some fish to my friend the colonel and to the general he says well they never call you do they. i do not need these people to call me i am simple gaining my points so when i need a favor the door is open. he wanted all the fish for himself. when we came home i went to take a shower i have a lazyboy guess who was sitting in the CAPTAINS CHAIR not my brother. my brother said Rob i would never sit in the capts. chair my chofer was sound asleep.

Mirador

On Permanent Vacation!
Apr 15, 2004
having know us for over 25 years he thought he was my equal no longer an employee. my brother lost his sun glasses the clip on kind i said well i think the best place is el conde to buy them, chofer chimes in do you know how much they are going to cost. i did not ask for his opinion it is my brother who by the way had just brought my a 32" flat panel t.v. for my birthday. next we went fishing i told my chofer i wanted to bring some fish to my friend the colonel and to the general he says well they never call you do they. i do not need these people to call me i am simple gaining my points so when i need a favor the door is open. he wanted all the fish for himself. when we came home i went to take a shower i have a lazyboy guess who was sitting in the CAPTAINS CHAIR not my brother. my brother said Rob i would never sit in the capts. chair my chofer was sound asleep.

Captain,

Tell us about your new chofer. Will you also pamper him like the first? By the way, congratulations for having such a splendorous brother.

Lambada

Gold
Mar 4, 2004
www.ginniebedggood.com
I'm still waiting to hear why the chauffeur was fired. And if, by some remote stretch of the imagination the cause lies buried in the posts above :laugh: maybe, Moderator, this could become a new sticky called 'How Not To Stay Safe In The DR'.......................;)

2LeftFeet

Bronze
Dec 1, 2006
Lambada I think he was fired because he didn't know his place. Gave his opinion when it wasn't asked for and then ultimately took advantage by sleeping in the captain's lz boy chair.

NALs

Economist by Profession
Jan 20, 2003
You gave him too much, you treated him beyond what would be normal in an employer-employee relationship, and he got the hint.

Did you allow him to wear casual clothing while on the job? No uniform?

With your next chofer, make him wear a uniform, tell him to refer to you as Sir or Mister XYZ rather than by your first name. Make it very clear in writing what his duties are as an employee, that he understands the employer-employee relationship and what boundaries are in place.

When you have a party in your home with friends/acquaintances, make it very clear that the party is for your friends/acquaintances and that your maids/butlers/chofers are not invited guests, thus they should not interact with your friends in any fashion except that for which they were hired as maids or butlers, etc.

It's like raising children, if you don't set boundaries from the beginning they will eventually think they are your equal and will treat you like one.

Set the boundaries, make them clear, and use re-enforcement whenever he breaks them.

If you don't do that, then you are going to be hiring and firing many chofers for years to come for the exact same reason.

-NALs

Mirador

On Permanent Vacation!
Apr 15, 2004
You gave him too much, you treated him beyond what would be normal in an employer-employee relationship, and he got the hint.

Did you allow him to wear casual clothing while on the job? No uniform?

With your next chofer, make him wear a uniform, tell him to refer to you as Sir or Mister XYZ rather than by your first name. Make it very clear in writing what his duties are as an employee, that he understands the employer-employee relationship and what boundaries are in place.

When you have a party in your home with friends/acquaintances, make it very clear that the party is for your friends/acquaintances and that your maids/butlers/chofers are not invited guests, thus they should not interact with your friends in any fashion except that for which they were hired as maids or butlers, etc.

It's like raising children, if you don't set boundaries from the beginning they will eventually think they are your equal and will treat you like one.

Set the boundaries, make them clear, and use re-enforcement whenever he breaks them.

If you don't do that, then you are going to be hiring and firing many chofers for years to come for the exact same reason.

-NALs

NALs, your advise is extemporaneous and uncalled-for. Are you telling the Captain how to run his own ship?

NALs

Economist by Profession
Jan 20, 2003
NALs, your advise is extemporaneous and uncalled-for. Are you telling the Captain how to run his own ship?
It's not an order, only a suggestion.

Last time I checked, suggestions can be accepted or rejected in whole or in part by anyone at any given time.

-NALs

Lambada

Gold
Mar 4, 2004
www.ginniebedggood.com
Lambada I think he was fired because he didn't know his place. Gave his opinion when it wasn't asked for and then ultimately took advantage by sleeping in the captain's lz boy chair.

Very kind of you to clarify for me..................;) Thank you.

This isn't to you, 2LeftFeet, because I know you get it, but my question is: wouldn't be the remotest chance that when this 'upstart' gave his opinion when it wasn't asked for that he was trying to be helpful? Read 'See here gringo, don't buy the sunglasses in El Conde because you'll get ripped off, there are cheaper places'.

Nals, I trust that your little lesson in behavioural psychology was a joke.

Chris

Gold
Oct 21, 2002
www.caribbetech.com
Is there a remote possibility that this thread could revert back to what the topic was originally? Not the captain and his chair ... Btw, if you're of seagoing persuasion, you'll never sit in the captain's chair. Here on land, well, I don't know how many people know about that specific prohibition.

Anyway .. reading this thread, what comes to my mind, is unmentionable .. something to do with long arms and big knuckles.

Yes, I know its fun, but please get back on topic. And do remember 'they' are all out to get you!

aegap

Silver
Mar 19, 2005
happy to oblige, ...old fashion consolidation

<table class="wires-brdr-btm" border="0" cellpadding="0" cellspacing="0" height="87" width="456"><tbody><tr><td height="40" valign="bottom">Monday, April 30, 2007</td> </tr> <tr> <td height="40" valign="bottom">COUNTRY REPORT</td> </tr> <tr> <td align="center"><table border="0" cellpadding="0" cellspacing="0" width="96%"> <tbody><tr><td class="titular_articulo" width="73%">Dominican Republic: Solid Growth, Strong Potential</td></tr></tbody></table></td></tr></tbody></table>

[FONT=Verdana,Arial,Helvetica,sans-serif]
The Dominican economy, the fastest-growing in Latin America, is expected to benefit strongly from CAFTA.​
[/FONT]

BY [Latin Business] CHRONICLE STAFF

.. Hanesbrands has invested more than $70 million in the initial stage of a facility to manufacture fabrics located in Bonao, at the export processing zone Dos Rios. It employs around 1,000 people. All in all, Hanesbrands employs 10,000 people in the Dominican Republic. That makes it the company?s largest manufacturing center in Latin America and second only to the United States, where it employs 13,000 workers, according to Hanesbrands spokesman Matt Hall. The Dominican facilities manufacture popular products like Hanes T-shirts and Playtex bras.

CAFTA

Although Hanesbrands has been in the Dominican Republic for 20 years, the free trade agreement with the United States (known as DR-CAFTA or CAFTA) has played a role in the company?s recent investment decisions. "CAFTA was a very important factor in our decision to [start] the [new] textile facility in the Dominican Republic" Hall says.

The impact of DR-CAFTA on investors will be significant," Manning says. "Many international companies are looking to the Dominican Republic as a platform to export to the United States due to the favorable and more flexible rules of origin negotiated in the agreement, the best to date in any such bilateral pact." Examples include shoe manufacturers from Spain and electronics firms from Korea, he says. "These investors will have better protection against violations and favorable, more effective means of dispute settlement, including contracts with the government," Manning says.

And the Dominican customs service has reduced the time it takes to process imported goods to 24 hours, while labor and environmental laws will be enforced under stiff penalties for noncompliance, he points out. "The best stimulant for investment and job creation, however, will be the transparency under which the government is committed to operate under new laws and regulations recently promulgated in preparation for DR-CAFTA," Manning says. "A similar commitment has been made to eliminate bribery and corruption in international trade."

CAFTA is also expected to help Dominican companies and consumers, who will be able to source less expensive products, experts say. "We expect some of the competitive pressure to bring prices down," says Eddy Martinez, a cabinet minister and executive director of the Dominican investment agency CEI-RD.
Textile and apparels will be among the top winners of CAFTA, thanks to the new rules of origin regulations, Martinez says. "We?re beginning to see more interest from U.S. companies that previously were not looking at the region, but because of the agreement, there?s a new awareness on a global scale," he says.
I suppose we should be thanking CAFTA those jobs aren't going to China or Central America?

http://209.85.165.104/search?q=cach...th,+Strong+Potential&hl=en&ct=clnk&cd=1&gl=us

Last edited:

aegap

Silver
Mar 19, 2005
".. Hanesbrands has invested more than $70 million in the initial stage of a facility to manufacture fabrics located in Bonao, at the export processing zone Dos Rios. It employs around 1,000 people.
CALL CENTERS
The Dominican Republic is also becoming a major area for contact centers in Latin America. It boasts more than 40 call centers, employing more than 18,000 people, according to government data. That?s more than contact centers employ in Panama and CAFTA countries like Costa Rica and El Salvador, according to the Zagada Institute.

U.S.-based Stream opened up its second contact center in the country in September. The new facility, located at the Cyberpark technology park just outside of Santo Domingo, employs 450 people. That comes on top of the San Isidro Industrial Free Zone, where Stream employs 800 people."

Last edited:

BushBaby

Silver
Jan 1, 2002
www.casabush.org
"CALL CENTERS
.............. according to government data.
That explains it ALL doesn't it?

So how do we get to the high unemployment rate in the country then? Lack of "GOVERNMENT" data to back up the spin?

I am sorry for those who are about to lose their jobs at Haynes - I hope the government can find spaces in the 'Statistical data' department for them!! ~ Grahame.