Buying a Boat in DR?

TarSeal

Nov 4, 2006
Can anyone who has bought a boat in the DR please let me know about your experience? How much did you pay? Where did you buy it, or who from? What now? Where do you dock it, and how much does that run? What would you do differently?

I would like to have a boat while I live in Santo Domingo.

TarSeal

Nov 4, 2006
Good points from Criss and m'frog. lol

I checked out the luperon link (thanks Tuan) and it had lots of old sailboats, but no powerboats. Def. not what I'm into. A new or very close to new outboard powerboat 25-30' is more my speed. I was hoping I could find something like 3-4 years old, with low hours, use it on weekends for a year then sell it for a minimal loss of value when I leave the DR.

TarSeal

Nov 4, 2006
You would not have to wait that long... ;)
There's quite a demand for these boats, they are not bought, however, but stolen rather...

m'frog

:pirate: Aye, they'd be pryin' 'er from me cold dead fingers.

...Then my wife would kill me again. :paranoid:

Matilda

RIP Lindsay
Sep 13, 2006
Try calling Hans, 8094817561. German boatbuilder,in Juan Dolio. he builds boats for the people reound here - la Romana tpo Santa Domingo. All sorts fromspeed boats to big catamarans. He can give you idea of prices and let you know who is selling what. Speaks German, but only a little english and spanish.

Matilda

Capt. Rob57

Mar 22, 2006
Contact me

PLEASE CONTACT ME AND I WILL JIVE YOU ALL THE INFO YOU NEED TO MANY PEOPLE POST JUST B.S. ON THESE FORUMS.

(Capt. Rob57, feel free to tell us your story - we do not allow free advertising on this board - moderator)

Last edited by a moderator:

Conchman

Silver
Jul 3, 2002
www.oceanworld.net
Try calling Hans, 8094817561. German boatbuilder,in Juan Dolio. he builds boats for the people reound here - la Romana tpo Santa Domingo. All sorts fromspeed boats to big catamarans. He can give you idea of prices and let you know who is selling what. Speaks German, but only a little english and spanish.

Matilda

I visited his boat yard about a year or two ago, and he looked like he was making quality boats 20 to 30 feet (center console type made of fiberglass with outboard engines) and some bigger dive company cats, but I'm no expert in this.

Squat

Tropical geek in Las Terrenas
Jan 1, 2002
Ask for Lucas, the french boat-builder from Luperon. He build very good catamaran (power-boat, not sailing ones...)

Capt. Rob57

Mar 22, 2006
Boat buying

PLEASE CONTACT ME AND I WILL JIVE YOU ALL THE INFO YOU NEED TO MANY PEOPLE POST JUST B.S. ON THESE FORUMS.

(Capt. Rob57, feel free to tell us your story - we do not allow free advertising on this board - moderator)

Hey MR. MORERATOR, I OWN NO BUSINESS HERE BUT WHEN I READ THE POSTS MANY PEOPLE GIVE NO USEFUL INFO THEY USE THE FORUMS AS A WAY TO COMUNICATE BACK AND FORTH WHY DON'T THEY JUST SEND EACH OTHER E-MAILS. MY POST IS SIMPLE AS A LINC. U.S. MASTER CAPITAN FOR 30 YEARS AND OVER 25 YEARS EXPERIENCE HERE AND HAVING BOUGHT A NEW BOAT LESS THAN ONE YEAR AGO I THINK I KNOW WHERE TO GO AND WHO TO BUY FROM. DO YOU? NOW IF YOU WANT ME TO LIST THE THIEVES TO AVOID I WILL OR WHO ARE LEGIT BUSINESS PEOPLE I WILL DO THIS ALSO I JUST SIMPLE WANTED THE POSTER TO CONTACT ME.

DavidZ

Silver
Aug 29, 2005
www.vipcigartours.com
I was hoping I could find something like 3-4 years old, with low hours, use it on weekends for a year then sell it for a minimal loss of value when I leave the DR.

Didn't want to state the obvious, and maybe things are different here than in the US, but it's tough to use a boat for a year, then expect to sell it when you're done (especially since you'll have a specific date you need to sell it by)...and it will always be at FAR from a minimal loss...boats probably have the highest depreciation rate of any big toy...

And Im not just spewing BS... Ive owned most of the big toys you can buy...except a plane, and boats have been by far the costliest, including in terms of cash return when I was "done" with it.

Do they have anything here like Club Nautica or Freedom Boat Club, where you have as much use of a boat or group of boats as you'd like, without having to actually own one? ...not fractional ownership....

Last edited:

Chris

Gold
Oct 21, 2002
www.caribbetech.com
If you type all in caps, it is considered shouting .. in the on-line world. So, don't shout any longer please.

Why don't you just tell us what your experience was. The posters are all adults and can make up their own minds. If you tell us who to avoid, make sure you can back that up with proof that is strong enough to stand up in a court of law.

If you like e-mail so much, please use it. If you don't like this board, please feel free to use your e-mail, or find another one.

So, no more 'SHOUTING' please. If you have information to give, please give it. This is how we use the board. So, now you know and can fall in with the board etiquette just like the rest of us.

Hey MR. MORERATOR, I OWN NO BUSINESS HERE BUT WHEN I READ THE POSTS MANY PEOPLE GIVE NO USEFUL INFO THEY USE THE FORUMS AS A WAY TO COMUNICATE BACK AND FORTH WHY DON'T THEY JUST SEND EACH OTHER E-MAILS. MY POST IS SIMPLE AS A LINC. U.S. MASTER CAPITAN FOR 30 YEARS AND OVER 25 YEARS EXPERIENCE HERE AND HAVING BOUGHT A NEW BOAT LESS THAN ONE YEAR AGO I THINK I KNOW WHERE TO GO AND WHO TO BUY FROM. DO YOU? NOW IF YOU WANT ME TO LIST THE THIEVES TO AVOID I WILL OR WHO ARE LEGIT BUSINESS PEOPLE I WILL DO THIS ALSO I JUST SIMPLE WANTED THE POSTER TO CONTACT ME.

Capt. Rob57

Mar 22, 2006
sorry

i just started typing and that's how it came out sorry you are so sensitive. you want facts when i post them you delete me . Fact # one the boat builder by las americas airport who by the way is owned by auto marina would not sign a legal binding contract, and wanted 50% up-front. now if that is not a scam you tell me. i had my boat build by my specs. by the Yamaha dealer on auto pisto duarte outside of the capital on the way to carrefore. great guy his brother has the dealership for all Yamaha musical and outboard motors etc. here. great people. now i do not know what the cost is now but almost one year ago i paid 22,000 dollars for a 22 foot center console with a 4 stroke 100 hp Yamaha. including soft top beautiful boat and eats up the water and gets great gas mileage. again you guys permit much useless info on these forums and when real people have opinions contrary to your standards you delete us i know this is a private board but hey freedom of speech. if you want to delete get rid of all the ones who post about chulas,putas,rameras,etc. there is more constructive things to talk about.

Mirador

On Permanent Vacation!
Apr 15, 2004
No need to buy a boat in the DR. Take my first cousin's (and namesake) experience. He bought two large boats in Florida at a government auction, probably seized from drug runners. Then he sailed them to the DR, outfitted them for high seas fishing. Made some money, and moved to North Carolina, where he's now retired and in the real estate business, after having raised a numerous family...