A Good Dominican Movie

Guatiao

El Leon de los Cacicazgos
Mar 27, 2004
I am being very broad when I ask this question/statement, I'm including movies made by Dominicans and movies about DR topics. I just saw "The Galindez Files", and it was bad. The movie is about a collegiate researching Galindez mysterious disappearance, it supposedly takes place in DR, and the plot revolves around the Dominican Republic and Trujillo, etc. In reality, the movie is filmed in Cuba with Cuban actors, it looks and feels nothing like DR. I was not amused by the plot or direction, I was amazed how the lead actress tried to carry the script, she was the only enjoyable part of the film. After viewing this film, I began to ponder, "will there ever be a good Dominican movie?"
I've seen many Dominican films. The only film that I've "enjoyed" to date is "Negocios son negocios", I would rate it a 5/10. The script is not original, it has a bunch of Dominican cliches, for example mentioning the name of the movie in the movie. Some of the characters are miscast-ed (sic), for example Cuquin Victoria as the evil banker Jacinto Montes de Oca, he just can't play an evil person. The jokes although cliche seem to be more than plain old Dominican humor, universal, they gave me a nice chuckle.
After viewing movies from other countries I wonder if the Dominican movie industry will ever catch up. I've seen bad movies from other countries as well but yet some can make me think, for example the Spaniard produced film "Goya's Ghost", this movie was not particularly bad, just disappointing. "Goya's Ghost" at least gave me something to think about, although the director seems to be throwing alot of ideas to the audience until one would stick. The Mexican film industry has grown since the days of ranchero movies, nowadays they have produce good films such as "Y tu mama tambien", "Amores perros", and even controversial films such as "Batalla en el cielo".
What bothers me as well are the movies done by foreigners about DR or a Dominican topic that just are not well thought out. "The Galindez Files" is a perfect example, why is it that movies about DR are filmed in Cuba, yet movies about Cuba are filmed in DR? "La fiesta del chivo" is another movie that let me down, after viewing it a couple of times since me first review, I just think Trujillo wasn't represented as the tyrant he was, and the atmosphere of 1960s DR wasn't captured.
Another thing that comes to my mind was the supposed Studio (LF announced) that was going to be built in DR for like $2 Billion Dollars, what ever happened to that?
So to conclude, do you think that the DR film industry will ever produce a good movie?

Peace.
Heketi

NALs

Economist by Profession
Jan 20, 2003
I won't say that we will never see a really good movie because never is a very long time.

If at least one Dominican movie is produced each year from now to eternity and assuming the quality of the average film doesn't improve by much, most of those movies will be crap but a few will be real gems. It's a numbers game, the more movies are produced the greater the chances a good one will come through some day, but that will only be an anomaly.

I think that we are years from seeing a consistent flow of good Dominican movies.

As the Dominican film industry expands and attracts more directors/producers, the quality will inevitably improve. It's either that or the Dominican film industry will experience a premature death.

It's like the old saying: "good things takes time."

-NALs :)

Mirador

On Permanent Vacation!
Apr 15, 2004
"free marketers" be damned, but the only way the DR can develop a decent film industry is through legislation, like making it compulsory that all movie theaters have to show a Dominican made movie at least one day of the week.

Squat

Tropical geek in Las Terrenas
Jan 1, 2002
I don't think we'll ever see a good dominican movie, because if it was good, it couldn't be made by dominicans for dominicans. They have a different sense of entertainment than us westerners. They don't laugh at the same jokes. They don't get our subtility, and sometimes we fail to see what could be subtle in theirs...

If you are a westerner, and you want to see what dominicans really like, just watch national TV, Telemicro, Colorvision etc... Sabado de Corporan, La opci?n de las doce etc...

If you are dominican reading my post and thinking I am wrong... Well, you are part of the minority then... First, regular dominicans don't read DR1, then most of them don't read english anyway...

something_of_the_night

Has left the building...
Feb 7, 2006
Nunca.

When the lights go on at Wrigley Field. Okay, I take that back.

How 'bout cuando Col?n baje el deo?

Durante la semana de los siete jueves.

En el mes de notiembre.

The 12th of never.

Indie

Bronze
Nov 15, 2002
You're right, Kid. I've yet to see any Dominican-made, Dominican-produced, or Dominican-acted movie that was any good. None. They are so......stupid. And cliche. They are insulting to the average person's intelligence.

I've often wondered, "Where do they get these 'actors?'", and who told the 'writer' he could write, or the 'director' he could direct? Their "creativity" is so limited and they have such narrow minds and corny humor. They need to get out more, read more, broaden their horizons, and explore the world before they start thinking they can represent the DR and show the rest of the world a cinematic interpretation of anything.

I, however, am more than happy to act in any movie. And as soon as I have sufficient time to totally immerse myself in this project, I will begin writing my memoirs and its ensuing script. Seriously, any takers? :classic:

-Indie

qgrande

Bronze
Jul 27, 2005
Well, a good movie, it depends what you consider a good movie I suppose. Some would say that Hollywood doesn't produce any good movies. But I just saw the latest Dominican production, Yuniol, and although it wasnt something to remember for the rest of your life, I enjoyed watching it. The shots were nothing artistic, more soap-opera style, but the acting wasn't too bad, and the story entertaining. Nothing new, a rich kid and a poor kid, learing about eachothers lives, different preconceptions among different social classes about how the other half lives, and in the end everything turns out wonderfull, but it is well put together. It was at least a lot better than the Dominican comedies I have seen.

something_of_the_night

Has left the building...
Feb 7, 2006
MamIndie, baby, I'm with you 100%.

And after 10 minutes of "Perico Ripiao," I placed the DVD in the trash, along with my copy of "Andrea," which I didn't bother inserting into the player.

Later, one of my "smart" cousins was bragging about how good "Perico" was - we don't talk much, by the way... I listen a lot.

Indie

Bronze
Nov 15, 2002
The ONLY half-way decent movie I recommend watching that is smart and has Dominican actors in it is "Raising Victor Vargas." It is an indie film about the coming-of-age story of a Dominican lad and his dysfunctional family set in Brooklyn, New York. It is hilarious, real, human, and the actors basically play themselves in the movie. I think the director let them do what they wanted and it actually worked, 'cause they were honest. My mom knows the actor who plays the grandmother in the movie, Tatica/Altagracia, and she is exactly the way her character is portrayed in the movie. The casting director, Mr. Terrero, who happens to be a New York-raised Dominican, did a really good job casting these kids in my opinion. He got them all from Washington Heights.

If you get a chance, you should definitely watch this movie. It's out on VHS/DVD and Blockbuster has it. Also some public libraries in the US have it.
Let me know your opinions.

-Indie

A.Hidalgo

Silver
Apr 28, 2006
Indie

I agree with you "Raisin Victor Vargas" is a good movie, seen it twice, but I think the OP is referring to movies directed and produced in the DR. Raisin Victor Vargas was directed by an American Peter Sollett and producers were European.

Indie

Bronze
Nov 15, 2002
Yes, you're right. So I'll have to reiterate: never, maybe cuando haya luz en la RD. So, there will never be a good Dominican movie made by Dominicans.

something_of_the_night

Has left the building...
Feb 7, 2006
MamIndie, babe, and how 'bout American-made films with "Dominican" actors, like "Dominican" Jeffrey Wright in Shaft?

I remember John Singleton and Spike Lee used to complain about Hollywood not having enough blacks in leading roles. Then Singleton casts Wright as a Dominican.

Damn, I could've played that role a lot better, and with the accent to boot. You believe me, don't you, MamIndie?

-The Kid

Funnyyale26

Bronze
Dec 15, 2006
Why never? I hate this negativism from foreigners and the negativism from Dominicans, who have inherited this ridiculous idea from our Spanish ancestors that somehow, we are not capable of doing anything and that we have to depend on others. We can do anything we propose, its just a matter of us putting our mind into it. If countries such as Singapore and New Zealand (who don?t have many resources) were able to prosper, then so can we. If we wanted to, we could build the largest cinematographic industry in all of the Caribbean, it's just a matter of politicians and investors coming together and believing in our potential.

He dicho!

Rick Snyder

Silver
Nov 19, 2003
Excuse me Heketi as I momentarily waver from the subject of your OP. In my deviation from the subject matter it must be understood that it still pertains to a certain extent.

I was very glad to hear the words "negativism from Dominicans' used in conjunction with the proverbial "negativism from foreigners". With all the 'negativism' being heard from all sectors and as it has gotten so much publicizing lately in the media it has the tendency to bring out another old adage that goes something like "If enough different people tell you the same thing there is the tremendous possibility that they are right". Human nature being what it is does make some people mad when truths are spoken which therefore requires some people to acquire a protective outer covering such as an armadillo.

All of this is compounded a thousand times as it relates to all subjects discussed here simply because of the noun nomenclature represented by the DR in DR1.

I find it strange for the use of the words, "If we wanted to" being used in conjunction with 'desarrollo' as it applies to all aspects of living. Reading such automatically brings up another old adage that says, "If the dog hadn't stopped to schit he would have caught the rabbit". As he did stop and as the rabbit did excape then he is forever destined to chase that sucker.

Now what were we talking about? ...... Movies? ......... Noun nomenclature! ..... I rest my case .........

Indie

Bronze
Nov 15, 2002
MamIndie, babe, and how 'bout American-made films with "Dominican" actors, like "Dominican" Jeffrey Wright in Shaft?

I remember John Singleton and Spike Lee used to complain about Hollywood not having enough blacks in leading roles. Then Singleton casts Wright as a Dominican.

Damn, I could've played that role a lot better, and with the accent to boot. You believe me, don't you, MamIndie?

-The Kid

Yup, both you and I could've played ALL those roles a lot better, and we would've gotten that film an Oscar nomination at least. How's that for positive optimism? (As opposed to a double-negative?)

-Indie

Guatiao

El Leon de los Cacicazgos
Mar 27, 2004
Since my last post I see a couple of people chimed in. Actually I was talking about movies centered around DR and Dominicans in DR, not movies like "Raising Victor Vargas". I just saw "Un macho de mujer", and it was good for about the 1st 30 minutes, once the "roles" were changed, the movie also changed and it was bad. The ending offered no resolution, left to many unanswered questions and possibilities.

I don't mean to be a harsh critic, but I've seen many films about and/or from Latin America and Spain that are great. Apocalypto (shot in Mexico and about a time period involving Mexico), Abre los ojos (inspired Vanilla Sky), Amores perros, and the list can go on.... are all goods films that do not have huge budgets (except Apocalypto), those films rely on talent and vision, Abre los ojos is a great example.