Puerto Plata birthday party

reese_in_va

Feb 22, 2007
I am looking for a cool place to have a birthday party for a five year old boy in Puerto Plata. There will be about 10 - 15 kids invited.
Does anyone know of a place that would accomadate this kind of party? Food and entertainment is a must and I am drawing a blank as to how and where to celebrate this special moment for a special little boy.
Any help would be very appreciated.
Thanks

Frankie

Nov 28, 2006
The go-cart place on the road from Puerto Plata to Sosua is good for parties. I have not been to one but I know quite a few people who have had parties there and been happy. Quite reasonably priced I think.

reese_in_va

Feb 22, 2007
That's definately a cool idea, but I'm not sure if it is age appropriate. Do they have mini-carts? I could see the parents having most of the fun...
Someone has also mentoned "hemingways cafe", but that option is closed, due to it being the last party that thrown.

Lambada

Gold
Mar 4, 2004
www.ginniebedggood.com
International Pizzeria (on roundabout near new Courts and baseball stadium). Last time I was there they had swings etc (adult supervision needed). It is possible to sit outside so messy eaters wouldn't be a problem. The owner, Enzo, speaks English. They don't have stuff like magicians, Punch & Judy etc but you could probably hire in someone for that. If the kids are from the more economically deprived group, the sight of pizzas might remove the need for entertainment. Or ask Enzo if he has a clown outfit ....................:laugh:

Rocky

Honorificabilitudinitatibus
Apr 4, 2002
www.rockysbar.com
Isn't there still a restaurant on the Malecon, nearer to the Eastern end, that has a playground?
Kids gotta love that

C

Chip00

Take them to Ocean World. If you find that that is too expensive take the kid to Costambar from some swimming and checking out the natural reefs. The water is super clear and there are not much waves and one can see all kinds of critters like crab, sponges? fish and the like. Be careful because the black sponges? sting but they haven't got me yet.

Also, I recommend the Restaurant "Entre Amigos" on the Malecon on the left side heading west and a Pizzeria that has the best REAL itilaian pizza here in the DR. The owner is Italian and it is not far from the Malecon and it starts with P or something. If you ask for the pizzaria with the owner who is "gringo-italiano" I bet they'll point you to the right place.

monfongo

Bronze
Feb 10, 2005
cris and maddys in cofresi, they do a lot of partys for kids,nice place good atmosphere.

C

Chip00

OK - DON'T go to Costambar - I just learned the water is polluted. Take them to Sosua Bay Beach instead(this from Rocky).

Charlielyn

Bronze
Jul 31, 2005
In May, I walked by a restaurant on Beller and there was the most amazing Pirate theme birthday party going on there. Don't know the name of the restaurant, but it is on the north side of Beller not too far from Parque Central because I was walking at the time. They had balloons, pirate costumes on the servers, pirate hats for the kids, and treasure chests on each table. There is an open air section in front of the restaurant that was very private.

Frankie

Nov 28, 2006
That's definately a cool idea, but I'm not sure if it is age appropriate. Do they have mini-carts? I could see the parents having most of the fun...
Someone has also mentoned "hemingways cafe", but that option is closed, due to it being the last party that thrown.

I thought about the age before I responded and I am not too sure. When I was there with my son who is 8 there were tiny little kids there. Also they have a little playground as well. I think you would have to call them or go along and see them.

reese_in_va

Feb 22, 2007
Thanks for all the great ideas. Please keep them coming, I am checking each and everyone out.
I was at Costambar on Sat. morning did not notice any unusual polluted water then what comes afloat there. I did go out on the reefs but realized that my feet where getting cut. Next time I'll bring an old pair of sneakers and lay off of the Presidente's :)
I really like the pirate theme party that was witnessed on Beller.
Today I am going to fun city and portifinos, then onto Beller and also cris and maddy's, of course not in that order.
Since I am a "gringo-Italiano" myself I like the idea of the best Italian pizza in the DR, this should be a hoot. This I am most curious. Please no Italian jokes :)

juanita

Bronze
Apr 22, 2004
Don't you have Burger King, Pizza Hut, Mc Donald, Pizzarelli..etc.. in Puerto Plata? These places always have birthday party plans, with clown and all. No need to cook, entertain or clean after!

Rocky

Honorificabilitudinitatibus
Apr 4, 2002
www.rockysbar.com
The people at the party store on Beller, on the right hand side going up the hill, would surely know where to hold the best kiddy parties.

C

Chip00

Thanks for all the great ideas. Please keep them coming, I am checking each and everyone out.
I was at Costambar on Sat. morning did not notice any unusual polluted water then what comes afloat there. I did go out on the reefs but realized that my feet where getting cut. Next time I'll bring an old pair of sneakers and lay off of the Presidente's :)
I really like the pirate theme party that was witnessed on Beller.
Today I am going to fun city and portifinos, then onto Beller and also cris and maddy's, of course not in that order.
Since I am a "gringo-Italiano" myself I like the idea of the best Italian pizza in the DR, this should be a hoot. This I am most curious. Please no Italian jokes :)

I think I got the right info for the Pizzaria - give them a call.

Pizzer?a Portofino
Av Hnas Mirabal 12
Puerto Plata
(809) 586-2858

Also, I couldn't tell myself that the water was dirty at Costambar but that isn't always evident. If the Wastewater treatment plant is close by the type of chemicals they could be releasing are heavy metals and a nutrient rich effluent. The two on their own aren't necessarily dangerous in small quantites but I don't know what the concentrations would be like. A telltale sign of sever pollution would be smell and there hasn't been any smell apparent to me.

Nonetheless, I won't go back until I do some more investigation and since I am a Civil Engineer hopefully I'll be able to verify the discharge point and effluent quality by doing some research.

reese_in_va

Feb 22, 2007
Yes Juanita there is a pizza hut that I know of in Playa Dorada. Not sure if they can throw a party, although they would love the business.
Thanks again Chip for the info. I am definately going to stop at Portofinos, even if it is just to try out the pies.
As far as the oceanic pollutants, this is not a good thing at all. I'm not educated in this field, but I know enough to understand the impact it can have on aquatic life and the disastrous effect it can have on us water rats.
Too bad your skills can't be put to use on the major roadways, i.e. DRAINAGE !

Lambada

Gold
Mar 4, 2004
www.ginniebedggood.com
If you're another Italian at least pop in to see Enzo (my post above) even if it isn't on your list to check out - he's Italian too. Portofino's restaurant was closed last week, you'll doubtless find out if this is a long or short term thing.

C

Chip00

If you're another Italian at least pop in to see Enzo (my post above) even if it isn't on your list to check out - he's Italian too. Portofino's restaurant was closed last week, you'll doubtless find out if this is a long or short term thing.

I ate at a restaurant that I thought was Portofino's on Sunday. It is close to the Malecon and on a divided road with lots of shade and the owner is Italian - does anybody know what the name is?

midnitemed

Dec 7, 2005
Yes, that is Porofino's. It is not closed. I get my pizza there all the time. the last time was on Sunday. The owner is Italian and I like the pizza very much. They may be closed one day of the week, which may be what a previous poster was refering to.