Need a Room to Rent in Santo Domingo

Jabari

May 7, 2007
I'm a 25 year old graduate student from New York City going to Santo Domingo from May 31 - July 12 for a summer break. I do speak Spanish and I'm making this trip as economical as possible, wanting to live humbly while I'm there as if I were a native, not planning on partying. Does anyone have info on housing options? I was considering renting an apartment for the 6 weeks or paying a family to rent out one of their rooms. How much per month should I expect to spend for housing (and again, I plan on living humbly like a native Dominican)? Thanks for all help and feel free to email me info about in families I could contact for a room or services that I could utilize: daronjh@hotmail.com :)

Last edited:

amparocorp

Bronze
Aug 11, 2002
my humble best dominican friend in SD just bought his humble dominican wife a new porsche cayenne, after they got back from skiing in vail. NO, he is not a drug dealer. you will be surprised to find that people here have elevators in their buildings, do not live in grass shacks, and even have indoor plumbing. outside SD can be another story. i don't personally know any natives that don't party, i know some that don't drink, but they still party.
go to the SD thread, elsewhere on this website, and read up on the cheap hotels, that should do you fine for 6 weeks..............if you really want humble natives i would suggest staten island...........and don't ever, ever, ever call this place "the dominican"..................sorry to sound like a pr!*k, and i'm sure you will like here and i hope you have a good time.........

Rocky

Honorificabilitudinitatibus
Apr 4, 2002
www.rockysbar.com
Perhaps someone could suggest a good cheap hotel in Santo Domingo for when the OP first arrives.
If he decides to stay in Santo Domingo, then he can go look for a cheaper room, and if after a couple of days, he's dying to get out and go explore the rest of the country, then he won't have locked himself into a long rental.

tjmurray

Bronze
Aug 11, 2006
I would contact this man: Alejandro Quirico (809) 858-9474. He owns a building in the Colonial Zone as well as Gazcue. He mainly deals with foreigners and can accommodate short stays. Idk what your idea of humble is but I find his rent prices rather reasonable in comparison to others. I just moved out of one of his apt's in the Zona and it was a good experience.