passport fiasco for my buddy in april

Sep 19, 2005
well my buddy has been going to Punta Cana a few times a year for several years now. He is a canadian who has some sort of green card status in america, but isnt an american citizen. He has lived here for 35 years. He went with his wife and 3 kids, got to the delta check in at JFK in new york, they hit their snag.

This is the first time they have flown since the new rules. They booked the flight last october!! First off it is obvous to them that the plane was way over booked and tensions are high. So the delta lady wasnt to understanding when my buddy didnt have a passport. he doesnt have one period. They told him he wasnt getting on the plane. He had his green card( or what ever it actually is) and his other identifications....but they still said no.

So of the options available, they pick sending the wife and kids on that flight and he would get another flight the next day..or try to anyway...

In my mind I am thinking one day wont matter, he still wont have the passport...but after many calls and argueing...he is told if he wants he can buy a one way ticket to the DR with delta...because the DR doesnt care if you have a passport or not...but that they wont let him get back on a delta flight to JFK at the end of the vacation...so he books an Air canada flight to Monteal Canada from Punta Cana.. and figures he will just drive to his house he has in Quebec for a few days of skiing... it'll that cost a lot of money of course.....

fast forward to the end of vacation.....when saying goodby at Punta Cana when they were leaving, they told the story to Delta there, and those employees said...NO you can enter with that green card...that is an acceptable form of ID.....but the flight is full so he cant buy a ticket for that flight....they print out a paper showing that in fact after the few forms of document that are well known that are acceptable...in parenthesis, is the wording that this form of ID he has is also acceptable.....well he flies into montreal , but there is no snow...so he drives home in a rental car.....after a few days his wife finds all the info that proves that he was legal with his documents.....a travel agency says right off they know that docment is ok.

funny though I went to the state dept web site and i cant find this little piece of information.....the passport, airnexus card and merchant mariners card, and some temporary passport card.....but that is it...

so basically there is info out there , that isnt shared very well...and some employees of the airlines know about it andf some dont..... or dont want to know whenthey ahve over booked a flight

on another note they could not believe the amount of hookers guys were bringing back to their rooms every night...they said the guy next door had a different one every night.....and they would pass men with their OBVIOUS( not my term) hookers walking in the hall!!!!!!!!! This is a supposedly 5STAR resort!!!

plus the hotel The Paradesious( spelling may be off) over booked as well, and they were put into a sister hotel for 2 days, then moved!!!!

this was the middle of April

So much for his relaxing break from his buisness... ha ha ha

probably made him double his blood prssure medicine!!!!!!!

bob

Sep 19, 2005
I did find the info that says he was set with hsi documents

Under the Western Hemisphere Travel Initiative (WHTI)
The proposed implementation timeline has two phases:
  • Beginning January 23, 2007, ALL persons, including U.S. citizens, traveling by air between the United States and Canada, Mexico, Central and South America, the Caribbean, and Bermuda will be required to present a valid passport, Air NEXUS card, or U.S. Coast Guard Merchant Mariner Document, or an Alien Registration Card, Form I-551, if applicable.
sounds like deanshaw is off his medication ...

bob

AnnaC

Gold
Jan 2, 2002
So is he now planning to at least get a Canadian passport if he's not an American citizen yet? It's got to be cheaper than what he went through.

BTW if he's Canadian and that was more than likely what his other documents showed, he can fly into Canada without a passport and he can drive into the US without a passport for a few more years. ;)

Sep 19, 2005
Well he must be a canadian citizen, because he has the alien registration card.....

but he wont be to happy about flying into Canada when he really wants to fly into JFK!!!!!!! its an hour and a half from jfk...it has to be 6 hours from montreal back to his home in CT.

he has a house on the VT-Canada border on some lake that is in both countries......I cant begin to try and spell it....

I posted because i can imagine someone else might run into that issue...and the airline might try to deny them mistakenly

bob