Even foreigners toss garbage

tjmurray

Bronze
Aug 11, 2006
One of my biggest pet peeves is watching someone throw garbage on the street. Obviously, this is one of the worst pet peeves to have in the Dominican Republic where tossing garbage is basically the norm.

This morning I observed a man literally cleaning out his SUV by throwing the clutter out his window. My girlfriend tells me I can't fight with everyone on the street and I understand that, but at times something has to be said. When I pulled up next to the gentlemen I asked him in a sarcastic tone, "Do you have any more garbage to throw on the street?" He then switched into tough guy mode (maybe because there was a women sitting in the passenger's side) and I immediately noticed he was not Dominican, but instead German. His response to my question..."This is the Dominican Republic, the street is where garbage belongs."

The ensuing conversation after I was given that comment should not be written on this board. It's bad enough that Dominicans toss garbage wherever they feel necessary but a foreigner doing the same does not help the situation at all.

I realize that throwing garbage on the street has nothing to do with being Dominican and everything to do with a total lack of education and total disregard for your surroundings.

Rocky

Honorificabilitudinitatibus
Apr 4, 2002
www.rockysbar.com
One of my biggest pet peeves is watching someone throw garbage on the street. Obviously, this is one of the worst pet peeves to have in the Dominican Republic where tossing garbage is basically the norm.

This morning I observed a man literally cleaning out his SUV by throwing the clutter out his window. My girlfriend tells me I can't fight with everyone on the street and I understand that, but at times something has to be said. When I pulled up next to the gentlemen I asked him in a sarcastic tone, "Do you have any more garbage to throw on the street?" He then switched into tough guy mode (maybe because there was a women sitting in the passenger's side) and I immediately noticed he was not Dominican, but instead German. His response to my question..."This is the Dominican Republic, the street is where garbage belongs."

The ensuing conversation after I was given that comment should not be written on this board. It's bad enough that Dominicans toss garbage wherever they feel necessary but a foreigner doing the same does not help the situation at all.

I realize that throwing garbage on the street has nothing to do with being Dominican and everything to do with a total lack of education and total disregard for your surroundings.
Guys like that need to be taught a lesson.
When a Dominican does it because he doesn't know better, it's a lot more excusable than a gringo who thinks he can come here and trash this country, just because he can get away with it.
Next time, follow the dude and find out where he lives, then you'll know where to dump your garbage for the next month or two.

manunut

Nov 17, 2006
right and wrong.......

it's a pet hate of mine too.
a lot of europe had this BIG problem i recall around 30 or so years ago.
EVERYBODY,has to do their bit to eliminate it.As was the solution in a nbr of countries in europe since then.
so not really suprised you dident "buy'the guys excuse for chucking his cwap out on to the side of the road.

BTW:my mother is a Murray.maybe "we" are "geneticaly" programmed to be
9issed at this sort of anti social behavior?:glasses:

Chirimoya

Dec 9, 2002
Good on you for saying something. No matter how he reacted, there's a good chance that he'll think twice before doing it again.

Conchman

Silver
Jul 3, 2002
www.oceanworld.net
It has to do with a lack of enforcement - not a lack of education. People know its wrong when they do it, they just don't care because there is no enforcement of the law. In Europe or in the US, people would report this to the police and the police would actually do something. Here? They would laugh at you.

tflea

Bronze
Jun 11, 2006
Regardless

Regardless of what is known or not known or by whom, I like the idea Rocky has to follow offenders home (discretely) and dump on 'em for a while. And super glue works great on padlocked gates if one chooses to rub the point in with more fervor.

miguel

I didn't last long...
Jul 2, 2003
Lo mismo que a mi....

Holly Lasagna, Batman;

The exact thing happened to me a few years ago!!.

After visiting DR1 member, Jan (now MIA), my buddy and I went to where his car was parked and I saw a guy cleaning his car by throwing his garbage out on the streed. Mind you, there was a bin about 10 feet away.

I told the guy: "hey buddy why not just put it inside the bin", to which he replied (with an English accent) that "this is the Dominican Republic and garbage was all over the streets". To which I replied:

"Yes, I can see that, the second I saw you I knew where you belong, in the streets, among the garbage".

He looked at me funny and looked at his companion, someone as ugly as an elbow, and said something I didn't catch. Then my friend told him, in broken English:

"Listen fool, don't act macho if you don't want to get embarassed in front of her. Go mess-up your own country, dummy".

He just put his tail between his legs, got in his car and drove off with "elbow".

kbf

Apr 24, 2002
I am going to guess that English is not your first language, thus explaining why you so grossly misinterpreted what I wrote.
I will further guess that you are German and have some type of thorn in your side about it.
Don't take your problems out on me.
Although it is true that there are a lot of things I don't know yet, it will always be that way, but I do know enough to know that you know less, yet want to prove to me that you know more.

I can read you loud and clear and if you think I have to proof you something, think again. I do know what I do and don?t know and your guesses, just keep them to yourself, like you should do it with lots of your comments. Who cares about your opinion anyway??

NALs

Economist by Profession
Jan 20, 2003
It has to do with a lack of enforcement - not a lack of education. People know its wrong when they do it, they just don't care because there is no enforcement of the law. In Europe or in the US, people would report this to the police and the police would actually do something. Here? They would laugh at you.
Conchman, thank you for your correct comment.

People do what they know they can get away with, plain and simple.

If only the solution was as plain and simple to execute... :cheeky:

-NALs :)

Chirimoya

Dec 9, 2002
I disagree. Inconsiderate people of whatever nationality do what they can get away with. That German threw litter here because he could get away with it, yes. In Germany he probably wouldn't because he knows there are consequences.

However, those of us - of all nationalities - who care about our surroundings and realise that living in a clean environment is a joint responsibility will not throw litter in any circumstances.

tjmurray

Bronze
Aug 11, 2006

I think a lack of enforcement is a small part of the greater picture. I don't know about you but if I saw someone throwing garbage in the United States I would probably not notify the police-I don't know anyone who would. I truly believe that education is the answer to the problem in the long run. Through educational campaigns maybe Dominicans can learn to appreciate their environment and take care of their surroundings....maybe.

Growing up I would visit my Dominican side of the family frequently in Washington Heights. I always admired how spotless Dominicans kept their homes, I mean they even leave the plastic on the furniture as to not dirty it. When I would walk down Broadway in the Heights it was always a different picture of trash blowing around wherever you looked. I see the same thing here in the DR.

Idk why this home cleanliness does not spill outside of the house, because in reality the country is home on a larger scale.

Criss Colon

Platinum
Jan 2, 2002
yahoomail.com
The Average Dominican Is Clueless When It Comes To "Littering" AND Garbage Disposal!

They unconsiously toss everything out-the-window,or onto the street!
After all,they "spit" inside the house! I find Cloves,"Malagata",and cinnamon sticks all over my house after the "Relatives" visit!
CCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCC

miguel

I didn't last long...
Jul 2, 2003
Ay Dios....

After all,they "spit" inside the house! I find Cloves,"Malagata",and cinnamon sticks all over my house after the "Relatives" visit!
Yet you married into that family.

How could you?. Hahaha.

Let me guess, her family is like that but she is not, therefore you didn't know!.

You are funny man, Criss, real funny, wahahahahahaha!!.

A person's education has SOMETHING to do with it. NOT EVERYTHING, BUT SOMETHING.

mountainannie

Platinum
Dec 11, 2003
elizabetheames.blogspot.com
Never been south?

Maybe you have never driven through Azua or Bani or Pedernales --
AMazingly clean streets. Big garbage bins on the streets for the pick up and no trash, no litter. Here even on Independencia in front of the high price hotels, the condo dwellers put their trash on the side of the road every morning, trucks pick up most of it, three sweepers clean all do and it still looks terrible. Why no garbage cans? They would be stolen in a day, I was told, to be used as tinacos. From the trash on the streets, I at first thought these were "dirty" people but they are impeccable inside their own homes and with their own grooming. But the street, well, that is the government's job, in their mind. And certainly, at least in the Capital, the government isn't helping much.

Rocky

Apr 4, 2002
www.rockysbar.com
I don't get the part about cinnamon & cloves?

Criss Colon

Platinum
Jan 2, 2002
yahoomail.com
Usually Find The "Condiments" After The Eat "DESERTS!

You are right about the Cloves and "Canela"!

"Grandpa" likes to throw his cigarette "BUTTS" everywhere! Also the "Presidente" bottle caps!
Who hasen't seen the burned matches on the kitchen floor!

If you can't beat em,join em!

I have followed the worst examples of Dominican culture,and adopted them as my own!:eek:gre:
Makes life easier,and very pleasant!
CCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCcc

mountainfrog

On Vacation!
Dec 8, 2003
www.domrep-info.com
Jungle Dwellers

...This morning I observed a man literally cleaning out his SUV by throwing the clutter out his window....

We all know that this country attracts people with antisocial behaviour, no matter what nationality.

'When in the DR do as the Dominicans do.'
For some an excuse for others a reason to come here...

m'frog

Chris

Gold
Oct 21, 2002
www.caribbetech.com
'When in the DR do as the Dominicans do.'
For some an excuse for others a reason to come here...
m'frog

Well said Froggy!

That very thing amazes me. Do as the Dominicans do should go for learning how to operate in the country ... not for throwing away or embracing values that you know are wrong or right....

Rocky

Apr 4, 2002
www.rockysbar.com
Well said Froggy!

That very thing amazes me. Do as the Dominicans do should go for learning how to operate in the country ... not for throwing away or embracing values that you know are wrong or right....
Need you ask?
Keep all that was good that you brought with you and dump the bad.
Learn the good here and resist the bad.
That is the secret to happiness & success in the DR.