Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast
    Bronze
    Post Thanks / Like

Default Even foreigners toss garbage

One of my biggest pet peeves is watching someone throw garbage on the street. Obviously, this is one of the worst pet peeves to have in the Dominican Republic where tossing garbage is basically the norm.

This morning I observed a man literally cleaning out his SUV by throwing the clutter out his window. My girlfriend tells me I can't fight with everyone on the street and I understand that, but at times something has to be said. When I pulled up next to the gentlemen I asked him in a sarcastic tone, "Do you have any more garbage to throw on the street?" He then switched into tough guy mode (maybe because there was a women sitting in the passenger's side) and I immediately noticed he was not Dominican, but instead German. His response to my question..."This is the Dominican Republic, the street is where garbage belongs."

The ensuing conversation after I was given that comment should not be written on this board. It's bad enough that Dominicans toss garbage wherever they feel necessary but a foreigner doing the same does not help the situation at all.

I realize that throwing garbage on the street has nothing to do with being Dominican and everything to do with a total lack of education and total disregard for your surroundings.

Honorificabilitudinitatibus
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by tjmurray View Post
    One of my biggest pet peeves is watching someone throw garbage on the street. Obviously, this is one of the worst pet peeves to have in the Dominican Republic where tossing garbage is basically the norm.

This morning I observed a man literally cleaning out his SUV by throwing the clutter out his window. My girlfriend tells me I can't fight with everyone on the street and I understand that, but at times something has to be said. When I pulled up next to the gentlemen I asked him in a sarcastic tone, "Do you have any more garbage to throw on the street?" He then switched into tough guy mode (maybe because there was a women sitting in the passenger's side) and I immediately noticed he was not Dominican, but instead German. His response to my question..."This is the Dominican Republic, the street is where garbage belongs."

The ensuing conversation after I was given that comment should not be written on this board. It's bad enough that Dominicans toss garbage wherever they feel necessary but a foreigner doing the same does not help the situation at all.

I realize that throwing garbage on the street has nothing to do with being Dominican and everything to do with a total lack of education and total disregard for your surroundings.
    Guys like that need to be taught a lesson.
    When a Dominican does it because he doesn't know better, it's a lot more excusable than a gringo who thinks he can come here and trash this country, just because he can get away with it.
    Next time, follow the dude and find out where he lives, then you'll know where to dump your garbage for the next month or two.

Regular
    Post Thanks / Like

Thumbs up right and wrong.......

it's a pet hate of mine too.
    a lot of europe had this BIG problem i recall around 30 or so years ago.
    EVERYBODY,has to do their bit to eliminate it.As was the solution in a nbr of countries in europe since then.
    so not really suprised you dident "buy'the guys excuse for chucking his cwap out on to the side of the road.

BTW:my mother is a Murray.maybe "we" are "geneticaly" programmed to be
    9issed at this sort of anti social behavior?

Post Thanks / Like

Good on you for saying something. No matter how he reacted, there's a good chance that he'll think twice before doing it again.

Silver
    Post Thanks / Like

It has to do with a lack of enforcement - not a lack of education. People know its wrong when they do it, they just don't care because there is no enforcement of the law. In Europe or in the US, people would report this to the police and the police would actually do something. Here? They would laugh at you.

Bronze
    Post Thanks / Like

Default Regardless

Regardless of what is known or not known or by whom, I like the idea Rocky has to follow offenders home (discretely) and dump on 'em for a while. And super glue works great on padlocked gates if one chooses to rub the point in with more fervor.

I didn't last long...
    Post Thanks / Like

Default Lo mismo que a mi....

Holly Lasagna, Batman;

The exact thing happened to me a few years ago!!.

After visiting DR1 member, Jan (now MIA), my buddy and I went to where his car was parked and I saw a guy cleaning his car by throwing his garbage out on the streed. Mind you, there was a bin about 10 feet away.

I told the guy: "hey buddy why not just put it inside the bin", to which he replied (with an English accent) that "this is the Dominican Republic and garbage was all over the streets". To which I replied:

"Yes, I can see that, the second I saw you I knew where you belong, in the streets, among the garbage".

He looked at me funny and looked at his companion, someone as ugly as an elbow, and said something I didn't catch. Then my friend told him, in broken English:

"Listen fool, don't act macho if you don't want to get embarassed in front of her. Go mess-up your own country, dummy".

He just put his tail between his legs, got in his car and drove off with "elbow".

Regular
    Post Thanks / Like

Thumbs down

Quote Originally Posted by Rocky View Post
    I am going to guess that English is not your first language, thus explaining why you so grossly misinterpreted what I wrote.
    I will further guess that you are German and have some type of thorn in your side about it.
    Don't take your problems out on me.
    Although it is true that there are a lot of things I don't know yet, it will always be that way, but I do know enough to know that you know less, yet want to prove to me that you know more.
    I can read you loud and clear and if you think I have to proof you something, think again. I do know what I do and donīt know and your guesses, just keep them to yourself, like you should do it with lots of your comments. Who cares about your opinion anyway??

Poll's Forum Moderator
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Conchman View Post
    It has to do with a lack of enforcement - not a lack of education. People know its wrong when they do it, they just don't care because there is no enforcement of the law. In Europe or in the US, people would report this to the police and the police would actually do something. Here? They would laugh at you.
    Conchman, thank you for your correct comment.

People do what they know they can get away with, plain and simple.

If only the solution was as plain and simple to execute...

-NALs

Post Thanks / Like

I disagree. Inconsiderate people of whatever nationality do what they can get away with. That German threw litter here because he could get away with it, yes. In Germany he probably wouldn't because he knows there are consequences.

However, those of us - of all nationalities - who care about our surroundings and realise that living in a clean environment is a joint responsibility will not throw litter in any circumstances.

Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast