Being Gay in the DR?

Status
Not open for further replies.

El Tigre

El Tigre de DR1 - Moderator
Jan 23, 2003
Well let me try and answer this to the best of my knowledge...

Being gay in the DR is just like being gay anywhere else in the world with the exeption that you will be subjected to a lot more prejudice. Are there any laws against being gay? - No. As a matter of fact Leonel came out with some kind of law that protects gay people and trans-gender.

I know all this because I have a gay cousin who is 20 years old in Santiago. Let me just say that it has been very difficult for him. He told my uncle and his mother a few months ago and it has been a living hell for him. My uncle abuses him verbally and emotionally, stopped paying for university and is always asking him to leave the house. If it would not be because of his mother he would have been out a long time ago.

The Dominican Republic is a very MACHO country. They don't tolerate gays as much as people do in other parts of the world.

If you are in the Dominican Republic and are thinking of coming out to your Dominican parents I would advise you to be careful. My cousin is so miserable he attempted to commit suicide over the holly week period in the DR (a few weeks ago).

Good luck. Hope I was able to provide you with some information.

Apple718

Apr 24, 2007
Well let me try and answer this to the best of my knowledge...

Being gay in the DR is just like being gay anywhere else in the world with the exeption that you will be subjected to a lot more prejudice. Are there any laws against being gay? - No. As a matter of fact Leonel came out with some kind of law that protects gay people and trans-gender.

I know all this because I have a gay cousin who is 20 years old in Santiago. Let me just say that it has been very difficult for him. He told my uncle and his mother a few months ago and it has been a living hell for him. My uncle abuses him verbally and emotionally, stopped paying for university and is always asking him to leave the house. If it would not be because of his mother he would have been out a long time ago.

The Dominican Republic is a very MACHO country. They don't tolerate gays as much as people do in other parts of the world.

If you are in the Dominican Republic and are thinking of coming out to your Dominican parents I would advise you to be careful. My cousin is so miserable he attempted to commit suicide over the holly week period in the DR (a few weeks ago).

Good luck. Hope I was able to provide you with some information.

Thank you for you reply. So you would say there there aren't any Gay clubs or resorts to go to there?

El Tigre

Jan 23, 2003
I don't know of any gay specific places. We have a gay board member who can assist you with that. I can also ask my cousin if you'd like but this would be specific to Santiago.

Also, Cabarete seems to attract a lot of gay people. When I'm on vacation I see a lot of them there.

Apple718

Apr 24, 2007
Also, Cabarete seems to attract a lot of gay people. When I'm on vacation I see a lot of them there.

When you say you see a lot them there at Cabarete, are they obvious in the sense that they act very flamboyant? What is Cabarete anyway?

El Tigre

Jan 23, 2003
Cabarete is a tourist destination in the North Coast of the Dominican Republic. It is know for wind surfing and electronic music.

I feel like I am setting myself up by answering the following but here it goes anyway...

When I say I see them I mean that I have seen guys holding hands (guys in the DR do not hold hand unless you are gay). I have also seen a lot of butch women holding the hand of beautiful feminine women so that's a clear indication that they are a lesbian couple. They are just among the straight people and people don't seem to really care. That's what I have noticed while in Cabarete.

Apple718

Apr 24, 2007
So you would say that Cabarete is a more tolerant area? More like the village in NYC? Yes of course if people of the same sex hold hands I would also assume they are Gay.

C

Chip00

So you would say that Cabarete is a more tolerant area? More like the village in NYC? Yes of course if people of the same sex hold hands I would also assume they are Gay.

Let me set it straight for you about the DR. If you in anyway "promote" you're homosexual tendencies in public be prepared to be publically chastised here, end of story. It is not respected here and highly riduculed. Any time I go to the beach and see people who are as bold as to promote this way of living are I see that they are laughed at, provoked, called names and threatened in public.

El Tigre

Jan 23, 2003
Let me set it straight for you about the DR. If you in anyway "promote" you're homosexual tendencies in public be prepared to be publically chastised here, end of story. It is not respected here and highly riduculed. Any time I go to the beach and see people who are as bold as to promote this way of living are I see that they are laughed at, provoked, called names and threatened in public.

All that and then some.

Just look at how my cousin is being treated by my uncle.

Apple718

Apr 24, 2007

So the DR is not a good destination vacation spot for Gay people as is a lot of other 3rd world countries especially when machismo is prevalent. But there is another word for machismo, that is stupidity.

something_of_the_night

Has left the building...
Feb 7, 2006
So the DR is not a good destination vacation spot for Gay people as is a lot of other 3rd world countries especially when machismo is prevalent. But there is another word for machismo, that is stupidity.

If you stick around DR1 long enough, you would see machismo at its best - just one or two posters.

By the way, I've read that most homophobic folks are actually hiding something.

mountainfrog

On Vacation!
Dec 8, 2003
www.domrep-info.com
That's The Way It Is

Well, call it what you like, but rather not try to change the Dominican attitude about homosexuality.

BTW, I know of a case where the house of a gay guy was assaulted several times until he moved. Whether that had anything to do with him being gay, I do not know.
One should, however, assume that Dominicans see gays as an easy target...

Stupid?
Well, call it what you like...

m'frog

El Tigre

Jan 23, 2003
But there is another word for machismo, that is stupidity.

You are now getting into somewhat dangerous grounds. Machismo is what it is. You call it stupidity some call it being ignorant bla bla bla. Stick to the topic please.

C

Chip00

What you should realize whether you like it or agree with it or not is that many people in the DR have different values than more "modern" countries. This attitude stems not only from Machismo but also the fact that this is a very Catholic country. For that matter, abortion and the death penalty are shunned as well.

I don't know that you would have to worry about losing life or limb here in the DR unless you did something unthinkable - like making a pass at a Dominican fellow who is not a homosexual - but if you are in any way "open" about your preferences, be prepared for the worst. This is NOT a politically correct country by any way shape or form.

amparocorp

Bronze
Aug 11, 2002
i know of an incident where two dominican jerks decided to rape and rob a woman in a short skirt late at night. turns out to be a guy in drag, they raped him anyway. it seems that the macho attitude dictates that as long as they were doing the inserting they were not the gay ones.......twisted? yes...................

shadInToronto

On Vacation....
Nov 16, 2003
If you're gay and want to flaunt it in the DR, you better have a black belt in martial arts 'cause it's very likely you'll be assaulted. Once, I saw two guys holding hands along the Melacon in POP and EVERYONE stared at them and commented about it. It's not common there. :bunny:

I'm a proud 'homophobic folk' and I hide nothing. :)

Status
Not open for further replies.