sainagua

ade

Jun 14, 2005
anyone know much about sainagua near san cristobal? Interested to know history, culture etc:classic:

Mirador

On Permanent Vacation!
Apr 15, 2004
Sainagu?

anyone know much about sainagua near san cristobal? Interested to know history, culture etc:classic:

Sainagu? is a small poverty-ridden community outside of San Cristobal, on the side of the road leading south toward Playa Najayo. Over twenty years ago, the community was chosen to hold a yearly festival of Dominican folk music, that goes by the name of "m?sica de palos" to most, or "atabales" to others ("atabal", from the arabic word for drum "tabl"). A hosting organization was created, with the pompous name of La Fundaci?n del Sol Naciente", dedicated to "rescue" the "African" roots of dominican musical culture. It was a great initiative. Since then, every year, usually around November or December, a date is set to hold the free musical festival, however, it is underpromoted in the local media. Also, the physical setting is inadaquate, it is located off the road, on a curve, going uphill, no adequeate parking spaces, not enough seating room, poor sound system, security is also an issue. I've played there a few times...

Mirador

On Permanent Vacation!
Apr 15, 2004
What do you play?

On stage, I usually play one of the triad of the "palo" drums, called "el alcahuete", which is the medium size one. The others are "la chivita" (smaller), and "el mayor" (largest), which I can also play. However, I play most percussion instruments, including maracas, guira, ch?quere. In my musicotherapy I use the above, and also a variety of percussion and sound instruments, including rocks, bells, whistles, tuning forks, a brazilian rain stick, a tibetan quartz bowl, a brass gong, and others...

Motorcycler

Jan 20, 2007
www.motorcycler.com
Hot damn Mirador!!! What a surprise sure would like to drop in for a session...Can one listen online to this plethora of percussion providers??? Anything going on in July???

Mirador

On Permanent Vacation!
Apr 15, 2004
Hot damn Mirador!!! What a surprise sure would like to drop in for a session...Can one listen online to this plethora of percussion providers??? Anything going on in July???

Motorcycler, you can drop in any time, along with your friends. Not only you can listen, but you will have to join in. The "jam sessions" are done in order to give the heebie-jeebies to errant demons or mischievous spirits who also happen to drop by, and make them go away...

By the way, I do motorcyclers (and other vehicles) in the nearby river, a special ceremony, a "despojo" with "ensalmo", in order to protect the driver and passengers, and also the vehicle itself from mechanical breakdowns.

Give me a call, when your down (or up) that way....

Mirador

On Permanent Vacation!
Apr 15, 2004
You and Fell? Vega must get along well..... HB

Don't even mention me and Fell? Vega in the same breath, he's in a league all his own. He's an outstanding percussionist, and incredible professional musician... Personally I don't consider myself a musician, I'm actually concerned with sounds and their therapeutic implications. Did you know that even a fart can have therepeutic value ...;-)