A longer life?

jrf

Bronze
Jan 9, 2005
Do you feel that living in the RD has reduced your stress level? Do you think living there will add some years to your life?

They say that if you live near water as in a stream, a lake, river, or ocean that you add three years to your life.

Sep 19, 2005
we have to wait till everyone dies, then tally up the results.

but in the mean time tranquilty has its virtues.

but the mosquitos and power outages can counter that pretty quick, huh?

ha ha ha

bob

C

Chip00

Do you feel that living in the RD has reduced your stress level? Do you think living there will add some years to your life?

They say that if you live near water as in a stream, a lake, river, or ocean that you add three years to your life.

I don't live by the water but I would say my stress level has reduced, oh say 100%! I am an "A" type person and a professional and as you might imagine those types in the US end up dying young or suffer heart problems from stress/overwork. In fact I was suffereing quite frequently from PVC's(minor heart arithmia?) and it quit completely!

We don't live by the water but I do have my office in the house and also I'm at home all day so if I get bored I can go play with my daughters which is a great stress relief in itself. If I want to get out of the house I'll invent a reason to go to the hardware store whatever and chat with the people I know or with strangers and I usually have a good time as people always are interested in talking about Nueva York with a gringo.

Then in the evening, I'll call an Equatorian neighbor buddy of mine and we'll share a cold Presidente or two, smoke a few Principes and talk about the business we will start and how we are going to be rich one day while the wives rabble on like a couple of headless chickens, hahha!

Mirador

On Permanent Vacation!
Apr 15, 2004
It is my own personal observation, that people living by the sea (ocean) are mentally more stable than those living in the mountains. I would not discount the stress factor (since fishermen also stress out...), but would tend to consider more the nutritional factor, including the fact that those who live in mountainous regions tend to have less intake of iodine and other trace minerals essential for proper brain function.

B

batich

One hour spent in heavy stressful traffic with a bunch of angry idiots around you in NYC makes you one year older. No matter if you are sitting in S500 or LX470 and have a million dollar bank account.

One hour with a hot 18 y.o. dominicana from Disco Classico in Sosua makes you one year younger. NO matter if you do her in a $25 cabana and drive motoconcho.

Do figures!

Lambada

Gold
Mar 4, 2004
www.ginniebedggood.com

Interesting topic! Have to say I didn't think my stress level had been reduced when we first moved here & were going through all the adjustment stuff........... but now I know it has. When I visit UK every 3 years I look at friends of 30+ years standing and think 'Crumbs, was I that neurotic when I lived here?'. They haven't changed, I have. Now I'll only stress over the larger items in life, like the occasional earthquake.......:) Living here has a wonderful way of putting things in perspective.

As to adding years to my life.......well I've already outlived the age at which both my parents died (& they didn't die in accidents) so this is all bonus.

M.A.R.

Silver
Feb 18, 2006
Now that you live in the DR.
Just curious to know, how has your diet changed. Do you tend to eat more veggies and fruits to prolong your life. Have you embraced the whole outdoor life or do you stay in under AC and barely enjoy the beautiful island which would contribute to a healthier longer life?
Whenever I go there I definitly concentrate on my breathing exercises and do more walking outdoors, and I dream how it would be if I live there permanently, I picture myself being much healthier. :cheeky:

something_of_the_night

Has left the building...
Feb 7, 2006
It is my own personal observation, that people living by the sea (ocean) are mentally more stable than those living in the mountains. I would not discount the stress factor (since fishermen also stress out...), but would tend to consider more the nutritional factor, including the fact that those who live in mountainous regions tend to have less intake of iodine and other trace minerals essential for proper brain function.

Then there's the report of a few years ago which talked about small villages up in the mountains in Ecuador and in Asia where lots of the residents live longer lives - 100 years and above.

B

batich

Then there's the report of a few years ago which talked about small villages up in the mountains in Ecuador and in Asia where lots of the residents live longer lives - 100 years and above.

Same in Georgia,. Armenia and Azerbaijan in former Soviet Union. People there have no health care and eat very unhealthy diet with a lot of meat and wine. But live up to their 100s and never are impotents. But they do not have neither contamination from traffic, nor oppression and stress from police nor McDonalds or KFC fast food.

Almost like DR.

Lambada

Gold
Mar 4, 2004
www.ginniebedggood.com
I would have thought that you also have to factor into longevity both people feeling happy with their lot (whatever their lot is) and continuing physical work (i.e. exercise). Most of the centenarian Latinas (Ecuador, Peru etc) I've seen on TV are still feeding their chickens, cleaning their own homes and taking care of themselves but have extended family nearby. So maybe the pampering of senior citizens in the Western world leads to early demise?

tjmurray

Bronze
Aug 11, 2006
Sometimes I find it surprising just how little patience there is on the streets of Santo Domingo. I mean if you don't take off the second the traffic light turns green you'll get severely honked at. This kinda stresses me out. Mainly it's only the roads that stress me out because there are so many knuckleheads. New Yorkers have no patience in their car but Dominicans are not far behind.

On the other hand, my stress level has decreased considerably. Living here you learn to deal with small inconveniences like when the water goes out, the electricity goes, or both go out. There are countless other 'inconveniences' to count when dealing with the services of a 3rd world country. In this country you learn to roll with the punches and deal with what you got.

incredible

Jul 9, 2006
Sometimes I find it surprising just how little patience there is on the streets of Santo Domingo. I mean if you don't take off the second the traffic light turns green you'll get severely honked at. This kinda stresses me out. Mainly it's only the roads that stress me out because there are so many knuckleheads. New Yorkers have no patience in their car but Dominicans are not far behind.

On the other hand, my stress level has decreased considerably. Living here you learn to deal with small inconveniences like when the water goes out, the electricity goes, or both go out. There are countless other 'inconveniences' to count when dealing with the services of a 3rd world country. In this country you learn to roll with the punches and deal with what you got.

There is definately more honking in Santo domingo believe me I was just in Manhattan during rush hour yesterday...

Sep 19, 2005
Sometimes I find it surprising just how little patience there is on the streets of Santo Domingo. . New Yorkers have no patience in their car but Dominicans are not far behind.

I live in NY and have rented and driven in the DR on at least 18 trips in the last 2 years...and i think the dominicans are 10 worse than the new yorkers when it comes to driving and impatience....the dominicans start honking before the light turns green!!!!!!!!!!!!!! if they even waited for the light....

bob

tjmurray

Bronze
Aug 11, 2006
I live in NY and have rented and driven in the DR on at least 18 trips in the last 2 years...and i think the dominicans are 10 worse than the new yorkers when it comes to driving and impatience....the dominicans start honking before the light turns green!!!!!!!!!!!!!! if they even waited for the light....

bob

I think your statement is closer to the truth than mine. I lived in NYC for several years and the impatience on the roads of the capital is worse-very stressful. I don't know why everyone is in such a rush. I mean, isn't this a tropical island?

C

Chip00

I think your statement is closer to the truth than mine. I lived in NYC for several years and the impatience on the roads of the capital is worse-very stressful. I don't know why everyone is in such a rush. I mean, isn't this a tropical island?

Come to Santiago! Everything here is better! Even the traffic! Just be prepared to drive slowly and use lanes where there should be none!

Seriously, do what I do - use a motorcycle. Traffic - what's that? I go right up to the front at the stoplights and if there is no one crossing at that monet I do. What would take 35 min. in a car I do in 7 min. flat!

I just hope all the rich Dominicans who have their nice cars and jipetas never figure out that motorcycles will get you to where you need to go in less time - that way there is less competetion!!!

Sep 19, 2005
here is my view on dominican motorcycles.

I see dominicans argueing after they get in a car accident.. the drivers are yelling at each other.

I never see the motorcycle drivers ever argue after their accidents... they just lay there in the road.....

so be carefull chip.......please buddy......

The traffic in Santo Domingo seems a LOT worse than Santiago......in santiago there are always alternate routes and many options.

You get on one of those one way roads in the capital, and you cant get off...you are just stuck.......period

bob

Mirador

On Permanent Vacation!
Apr 15, 2004
You guys are way overestimating the effects of stress on aging. Forget stress, it's actually good for you, a certain amount of stress is necessary for your own good health. In addition, forget about fresh mountain air, healthful diets, clean and religious living, and all the other life-style related factors attributed to longevity. It's all in the genes! We are born for a shorter or longer life, depending on our chromosomes, in something called telomeres, which are the functional caps at the ends of the chromosomes. Then there's the telomerase which is the enzyme synthesizing the specific DNA sequences found at the telomeres. Some of us have then short, other longer. Don't fret about it, there's nothing you can do! Make the best of the short (or longer) time you have to live!

Texas Bill

Silver
Feb 11, 2003
www.texasbill.com
From a personal stanpoint, I think the 27+ years I spent under constant discipline in the USAF has done more to extend my "normal" lifespan than any other one thing. I did develop an ulcer, but cured it with diet and relaxing regimens.
Here, I don't go out during the "rush" hours because the conditions drive me absolutely bonkers. I personally think that everyone knows exactly what their "stress' threshhold is and should take pains to avoid those conditions that produce the stress.
As to "tranquility", well, that is reduced to a state of mind and the exercise of self-discipline. Nothing more and nothing less.
I've been in this old world for 80 years and probably been endowed with all the "good" genes of my forebearers. At least I don't seem to have anything bad wrong with me at present.
There's always tomorrow, though, isn't there?
I just don't sweat the small stuff.

Texas Bill

M.A.R.

Silver
Feb 18, 2006
I agree with some of Mirador's points, genes have a lot to do with how you age or what sicknesses you are prone to. But you cannot say that there's nothing you can do about your health. Living a cleaner healthier greener less stress life has to create a healthier life in turn allowing you to live a few years longer than if you didn't take care of yourself.

Last edited: