Renewing DR driving licence - VAST improvement

Lambada

Gold
Mar 4, 2004
www.ginniebedggood.com
I can only speak for the Puerto Plata office but WHAT a difference from previous experience! Last week I renewed my driving licence. The system is now fast & efficient - I was in & out in 20 mins. More time was spent at Banreservas the day before paying the renewal taxes (850 pesos & make sure you get 2 separate slips of multi-leafed paper).

OTTT in Puerto Plata now has a large sign outside saying you don't need an 'intermediario' (read buscone) and you don't. Enter, go to desk marked Registro and pass over the 2 slips, old driving licence and your cedula. They then find you in the computer. Give electronic fingerprint. Do not push on key pad, it causes problems with your squashed print. If you are applying for provisional licence the next desk is the one to sign up for theoretical exam - these are at 10am, 12 midday & 2pm. If you are renewing you next go to medical room where a delightful, very tall, very elderly man wearing a plastic vest with a red cross on it will point to which line to read for your eye test. That is his sole job but he's a really nice old boy. Behind the desk is someone who takes your blood if you're a first time applicant. Renewals give no blood (unless you've somehow managed to change your blood group in the last 4 years..............:) ). Then back out to main area and get called for your photo. You also confirm the data they have and give electronic signature. Then wait, for me about 3 mins and your name is called & you are given your new licence. That's it. Couldn't be simpler.

It's also a social event - well was for me because I bumped into people I knew. I'd encourage everyone who needs to renew their driving licence to do so, because it really is no hassle at all.

suarezn

Gold
Feb 3, 2002
Now if they could only do that with the Cedula. I need to get mine and last time I was in Cotui I tried to go the place only to find a huge crowd (no lines of course) trying to get a birth certificate so they could get the cedula. In addition someone said that it takes about two months to get it, from the time you apply...I just left.