mamajuana

Chichiguita

Dec 30, 2004
I was wondering if anyone knows if you can bring mamajuana back to the U.S. by plane? Do they give you a hard time? Can it be carried on the plane or does it need to be packed? Will they allow it at all? Just wondering?

Kimmir

Mar 7, 2007
HI I just brought some back last trip. I put it in my checked bag. If you buy it at the air port You have to check it before customs. They didnt give me any problems at all it was a package deal with a mid size bottle of ron, wine, and mamajuana.

Chichiguita

Dec 30, 2004
Kimmir-
Thanks for the info. I have been traveling to the DR for several years now and have never tried mamajuana--I am hoping it will help me "cope" with my DR homesickness. That and vicariously living through the adventures of folks like you. I drink cafecita by the "thimble-sized-cupful" and have learned to make a decent plate of rice and beans---but I need something for the evening. I hope this will be a fun conversation piece--both with friends who have never experienced the DR as well as friends who have been many times. One of my friends is leaving this weekend and I want to ask her to bring some back. Can you tell me how much your happy package deal was??? I understand you can get it online--but there is something about getting it straight from the island that I think will feel good. Thanks.

pyratt

Bronze
Jan 14, 2007
You have to check the twigs and roots only if you're buying booze outside the duty free, if you buy the rum in the duty free shops AFTER Customs, you're allowed 6 bottles back into the USA. It's always fun to watch the expression on the Customs Officials when they first spot the bag of herbs....they know what is, they've seen it ALL before.

Tamborista

hasta la tambora
Apr 4, 2005
You have to check the twigs and roots only if you're buying booze outside the duty free, if you buy the rum in the duty free shops AFTER Customs, you're allowed 6 bottles back into the USA. It's always fun to watch the expression on the Customs Officials when they first spot the bag of herbs....they know what is, they've seen it ALL before.

It may be confiscated by US Customs if it is not in the bottle with the Ron since it is considered "agriculture" and risks a potential fine of up to $50,000.

Bringing Agricultural Products Into the United States - CBP.gov

Musicqueen

Miami Nice!
Jan 31, 2002
Just buy the bottle already made, and then dump the rum and put a whole new mixture of rum, wine and honey once you get home...

You might have to do this a few times until you get the right combination and taste...

Back in 2002 I bought 3 homemade bottles of mamajuana, and the last trip in Jan. of this year I bought another 2 and have not been questioned once about them...

Alyonka

Silver
Jun 3, 2006
I brought a bottle home - have not tried the taste yet. There were no problems at the airport at all. And I bought it outside in a regular store.

Kimmir

Mar 7, 2007
Chichiguita, I have visited D.R. six times since november for two weeks at a time for business and I too miss it I have recently changed jobs and fear I will only be able to visit for vacation some time when I raise the money. I like the people I worked with, I like the music, I like most of the food (sancocho, tres leche pastel, fresh fruit and veggies).And Of course the beautiful beaches. Presidente and Benidicta! The friends that I made while working down there have invited me to stay with them on vacation but it is not the best neighborhood for a white gal to be walking around in so I am told. I found the ron,wine,mamajuana combonation at a street vendor on a mall in Santo Domingo it was very reasonable considering its size. It was about 15 u.s. dollars. And it was pint size bottles of each. Probably just enough for everyone to try a little or a little for myself. I hope we will both be able to return to D.R. within the next year.

pyratt

Bronze
Jan 14, 2007
It may be confiscated by US Customs if it is not in the bottle with the Ron since it is considered "agriculture" and risks a potential fine of up to $50,000.

Are you for real? Don't give up rocket science.....LAW is not a good field of practice for you.

Go onto Ebay and type in Mamajuana....they sell the bags of herb, bottles etc online within the U.S.

It's very apparant by the labeling that the product comes from the DR....the label looks EXACTLY like the label on the bottles sold in the stores in the DR.

You don't think some enterprising individual from the DR (now living in the U.S.) has set up a business do you? I'll go further, the same company has a WEBSITE selling the bags of herb in the U.S. ........it is apparant it is imported regularly.

I'll bet you're one of the ones living in FEAR in the DR.....FEAR of walking the streets, FEAR of defending one's self because you MIGHT get sued by a puta, FEAR of bringing a little bag of herbs home.....

FEAR = a lack of knowledge of any subject.......if you understand life, life is not to be feared.

Thanks for sharing your web-law, I'll carefully take it under your esteemed advisement.

2LeftFeet

Bronze
Dec 1, 2006
I have the worse luck imaginable. Maybe they have relaxed the laws. This happened right after Septeber 11.

I went to Peru and bought homemade rum. I had 8 bottles. When I got to the airport they confiscated them because it didn't list the alcohol percentage on the label. She showed me the FAA regulation.

I lost all my rum :(

Tamborista

hasta la tambora
Apr 4, 2005
Mister Not-a-Monger:

If I run into you on Pedro Clisante, the first Mamajuana is on me.

tambo'

Last edited:

Motorcycler

Jan 20, 2007
www.motorcycler.com
I have the worse luck imaginable. Maybe they have relaxed the laws. This happened right after Septeber 11.

I went to Peru and bought homemade rum. I had 8 bottles. When I got to the airport they confiscated them because it didn't list the alcohol percentage on the label. She showed me the FAA regulation.

I lost all my rum :(

I bet you someone had a party that night!! They will confiscate that because it's like "pitorro" (also home made rum) here in PR. Usually illegal because they do not pay taxes to the government and will be confiscated as soon as it is seen. ;)

They probably are a lot more lax now!

pyratt

Bronze
Jan 14, 2007
Mister Not-a-Monger:

If I run into you on Pedro Clisante, the first Mamajuana is on me.

tambo'

Tambo, if you're referring to me (Mister Not-a-Monger), I prefer Brugal Extra Viejo and my gal pal....."Miller Lite"! :ermm:

ha ha ha Don't ask me why....she just does.

This trip is pretty booked, I'm bringing baby clothes and school supplies for her fundacion. :squareeye

Thanks for the offer...........