Caribe Tours question

JasonR

Nov 18, 2006
Is it possible to buy a ticket weeks in advance for a trip?

I ask because I am buying a return flight out of the country and I had a problem returning last time as they would not let me on the flight in Miami without proof on an onward journey that takes me out of the country.

I guess the cheapest way to provide that would be a Caribe tours bus ticket to Haiti.

Can you buy one for a trip two weeks in advance ?

globalmike295

On Vacation
Jul 11, 2006
Is it possible to buy a ticket weeks in advance for a trip?

I ask because I am buying a return flight out of the country and I had a problem returning last time as they would not let me on the flight in Miami without proof on an onward journey that takes me out of the country.

I guess the cheapest way to provide that would be a Caribe tours bus ticket to Haiti.

Can you buy one for a trip two weeks in advance ?

They only issue tickets for the next bus as they are often crowded and do head counts along the way to see if they can sell a ticket along the route

If you have a credit card, just order an e-ticket online . Print it up and make sure it ia 100% refundable and then cancel

C

Chip00

They only issue tickets for the next bus as they are often crowded and do head counts along the way to see if they can sell a ticket along the route

If you have a credit card, just order an e-ticket online . Print it up and make sure it ia 100% refundable and then cancel

Maybe you know something I don't but I didn't see anything about buying tickets on their webpage and I know there policy in Santiago is no refunds. Not a big deal I suppose to lose 5 or 10 bucks.

To Jason R - try to buy your one way ticket online. We flew down here last yaer on American with a one way ticket and we didn't have a problem.

Try out the following link and choose one way:

ZUJI: Your Online Travel Guru

globalmike295

On Vacation
Jul 11, 2006
Sorry, I forgot to mention that the e-ticket would be for an Airline

It is my understanding that a one way ticket can only be purchased if you are a DR resident or citizen. Of course you can take your chances...

C

Chip00

Sorry, I forgot to mention that the e-ticket would be for an Airline

It is my understanding that a one way ticket can only be purchased if you are a DR resident or citizen. Of course you can take your chances...

I called AA and apparently the Domican Consulate has changed the requirements and is just as the OP stated. The easiest thing would be to buy a two way ticket for $50 extra with AA.

JasonR

Nov 18, 2006
I called AA and apparently the Domican Consulate has changed the requirements and is just as the OP stated. The easiest thing would be to buy a two way ticket for $50 extra with AA.

I am not flying to then US on this trip.

I am flying to Europe.

I have already bought a return from here to Europe.

Now what?

SantiagoDR

The "REAL" SantiagoDR
Jan 12, 2006
I'm a little confused on the latest requirements referrence buying a round trip or two one way tickets.

However, from past experiences of friends, they would buy a coach discount ticket to come to the DR, and then also buy a FULLY refundable ticket to leave the DR (Both one way tickets).

Upon arrival here, they would cancel the return ticket and get a refund.

PS: Carefull on this one with American Airlines. I once bought a round trip ticket to and from the DR. I made the return portion a fully refundable ticket as I did not know for sure my return date. When I went to use the return portion and change the return date, AA told me there would be a change charge. I said no way, it is a fully refundable ticket with no exchange fees. I was told that, if any portion of a ticket was non-refundable, then the whole ticket carried a penalty for exchanging it. I ask the agent, then why would I be dumb enought to pay extra for a ticket that I could get at a lower price?

I won my case, but now I know better.

C

Chip00

I am not flying to then US on this trip.

I am flying to Europe.

I have already bought a return from here to Europe.

Now what?

Jason

I apologize as I'm confused becasue I thought you were trying to get a one way ticket to come to the DR. Could you explain to me again from what country you are flying, and to where?

JasonR

Nov 18, 2006
Flying from DR to Europe.

I have a return.

Last time I was told, when trying to board the return leg, that I need proof of onward travel. In other words I need proof that I am leaving DR.

Even a bus ticket to Haiti would do.

Lambada

Gold
Mar 4, 2004
www.ginniebedggood.com
What if you just show your residencia, utility bills with DR address etc to prove you LIVE here? I remember I had this silliness with AA once when I was returning from UK to DR using the return half of the ticket (which I had bought here in DR). They're totally unable to merge the concept of having a Brit. passport yet living in another country. Get to the airport with plenty of time to spare & see the supervisor.........and the supervisor's supervisor if necessary. Somewhere up that chain there must be someone with sufficient IQ to work out that DR is your final destination because it's where your home is. Mustn't there....................? Don't deal with the minions, they're unable to think outside the box. And take a confirming letter from Brit. Consul to show them.

Feb 7, 2007
I said no way, it is a fully refundable ticket with no exchange fees. I was told that, if any portion of a ticket was non-refundable, then the whole ticket carried a penalty for exchanging it.

You are lucky you won your case.

When an air itinerary is ticketed under one ticket number, ALL segments are governed by the rules of the MOST RESTRICTIVE SEGMENT on the itinerary (at least as far as changes AND refunds are concerned).

This is with ALL airlines.

You don't save anything having coach AND full-fare (eco or business) having under the same PNR (record locator) and ticket number.

Make it separate. Save the money.

Feb 7, 2007
What if you just show your residencia, utility bills with DR address etc to prove you LIVE here?

Get to the airport with plenty of time to spare & see the supervisor.........and the supervisor's supervisor if necessary.

And take a confirming letter from Brit. Consul to show them.

Why to go through all that hassle?

Make a COPA onward reservation! It takes you 5 minutes to make the reservation on COPA's website (Copa Airlines, Airline Tickets, Last minute airfare to Latin America, Central America Travel.) and the reservation is confirmed and valid for up to 72 hours. You don't even need to put any credit card or payment info to make it! Just click "Hold 72 hours and Pay at City Office" option instead of "immediate ticketing" when making the reservation.

They will expect you to come pay the booking to COPA's office within the next 72 hours, after that time it gets cancelled if you don't show up. But it is perfectly VALID reservation showing you have a CONFIRMED reservation to continue your journey, and that IS what the airline is looking for.

It takes you 5 minutes to complete, and you can even complete it just as you leave your house and print it out and take it to the airport with you.

C

Chip00

Flying from DR to Europe.

I have a return.

Last time I was told, when trying to board the return leg, that I need proof of onward travel. In other words I need proof that I am leaving DR.

Even a bus ticket to Haiti would do.

In that case if you are in the DR check with a few bus lines and see if they will sell you an open date ticket to Haiti. Maybe Transporte Espinal or Metro. You may want to verify with the airline if they will accept an open date ticket.

Lambada

Gold
Mar 4, 2004
www.ginniebedggood.com
Why to go through all that hassle?

Because in the 21st. century with people from all nationalities living in all sorts of different countries it is unreasonable of airlines not to allow passengers (i.e. payng customers) to return to their country of residence on a return ticket. I'd prefer to challenge the airlines utter stupidity on this one in the hopes that one day they actually see sense. The one time I did challenge it, quite a few years back, they did eventually see things my way so no ongoing ticket out of DR was necessary in my case. :) I won't condone their stupidity by going along with it. It just puts change back a few years longer. We women didn't get the vote by condoning the system then in existence......................;)

qgrande

Bronze
Jul 27, 2005
Probably too late for the OP, but Caribetours tickets to Port-au-Prince are not sold at the normal bolleterias, but at the travel agency, at the left of the entrance of the Caribetours station, and can be bought in advance.