A Longer Life (split off)

Chris

Gold
Oct 21, 2002
www.caribbetech.com
Quote:
<table border="0" cellpadding="6" cellspacing="0" width="100%"> <tbody><tr> <td class="alt2" style="border: 1px inset ;"> Originally Posted by Chirimoya
I met a man yesterday, a professional with a good job, but not someone who has more than enough to live on. His small daughter has a life-threatening but curable condition, and doctors here say she has to go to the US for the treatment. He now faces the agony of having to go cap-in-hand to everyone he knows, pull all possible strings he has, to collect the money (which is probably about the equivalent of his annual salary) if his daughter's life is to be saved. If he is not successful, it's a death sentence. I can't even begin to imagine what that must feel like, and hope I never have to.

Life expectancy in the DR can be pretty low if you can't afford health care. I know that my cleaner's neighbours, friends and relatives pop off at an alarming rate, at relatively young ages, simply because that's what happens if you're poor and are unlucky enough to fall ill.

</td> </tr> </tbody></table>
(I split this thread from another one, and the split didn't split - Mod)

Chris

Gold
Oct 21, 2002
www.caribbetech.com
From Batich - If he accepts donation from a stranger PM me por favor.

From Chirimoya - Sent you PM. :)

.... His small daughter has a life-threatening but curable condition, and doctors here say she has to go to the US for the treatment. ...

From Mirador - Chirimoya, could you please identify the condition?

From Chirimoya - sent you a PM, too, Mirador. :)

Last edited:

Chirimoya

Dec 9, 2002
Update - I spoke to the girl's father this morning and he is e-mailing me the information people have asked me for, including more details about his daughter's medical condition, bank details for donations, etc. I will pass all this on to the posters in question personally by PM or e-mail.

I also sent him advice about organisations that help families in these situations by covering some of their costs, sent by a kind DR1 member.

:)

Lambada

Gold
Mar 4, 2004
www.ginniebedggood.com
I don't know if Healing the Children is part of the info you already have.
How We Heal

Their partner organisation here is Fundacion Corazones Unidos. Contact is Dr. Luis Cuello, Fundacion Corazones Unidos, Calle Tetelo Vargas #22, Ensanche Naco, Santo Domingo, Tel: 809-567-4425 or 809-227-1410. Fax is 809-566-5732, email:corazonesunidos@hotmail.com

You probably know all this, just posting in case someone else comes across a similar situation.

Chirimoya

Dec 9, 2002
Thanks for posting that information, Lambada. Another DR1er sent it to me via e-mail yesterday and I passed it on to the girl's father.

Alyonka

Silver
Jun 3, 2006
It might be silly and irrelevant in this case (I am not a medical professional and don't know if this particur condition can be qualified) but sometimes patients who are willing to participate is some sort of medical research or trials in the US can get certain benefits in treatments.

genome.gov | Financial Assistance Information NIH here in the US is doing this kind of work and there might be some private clinics.

Criss Colon

Platinum
Jan 2, 2002
yahoomail.com
Please Let Us Know What The "Medical Condition" Is Please!

The Plaza de La Salud in Santo Domingo has International Doctors and medical teams visiting several times a year. They provide free care to Dominican Children in a variety of specialties. I need to know what is the "problem" before I can possibly assist them.
Cris Colon

Chirimoya

Dec 9, 2002
I'm still waiting for them to send me the precise details. I hope to have this information tomorrow. Meanwhile the first donation has been received and paid into the account.

MommC

On Vacation!
Mar 2, 2002
dr1.com
I too would be interested to know what the condition is as I may have some "favours" that could be 'collected" and I also know of several oranizations that help out when needed but what exactly the problem is needs to be known before I can go cap in hand to pull strings (or teeth) if needed!

Chirimoya

Dec 9, 2002
Update - I've e-mailed or PMed everyone who asked for information about the little girl's exact medical condition.

I now need to speak to the father to explain how this is all unfolding before giving out more specific details on the forums, so meanwhile can only share details behind the scenes.

So far I've told him that the advice and donations have come from "friends" - which you are, of course - but if his daughter's situation is going to be publicised on a message board he needs to give his blessing and let me have some indication of how much is exposed publicly.

Thanks for all the offers and let's hope we can help ease this family's nightmare!

Lambada

Gold
Mar 4, 2004
www.ginniebedggood.com
Thanks Chiri. Can you just confirm if the father reads English because I've got a whole heap of info on the condition which I can email you. If he eventually agrees to some sort of more public sharing then I can post it here, but obviously won't in the meanwhile.

Chirimoya

Dec 9, 2002
Update:

First of all, thanks to the posters who have made donations.

We have some very good news in that thanks to the power of DR1 we may have made a breakthrough. Poster LaProfe got in touch with a place in the US that is willing to evaluate the girl's case. If they approve it, there is a good chance the costs will be covered by a charitable foundation.

The family will still have to incur travel and visa costs, so any further contributions will still be a huge help.

Please PM me for more details, or if you would like to make a donation. I have the family's bank details for anyone who wishes to make a direct transfer.

Thanks again to all who have shown an interest, offered help and advice, and made donations.

Chirimoya

Dec 9, 2002
LaProfe1 left for the US today with the girl's medical notes. She has organised medical trips to the US for sick children in the past and kindly made all the contacts with this hospital in New York State that is willing to consider the girl's case.

The family say they are overwhelmed by everyone's generosity and asked me to convey their thanks. My colleague told me that his daughter's condition is stable, although she has had a couple of crises lately and has needed medical attention. The doctors say that the sooner she has the surgery, the better.

I'll keep you posted on all developments.

Rocky

Honorificabilitudinitatibus
Apr 4, 2002
www.rockysbar.com
All of you who have been helping deserve a big thanks.

If I may, I'd like to make special mention of LaProf.
She never wants her accomplishments posted on the internet, and who am I to go against her wishes, but I have to say, it is astounding, the things she gets done, specially for kids.
Suffice to say she has a profound positive effect on the lives of 1,000's of kids every year.

Chirimoya

Dec 9, 2002
Thanks Rocky, I am immensely grateful to LaProfe, who as you say is a very special person. Thanks to her this little girl might have the chance she deserves.

johne

Silver
Jun 28, 2003
NYC reunion

LaProfe1 left for the US today with the girl's medical notes. She has organised medical trips to the US for sick children in the past and kindly made all the contacts with this hospital in New York State that is willing to consider the girl's case.

The family say they are overwhelmed by everyone's generosity and asked me to convey their thanks. My colleague told me that his daughter's condition is stable, although she has had a couple of crises lately and has needed medical attention. The doctors say that the sooner she has the surgery, the better.

I'll keep you posted on all developments.
If the hospital is anywhere near NYC this would be a great opportunity to get together and turn out to support LaProfe and the young girl.Count me in.
john

Tuan

Aug 28, 2004
I've read and re-read this thread and can't get any sort of a handle on what it's all about -- except that the posters are to be commended for their compassion. Well, I guess I commend you.