Eating an orange

jrf

Bronze
Jan 9, 2005
So, many times during the day after running around I end up in PoP to get a taxi and usually am ready for a snack and get a couple of the oranges.

They peel the rind off and cut it in half but I can never seem to eat the orange the way the locals do.

At home I peel n eat - white part n all.

Do you have any luck eating them? How do you do it? I end up with one part eaten, half the 'meat' still in the orange, and a bunch of juice either all over my chin and hands.

Mirador

On Permanent Vacation!
Apr 15, 2004
So, many times during the day after running around I end up in PoP to get a taxi and usually am ready for a snack and get a couple of the oranges.

They peel the rind off and cut it in half but I can never seem to eat the orange the way the locals do.

Do you have any luck eating them? How do you do it? I end up with one part eaten, half the 'meat' still in the orange, and a bunch of juice either all over my chin and hands.

practice, practice, and more practice.... and a very sharp knife also helps... ;-)

johne

Silver
Jun 28, 2003
Same difference as

one eating a lobster in a restaurant or at home. Or ribs. Or watermelon. How you do it at home or away makes the difference.
Las Vegas has a theme line that goes something like" what you do here stays here" I guess thats the way we feel about eating certain things en casa

dv8

Gold
Sep 27, 2006

dunno, do we have different oranges back home or what? i used to eat all the stuff, segment by segment but now i happily suck on an orange, a bit messy thou.
strange but sucked orange is so much better than squeezed juice :ermm:
jrf, practice and patience, that's all it takes...

dv8

Gold
Sep 27, 2006
just remember to peel before you suck (back off, perverts!) - the skin is bitter.

2LeftFeet

Bronze
Dec 1, 2006
I think I've missed something-- maybe it's because I've never seen a Dominican orange to have experience this phenomena

Hillbilly

Jan 1, 2002
Hillbilly's Method

If I have my handy Swiss Army knife with me (like all the time), I make about eight vertical cuts around the orange, then slice the top off and peel off the skin. Then, I break open the orange and eat the slices (gajos) one by one, sometime sharing them with people nearby.
There is a version of the SAK that is called the Executive, and it has a fabulous blade made just for peeling oranges this way. But people keep "borrowing" the knife (like 5 or 6 of them have 'disappeared' from my house) so I just use a regular SAK....

NOTE: Because of health risks, I seldom purchase peeled oranges on the street. Although my stomach is pretty well attuned to the local bio-hazards, I prefer to peel my own. Not to say I haven't done it, but....watch out....

HB

jrf

Bronze
Jan 9, 2005
Great idea HB.
I was so used to getting to the taxi and having all my pesos stick to my hands when I went to pay.

dv8

Gold
Sep 27, 2006
can anyone actually tell me how much does on orange like this cost on the street? i often feel tempted but my strategy is not to buy unless i know how much to pay. no use of asking the seller - he'll say a hundred...

Luperon

Who empowered China's crime against humanity?
Jun 28, 2004
yuck!

Nothing better than sucking on an orange that was peeled by the hands of some street vendor. Always wash and peel your own fruit!