Salary ?

D

Duke

I am looking for information about salaries (computer industry) and prices (flat, furniture, food...) in Santo Domingo.

M

mary

I am researching the same things...people have been very helpful in sending e-mails and posting messages. Scroll down a bit and read the response to my post "moving to DR, have job" a women left a message that was very helpful! I also work in the computer industry, the internet specifically. I have been reading that the DR gov. has committed to getting all public schools connected to the Web by the end of August, maybe there are some opportunities there??? Apartments tend to range from 300$ - 3000$ US...people have told me they have nice apartments in safe and nice parts of SD for about 500$US. I have heard mixed reposrt on furniture prices, some say its very expensive others say its comprable to the US - of course it depends on your tastes. go the the escapeartist.com web site...its amazing and very helpful!

P

prtyr

rent

I've gor a place in Isabellita. Less than $300 per month. 1 block from water, Avenida Espana,malecon. Two fairly large bedrooms, living room/dining combo, kitchen, laundry room, balcony, and a small "servants quarters with a small second bath.

Electricity has been known to be less than reliable and it can be without water for a few days. I need to buy a reserve tank to go on the roof to take care of that. Not a ritzy neighborhood, but I've never felt unsafe at all. It is near the Hotel Aquarium, and avenida las americas, so getting to and from airport is kind of quick.

I'm only there a few days a month so it is fine for me. If I lived there, I would either fix it up a bit or get a little bit nicer place. Pretty affordable overall.

BTW, there is a severe shortage of English teachers in SD right now. My girlfriend is studying english and her teacher is less than great.

M

Mark

Re: rent

PLEASE REFER HELP OR REFER ME, i AM LOOKING FOR A ATTRACTIVE 2 BEDROOM APT SANTO DOMINGO / BOCA CHICA AREA.

S

Santiaguero

Duke, for the PC industry it all depends on what you do.
In a cheap company a tech. support person can make RD$10,000 and a programmer can make RD$16,000 a month. In a good company these can make RD$25,000 and RD$35,000.

Good salaries are on the rise but you have to look hard. I would recommend buying the Listin Diario, the leading Dominican newspaper, so you can check out rent and furniture prices.

But, just to let you know, a bed will cost you RD$6,000 plus RD$2,000 for the frame. And a dining room table will go for about RD$12,0000 cash. And a refridgerator will run you anywhere from RD$6,000 to RD$16,000.

Be very careful in moving to the DR. Make sure you're working with a serious company. If you see a ANYTHING that bothers you when you visit them STAY AWAY. Don't think things will get better or they'll have to effect on you.

Make sure that it's an established business and NEVER a startup. You may find yourself out of a job in a week.

J

julian

Re: rent

Well, i have a very nice 2 bedroom appartment in Naco (one of santo domingo's better areas) and rent is about US$430. I must admit that I was very lucky to find a very good appartment in Naco for this money. Rents in the Naco/Piantini area can get pretty outrageous, specially for foreigners, up to US$2000 for a two bedroom. The best thing about this part of the city is that you're within walking distance to major shopping centers, embassies, restaurants, supermarkets and the best gyms in the city, it's in the middle of everything. I wish good luck on your search. e-mail me if u have any questions...