Lemons (yellow oval)

vevy

Feb 14, 2006
Why are there no yellow lemons to be found in the DR? The closest thing I have found is a small green fruit which looks like a lime but tastes like a cross between a lemon and a lime ... anyone know the name of that fruit? (It is not a key lime.) Anyone out there germinating fruit seeds and meeting with any success? As an aside, I have had great results propagating chinola seeds/vines.

whirleybird

Silver
Feb 27, 2006
we have quite a number of genuine lemon trees with real lemons so they do grow here okay (we also have limes so I do know the difference). We also have much chinolla.

Rocky

Honorificabilitudinitatibus
Apr 4, 2002
www.rockysbar.com
Why are there no yellow lemons to be found in the DR? The closest thing I have found is a small green fruit which looks like a lime but tastes like a cross between a lemon and a lime ... anyone know the name of that fruit? (It is not a key lime.) Anyone out there germinating fruit seeds and meeting with any success? As an aside, I have had great results propagating chinola seeds/vines.
Export quality limes and lemons are grown in Sabana Grande, between Hato Major and Sabana de la Mar, at Barcelo's & Peynado's citrus farms.
Neither of these fruits hit the local markets.
The wild "limon" (probably the fruit you describe above) that grows here is so popular, it would be a waste of time and energy to try to market actual lemons.

whirleybird

Silver
Feb 27, 2006
can see your point Rocky, didn't want to market them just advise that we have them - loads when in season

Don Pedro

Apr 2, 2005
are there no yellow lemons to be found in the DR?

In Mao valverde they produce a lot but for export only.

dv8

Gold
Sep 27, 2006
hey, i was curious about orange oranges and minovio tells me they too are only for export!

Rocky

Honorificabilitudinitatibus
Apr 4, 2002
www.rockysbar.com
hey, i was curious about orange oranges and minovio tells me they too are only for export!
The only oranges I have seen exported are the Valencianas (Valencias) and they are usually sent to closeby islands, and aren't quite the quality of oranges that you would see on storeshelves in North America.
The skins aren't perfect looking and they are sometimes a bit dry, when the oranges are too big,

Tamborista

hasta la tambora
Apr 4, 2005
we have quite a number of genuine lemon trees with real lemons so they do grow here okay (we also have limes so I do know the difference). We also have much chinolla.

Are you going to start a line of limon bathtub vodka to compete with Stoli Limon? The Euro kids in Cabarete love that stuff with soda.

tambo'

whirleybird

Silver
Feb 27, 2006
Are you going to start a line of limon bathtub vodka to compete with Stoli Limon? The Euro kids in Cabarete love that stuff with soda.

tambo'

I can only assume you placed this comment prior to the case of mistaken identity being resolved? :cheeky: