True Dominican Food - Where?

vevy

Feb 14, 2006
In what restaurant in Puerto Plata, Sosua, or Cabarete can one fine true Dominican food - meat with raisins, egg plant, or fish soup... and not the regular offerings provided by the local restaurants which cater to the tourist trade?

globalmike295

On Vacation
Jul 11, 2006
In what restaurant in Puerto Plata, Sosua, or Cabarete can one fine true Dominican food - meat with raisins, egg plant, or fish soup... and not the regular offerings provided by the local restaurants which cater to the tourist trade?

That would be PJ's, a much maligned restaurant that has been given countless, unwarranted negative reviews.

I arrived here 1 year ago, and for 90 pesos, you have a 2 piece chicken dinner to go complete with rice beans and a side salad. ( hint ) for 10 pesos more????

They also have an inexpensive breakfast, which is very competitive,
however for unlimeted pots of coffee, and all the cigarettes you can smoke, I would suggest Rocky"s

That is my restaraunt review for this week......

cuas

May 29, 2006
That is what "vevy" said he wants to know where he can find one true dominican food "meat with raisin, eggplant, etc.

Chris

Gold
Oct 21, 2002
www.caribbetech.com
meat with raisins, egg plant, or fish soup...

I have never eaten these things in any Dominican Restaurant on the North Coast. Usually it is rice and beans, with some kind of meat and a salad. I've eaten egg plant at home cooked meals or catered meals but not meat with raisins. I've never seen fish soup anywhere on the North Coast as a Dominican Dish. Sanchocho yes, but that is not fish soup.

Tracypee

Oct 23, 2006
We never saw true Dominican food in a "restaurant" as such but we did have chicken, rice and beans from Juan y Mamy between Supermercado Playero and Supermercado Sosua on the same side of the road. It was $80 and delicious. At home we would not have even dreamt of going to a place like that - but we say "when in Rome".
The other place we ate was Provocon, that was good too.

Rick Snyder

Silver
Nov 19, 2003
SIT you are always bienvenido at my house if you are ever in the area as well as anyone else that that should decide to get off the beaten path.

Rick

Bob K

Silver
Aug 16, 2004
New place called El Choco at the bottom of el choco road (casa linda road) and the main highway. Just opened and is owned by the same folks who have the great german rest. in caberete. They also have some traditional DR dishes.
I have had sancocho (?sp) twice here in the DR. Once by a dominican family and it was great, and now once at this new place and it was great. You may want to try it.

Bob K

Vibe_2020

Jul 1, 2003
Susana's Restaurant

Try Susana's Restaurant in Sosua.

It's right across the street from Hotel Europa and the magazine stand.

It's ran by Dominicans and their clientle are mostly Dominicans.

I can't wait to get back and eat the fish and chicken
(the best I've ever had).