Social facts and figures

skeates67

Feb 14, 2007
Can anyone tell me the best place to go to get the absolute correct facts on things like crime figures, the state of the private education system, inflation figures etc? Anything official.
Cheers

Hillbilly

Jan 1, 2002
The Central Bank publishes some figures. So does the Secretary of Education.

Just how accurate they are is highly questionable.

Yesterday, there was a report that the economy grew 9.1% in the first quarter. Just how many people believed the report is unknown.

HB

Rick Snyder

Silver
Nov 19, 2003
For your reading pleasure;

http://www.ifla.org/IV/ifla71/papers/167-e_Durrant.pdf
Portal Secretar?a de Estado de Hacienda
Comprometidos con la Verdad! - Junta Central Electoral.
Portal del Senado de la República Dominicana > Inicio
SIL - Cámara de Diputados > Inicio
Banco Central de la Rep?blica Dominicana
Autoridad Metropolitana de Transporte Terrestre - AMET
Autoridad Metropolitana de Transporte Terrestre - AMET

This should get you started. Due to the types of record keeping done here and the decentralization between different offices of the same entities the availability of accurate statistics is virtually impossible. You can gleam enough information to come to a general consensus concerning any topic but exactness is an exercise in mental masturbation. If you are requesting information about any one particular subject then ask and those of us that have studied those areas may be able to help you further.

Rick

skeates67

Feb 14, 2007
HELP....Sorry for shouting

Thanks for all the replies. Let me tell you the problem I have.
We are going through a tug of war over my son. His dada doesnt want us to take him to DR. We are divorced you see. It was bitter to say the least. We have been to DR and we love it. We need crime stats so we can say for certain that its not like down-town Baghdad. We know it isnt but to the ignorant you may aswell be talking Swahili!
Please help.

pmey27

Oct 12, 2006
Statistics!

If you know anything about basic statistics then you know they can be worked however and manipulated however you desire. Examine standard deviation and probability and you will perhaps find truth!

Chris

Gold
Oct 21, 2002
www.caribbetech.com
It would perhaps help to understand if you're coming to the DR on holiday, or to live, or for a period of time only. Also, where in the DR? The members of the board can give you information about their lifestyles, schools, where their children go and so on, but the DR is a big island. Santo Domingo for example, is completely different from Sosua.

So, where to, and for what period - and it may be easier to give you information.

C

Chip00

Thanks for all the replies. Let me tell you the problem I have.
We are going through a tug of war over my son. His dada doesnt want us to take him to DR. We are divorced you see. It was bitter to say the least. We have been to DR and we love it. We need crime stats so we can say for certain that its not like down-town Baghdad. We know it isnt but to the ignorant you may aswell be talking Swahili!
Please help.

Search the forums because I posted the government issued crime statistics and surprisingly it wasn't flattering.

If you move here here is a little advice:

1. Speak fluent Spanish
2. Do not move to the capital or the coastal areas.
3. Move to Santiago in a nice area and make sure your house has iron bars and you know all of your neighbors. There is everything you need in Santiago to be happy for the most part - including good bi-lingual schools,

suerte
ciao

tflea

Bronze
Jun 11, 2006
Beaches

And how far is the nearest beach from Santiago? And how's that traffic about 0730-1000 in the a.m. and 1600-1900 in the p.m.? Bars on your windows? Not everywhere in Sosua.
I agree not SDQ.....but Santiago for me is 'little Santo Domingo', without as many idiots. The idiots here are mostly sedated, and if they're not, we immediately inject them with demirol (called Brugal here).!:bunny:

Me_again

Bronze
Nov 21, 2004
CI Who?

And the CIA says that the conventional short form for the Dominican Republic is ....

conventional short form: The Dominican

Screw 'em. What do they know? I will continue to discourage the use of that ugly , sloppy term. But I may start calling the USA The United

victoriac

May 17, 2007
spaces.msn.com
Not Santiago, not United

For God's sake, no! "The United" should be only used to talk about ManU!!!

Regarding Santiago, I don't know, I'm just about to move to RD and I am also interested in knowing about good places to live and as far as I recall Santiago was a nightmare to me. On that ocassion - about three years ago - I was lonely planeting RD and though it didn't mean any trouble for me anywhere else in the country, it was very hard and even scary to be a girl walking along Santiago's streets on her own. Even getting a cab was not cool. And I'm not even talking about walking at night, I'm talking about moving around the city at 3pm!!

Giving my profession, I might have to make my living in SDQ or even Santiago, thus I'm trully concerned about the problems that may face a single woman living in those cities: what places I should avoid? On what hood I shouldn't even think on living... what about the transportation? (I'm not planning on buying a car after having remained in the same job for at least 6 months) Is public transport dangerous? Is it punctual? Do buses have specific routes? Where should I get info on these subjects???

(please help)

V.

C

Chip00

For God's sake, no! "The United" should be only used to talk about ManU!!!

Regarding Santiago, I don't know, I'm just about to move to RD and I am also interested in knowing about good places to live and as far as I recall Santiago was a nightmare to me. On that ocassion - about three years ago - I was lonely planeting RD and though it didn't mean any trouble for me anywhere else in the country, it was very hard and even scary to be a girl walking along Santiago's streets on her own. Even getting a cab was not cool. And I'm not even talking about walking at night, I'm talking about moving around the city at 3pm!!

Giving my profession, I might have to make my living in SDQ or even Santiago, thus I'm trully concerned about the problems that may face a single woman living in those cities: what places I should avoid? On what hood I shouldn't even think on living... what about the transportation? (I'm not planning on buying a car after having remained in the same job for at least 6 months) Is public transport dangerous? Is it punctual? Do buses have specific routes? Where should I get info on these subjects???

(please help)

V.

I wish you best of luck. However, if you think was Santiago was trouble, you might seriously consider your move as most would say Santiago is one of the better places to live and much more safer thatn the capital.

suerte