Crime in Las Terranas?!

RonS

Bronze
Oct 18, 2004
Can someone tell me what is going on in Las Terranas? The news today is that the hotel owners are taking 'matters' into thier own hands and hiring extra security guards. Is crime there that bad now?

Squat

Tropical geek in Las Terrenas
Jan 1, 2002
Yes and no... If you live in a well-secured house, if you lock yourself after dark, and don't go out at night, you shouldn't experiment any problem.
However, if your house is still open after dark, and if it is located in a remote area such as a hill or a far away beach... Then you are a sitting-duck.

It is now necessary to do some homework when planning one's stay in LT.

However let me state that I am living down here since 3 years and never experimented personally any problem. (but my house is well-secured)

Mirador

On Permanent Vacation!
Apr 15, 2004
I saw this the other day, I wonder where can you get it....

4qgfskn.jpg

scotpgot

May 26, 2004
www.jazzwriter.com
I also have been here three years and don't think it's any better or worse now than when we arrived. Just a little more light is being shown into the darker crevices, is all.

As always, common sense applies. Don't carry large bills, expensive jewelry, etc. Don't sit out on your terrace with your laptop at 2 in the morning. Try to stay to well-lit paths (not always possible).

I wouldn't go so far as to say "Don't go out at night." But I WOULD say don't stay out til 4 in the morning and be obviously intoxicated. Don't be out late alone . . . etc.

And I would agree that living in a remote area requires some extra barbed wire and maybe cactus, and even then, if someone "hears" you've got money, it can make you a target. But in general, the thieves will choose the path of least resistance.

I worry about this "taking matters into our own hands" stuff. Unless VERY well trained and willing to do what is necessary, more armed guards will do little but to bring more arms.

Kyle

Silver
Jun 2, 2006
the Daily News said the whole police force is going to be transferred. will this help or do they now have a new group of thieves ?

Tuan

Aug 28, 2004
PLEASE! Someone find out where they transferred those LT cops to. I don't want them here!

Squat

Jan 1, 2002
the Daily News said the whole police force is going to be transferred. will this help or do they now have a new group of thieves ?

;) you already know the answer... ;)

Robert

Stay Frosty!
Jan 2, 1999
dr1.com
These are the photos of cops caught red handed robbing people on camera.

Let's hope they do something, now their faces have been seen and circulated to lots of people and media via email.

Unfortunately, the cops in the DR are often the biggest criminals.

01.jpg

02.jpg

03.jpg

04.jpg

Squat

Jan 1, 2002
Let me comment that I have been driving from LT to SFde Macoris and back today, it was full of police roadblocks... There was even a truckload of policemen with a flat-tire :) at the view-point overlooking Sanchez.

Yesterday, when passing twice in front of the LT police station, it looked like everyone was ready to go to a war-zone ! Plenty of DNCD, plenty of new cops, Politur, various trucks...

Great, plenty of brand new thieves... And we are such a bunch of gringo fools, we even buy them bikes and pay for their gas, so they can commit crime faster !