Rent 6 Months in Advance???

Vibe_2020

Jul 1, 2003
Hello,

I inquired about renting an apartment in Nagua and I was told that I would have to pay the rent 6 months in advance.

Is this legal?
Is this the norm?

Why would anyone pay for rent 6 months in advance?
You might as well buy a property.

Any insight is appreciated?

Thanks.

SKY

Gold
Apr 11, 2004
This is not normal for here, or anywhere else. In the DR normally two months rent is sufficient. First and one month security, anyone asking for more should be avoided.

Mirador

On Permanent Vacation!
Apr 15, 2004
This is not normal for here, or anywhere else. In the DR normally two months rent is sufficient. First and one month security, anyone asking for more should be avoided.

Consider a 6 months advance rent as a long-term lease contract. Why not? You can negotiate a lower monthly rate by offering one initial payment covering six months. My father once rented our home for under a two-year lease contract involving payment in advance, and with the money he moved the entire familty to the U.S. I once offered a landlady in Jarabacoa, an eight month rent payment for a cottage by the river Jimenoa, with the condition she got rid of a scruffy-looking painter living in the cottage next door, who happened to be way behind on his rent. She actually found it a deal to pay the bum to leave the premises, and accept my eight-month advance....

SKY

Gold
Apr 11, 2004
What about when you pay six months in advance and something expensive needs to be fixed and the landlord won't do it? If you only paid two months you can leave a lot sooner if need be.

Remember one thing: In the DR there are no refunds!

Andy B

Bronze
Jan 1, 2002
www.elmarinique.com
Paying for 6 months up front is not unusual in the DR given that upholding a lease agreement or trying to collect on a tenant who has skipped out is next to impossible. For a commercial lease, it is the norm to pay at least 6 months up front given the high number of businesses that fail.

SKY

Gold
Apr 11, 2004
There is zero chance of a Dominican paying six months rent in advance. This is only for Gringos.

Mirador

On Permanent Vacation!
Apr 15, 2004
What about when you pay six months in advance and something expensive needs to be fixed and the landlord won't do it? If you only paid two months you can leave a lot sooner if need be.

Remember one thing: In the DR there are no refunds!

What's the matter with you guys, where's your negotiating spirit!. I once negotiated a much lower rent payment by offering to pay for anything that needed fixing, plus I threw in that all improvements on the property would go to the owner upon termination of the lease...

Vibe_2020

Jul 1, 2003
Apartment is for a Dominican

There is zero chance of a Dominican paying six months rent in advance. This is only for Gringos.

The apartment is for a Dominican.

Aparently 6 months in advance is the norm in Nagua...

But I don't buy it...

These apartments are not high end and there isn't much chance that a native Dominican looking at these types of apartments could afford to pay 6 months in advance.

Something smells fishy...

Lambada

Gold
Mar 4, 2004
www.ginniebedggood.com
Is the apartment actually completed, ready to live in? Sometimes the money will be needed to finish off the work - which means checking that that is what it actually gets spent on. Otherwise the person will be moving into a half completed apartment.

shadInToronto

On Vacation....
Nov 16, 2003
... Something smells fishy...
Looks like you're doing this for someone there and he/she is hoping to cash in on your lack of knowledge in this matter ... be careful. One time I asked someone to check out an apartment for me and she told me the landlord wanted US$100. as a downpayment to discuss the lease and show her the apartment.