Electricity in Santo Domingo (dah Capital)

Rosanna

Apr 28, 2007
It took me over 2 months before I finally found an apartment.
It took another 2 weeks to get the electricity.
My landlord told me I could ask the tenents above to borrow their electricity until I get my own.
So for 2 weeks I was borrowing the electricity from tenents above me. They told me I could pay them 1/2 of the bill later or give them something in return in future.
When the electric company came in I was told that the tenents above me were stealing the electricity from the street wires. I cannot get over how stupid my landlord and her tenents are. They never told me they were tapping into the electrical power lines illegally, but didn't they know that once electric company comes inside the house they will discover the theft? And how about my neighbor's suggestion that I pay him for half of the electric bill
when it did not cost them anything?
I've wasted 2 months first with a landlord who never finished installing plumbing so I could not use the bathroom or have any running water --to dealing now with a landlord who supports electricity theft.
I am in Buena Vista Secunda- Hermanas de Miraval area of Santo Domingo. Did I pick the wrong area to live in?
I am paying dirt cheap - 6,000 pesos a month plus a garage (if I can keep my free-loader neighbor from using it half of the time). Hey, anyone in my area? Heeeeeeelp!

amparocorp

Bronze
Aug 11, 2002
i'm surprised that your landlord didn't hook you up illegally from day one, or the neighbor for that matter. they will get disconnected and then they will hook up illegally again as soon as the co. truck leaves your street. be careful they don't hook up to you, if you now have legal service, you could wind up paying for the whole neighborhood. at the cheap price you pay for rent i can assume that the landlord figured you'd do your own plumbing, not kidding, that's the way it's done in the DR, he probably figured you'd do your own illegal electric hook up too. apartments in the DR, unlike in the states, do not come with stove, refrigerator, light fixtures, etc. you can get that stuff but you will pay for it. i'm not saying i like it this way or condone stealing electric, but when in the barrio you do as the romans...............

Criss Colon

Platinum
Jan 2, 2002
yahoomail.com
Learn THIS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

NEVER,I repeat N-E-V-E-R give money to a Dominican for anything he/she is going to do for you at some time in the future!!! They have what they want,you don't have what you want! They have no incentive to complete the task,they already have the $$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$!!!!
You should NEVER rely on the "Word" of a Dominican,it means nothing!!!
I am not saying that Dominicans are "Bad People",altho some are,but they have very different "Cultural Norms" than people from more developed (Read Civilized!!) countries. For example,If you are dumb enough to loan money to a Dominican, it then becomes your responsiobility to track them down to get your money back! Not their responsibility to find you and pay you back!! Wierd right??
Best of luck! Just remember that you are not offending a Dominican when you say "No!" to their requests for Favors,dollars,or other kinds of "help".They are used to hearing it!!! They just start asking at the top of the "Food Chain" which is usually any "Foreigners" they happen to know!
CCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCC

Rosanna

Apr 28, 2007
Electricity...blah...blah....blah

Hermanas Mirabal - isn't that Villa Mella way?

Yes, it is near Villa Mella and correct spelling is Hermanas
Mirabal.
Look, its been a long time since I've been in S.D.
I had no one help me find an apartment.
I am not rich and I'll be staying in Santo Domingo for 2-3
more months, maybe little longer.
I am living in a 3 bedroom apartment with a terrace, a pretty yard with fruit trees. There are gates all over and the windows have gates as well.
But can you imagine 3 bedrooms and only one bathroom.
And the bathroom has a shower (a cold shower), no bathtub!

Chris

Gold
Oct 21, 2002
www.caribbetech.com
Go to your local ferreteria and buy a on-demand water heater. Somehow I forget the Spanish name for them, but you install them in place of a shower head .. and they heat the water when it comes out. Simple, easy but needs correct installation to ensure you don't electrocute yourself.

If your place is well secured (with bars on windows and doors and so on), and garden and fruit trees, and if it is nice ... don't worry about making changes ... just enjoy the environment. The time that you have to stay there, is short. Keep taking electricity from the neighbors and pay them back with making a meal for them or an evening with a few Presidentes. Three months is not enough time in the DR to sort out electricity, payment for electricity and all that kind of stuff. Go with the flow!

Rosanna

Apr 28, 2007
You were absolutely right!

You were absolutely right.
As soon as the electric company truck left the tenents in my building all tapped into my electric meter.
I have but three options:
a)Pay for electricity for everyone in my building.
b)Fight and get killed.
c)Move out.
I opt for moving out.
I thank you for all your advice and sympathy, but I was raised that if you take something you have to pay for it.
I just cannot change and join the crowds in stealing services.
I'd appreciate very much if anyone will let me know of any apartments for rent for up to 9,000 pesos/month in a safer area.
Thank you.

i'm surprised that your landlord didn't hook you up illegally from day one, or the neighbor for that matter. they will get disconnected and then they will hook up illegally again as soon as the co. truck leaves your street. be careful they don't hook up to you, if you now have legal service, you could wind up paying for the whole neighborhood. at the cheap price you pay for rent i can assume that the landlord figured you'd do your own plumbing, not kidding, that's the way it's done in the DR, he probably figured you'd do your own illegal electric hook up too. apartments in the DR, unlike in the states, do not come with stove, refrigerator, light fixtures, etc. you can get that stuff but you will pay for it. i'm not saying i like it this way or condone stealing electric, but when in the barrio you do as the romans...............

Criss Colon

Platinum
Jan 2, 2002
yahoomail.com
You Really Can't "Survive" In The DR If You Can't "ADAPT"!

What a "civilized" Society does,and what "Dominicans" do are two different "animals"!
What is "Rude,obnoxious,and even "Criminal" behavior elsewher,is just "Everyday Life" here! I know,I do like the "Romans",only more so!
(You mean you have to "PAY" for electricity here???) Who Knew!

You have to "Go Along To Get Along"!
ccccccccccccccccccccccccccccccccccccccccccccccccccccccccccccc

Mirador

On Permanent Vacation!
Apr 15, 2004
A total of four thousand four hundred and eighty seven (4,487) industrial and commercial companies, residential condominiums, car dealerships, agricultural enterprises, and different business have been 'taken to justice' during the last fifteen months for electrical fraud and illegal conections."

Today's El Nacional

Mirador

On Permanent Vacation!
Apr 15, 2004
EDENORTE denounces terrorism in their plants

EDENORTE charges that a group of people with "typical terrorist intent" tried to sabotage their installations in Punto Expreso Maim?n, province of Monse?or Nouel.

EDENORTE also adds that due to "indiscriminate" use and "lack of energy saving" from clients and users are causing overload of their transformers in Maimon, causing a potential failure of the Maimon substation.

Today's El Nacional

Chris

Gold
Oct 21, 2002
www.caribbetech.com
You were absolutely right.
As soon as the electric company truck left the tenents in my building all tapped into my electric meter.
I have but three options:
a)Pay for electricity for everyone in my building.

Rosanna, you are in trouble. If this electricity is in your name, you are looking at real problems. If you do not pay this, the electricity company will place an impediamente de salida (spelling?) on you and you will not be able to leave the Dominican Republic without paying. They do not care who tapped into your meter, they only care about payment.

Sometimes you have to do as the Romans do. You're in a pickle.

What on earth does she need to do to get herself out of this and quickly?

Criss Colon

Platinum
Jan 2, 2002
yahoomail.com
A "GOOD START" On Punishing Those Electricity Theives!!

With 4,487 taken to "Justicia" in the last 15 months,that ONLY leaves 4,487,001 more to go! That should keep the "Electricity Police" busy for the next 10,000 years!!!!!
;) ;) ;) :cheeky: :cheeky: :cheeky:
Cris Colon CCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCC

PS. She MUST go to the office where she signed up for her Electric Meter! Play "Damsel-In-Distress"! Get the meter removed and a "Report" filed about what happened. This needs to be done yesterday! Get her "meter" removed and the service cancelled!She will not be able to get new service in her name if she has a "Balance Due"!

2LeftFeet

Bronze
Dec 1, 2006
What a pain in the A$$. All you want to do is come home and enjoy your fruit trees and you have to deal with this nonsense.

Hey-- you better listen there was this other poster that owed $10,000 US not pesos for electricity!!!

Whatever happened to him?????

Chris

Gold
Oct 21, 2002
www.caribbetech.com
OK, we're talking about electricity here - not about the revolution, the 2nd coming or cris colon. You want to talk about all this other stuff, feel free to open a new thread. I'm still worry about what Rosanna got herself into.
Keep it clean please.