Puerto Plata- How far away are nearby towns?

Status
Not open for further replies.

todiscover

May 17, 2007
I am thinking of renting an apartment near Puerto Plata but was curious as to how far Puerto Plata actually is from the nearby towns.

If I am driving my own car, how far is it from Puerto Plata to these four towns:

Costambar
Playa Confresi
Sosua
Cabaret

Thanks!

Lambada

Gold
Mar 4, 2004
www.ginniebedggood.com
The distance will be the same regardless of the mode of transport.....;) From PP centre to Costambar 10 mins by car if no roadworks, to Cofresi 15/20 ditto, to Sosua 30 mins, to Cabarete 40 mins approx. All influenced by whether you drive like a bat out of hell, roadworks, sudden rain showers, protests, marches and time of day etc. Just to alert you Costambar & Cofresi are not really 'towns'.

todiscover

May 17, 2007
Thanks!

If you had the option of renting a condo in any of these four locations, which would be your preference?
Keeping in mind that I will be renting a condo with a Dominican that has a car. I want to be in a safe quite area with good beaches, but close enough to some nighttime action.

Thanks!

Conchman

Silver
Jul 3, 2002
www.oceanworld.net
the road into Costambar is a nightmare, the Dominican should have at least a truck or a SUV. Costambar has more choices and is closer to POP than Cofresi, Cofresi is more quiet and laid back, also much smaller.

planner

.............. ?
Sep 23, 2002
There are many decent safe neighbourhoods in Puerto Plata. Then you are not far from beaches, shopping, restaurants, night life etc.

It is not too difficult to find a good apartment here, your boyfriend should be able to help you.

Lambada

Gold
Mar 4, 2004
www.ginniebedggood.com
the road into Costambar is a nightmare, the Dominican should have at least a truck or a SUV.

It was again this morning. I have a very sturdy Mitsubishi Montero SUV with a redone chassis so it is tough as a tank but that road plays havoc on suspension. They've now blocked off the 'private land' near the mud lake so there is no option but to stick to the road/'pavement'. I actually went into 4WD this morning to have more control.

todiscover, if I were in your position I'd opt for PP itself not Costambar or Cofresi. If he leaves you at the apartment (because he has to go to work or something) then you are able to get around PP using guaguas, ruta taxis, etc or even conchos, or walk. Stuck out in Costambar or Cofresi you wouldn't be easily able to walk anywhere other than those places themselves. Also, should the relationship have a hiccup you can easily get to gringo bars in PP if you needed to find other foreigners. I'm not saying this will happen nor wishing it on you, just trying to cover all eventualities.............;)

Sharon Ann

Mar 1, 2007
Puerto Plata Apartments

There are many decent safe neighbourhoods in Puerto Plata. Then you are not far from beaches, shopping, restaurants, night life etc.

It is not too difficult to find a good apartment here, your boyfriend should be able to help you.

I too am considering living in the Puerto Plata area and wonder which part of town is safe and very reasonable priced. Any suggestions??

Charlielyn

Bronze
Jul 31, 2005
If your boyfriend wants you to live in the DR with him, then he should find the apartment. He lives there. He can speak spanish and negogiate the rental price. Why are you making the arrangements from another country when he lives there??? The answer is very obvious to me. Think Girl!!!!!!!

Hillbilly

Jan 1, 2002
Ah, the voice of reason.

What a deal: I got this woman with a fine apartment, she pays for everything, lights, water and telephone. I pay her in "services rendered" ...If I work this right I'll get married (what does she know!) and get my visa to (country of your nationality) and get outta here! Man I almost got it made.

Now, of only those know-it-alls on DR1 don't tell her the truth....oh well, I got this hottie from the UK coming in tomorrow....

HB

todiscover

May 17, 2007
Wow! It's amazing how many assumptions people make on this site.
You know, not all women have the wool over there eyes when it comes to Dominican men. First of all, they aren't all Sankys trying to leave. Secondly, not all women that have Domincan "boyfriends" think that its true love. Some of us are playing the same game they are.
Sometimes two people can feel good together, enjoy each others company, but have no intentions of pursing anything other than that.

Dont assume all women are naive when it comes to this matter.

dv8

Gold
Sep 27, 2006
todiscover - opt for POP. with recent traffic isseas you'll get a cardiac arrest just getting through traffic. from POP you can easily get to sosua/cabarete (no road works) in 30 minutes and just as easily to costambar/cofresi (about 20 minutes with no traffic and good weather and 2 hours if it rains).
i sure hope your dominican had jeepeta coz small cars are kinda wasted of driving in POP.
have a good stay.

C

Chip00

Wow! It's amazing how many assumptions people make on this site.
You know, not all women have the wool over there eyes when it comes to Dominican men. First of all, they aren't all Sankys trying to leave. Secondly, not all women that have Domincan "boyfriends" think that its true love. Some of us are playing the same game they are.
Sometimes two people can feel good together, enjoy each others company, but have no intentions of pursing anything other than that.

Dont assume all women are naive when it comes to this matter.

Yes, but it appears that you are really doing something that the bf should be doing. Please understand, anytime a gringo negotiates anything here in the DR with a Dominican, especially in the tourist areas, the Domincan will charge them as much as they think they can get away with it. In other words the apartment that you think is a great steal at RD20k monthly will probably be rented to a Dominican for less than RD10k a month. Same story with car etc.

todiscover

May 17, 2007
Thanks Chip!
I'm actually only looking at vacation rentals for one week stays.
Most of the apartments i have been looking at are owned by people who live in US and Canada, and then rent out the apartments to anyone intersted at nightly/weekly/monthly rates.

I can totally have my friend find something for us, but I am the type of person who likes to know where I am going. So, hence I am just getting my facts straight and then going to suggest a couple of places and let him take over from there.

Thanks for the input. I am now strongly considering staying in the POP area.

Charlielyn

Bronze
Jul 31, 2005
Thanks!

If you had the option of renting a condo in any of these four locations, which would be your preference?
Keeping in mind that I will be renting a condo with a Dominican that has a car. I want to be in a safe quite area with good beaches, but close enough to some nighttime action.

Thanks!
Read everything on this board and believe what you read.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.