Is it a waste of time trying to get visitor visa?

KLC

May 18, 2007
I was just reading threw the posts here and it seems very hard for Dominicans to get a visitors visa for Canada. Is it a waste of time and money to even try? Does anyone have any tips or suggestions?

AnnaC

Gold
Jan 2, 2002
Extremely few visitor's visas are issued to Dominicans. If you've read through these threads you know what they need to get one and there's still no guarantee one will be issued. This seems especially true if the applicant is young, male and has no ties or a good profession to return to.

JC171

Oct 20, 2002
this is how my friend did it

My Friend recently helped her boyfriend get a visitors visa to Canada...he also got rejected the first time...but applied 6 months later and got accepted.
He is 27 years old and works as a Resort manager
Heres what he had to take
Passport
Cedula
Proof of income...(which in his case is about 1,500 Cdn per month)
Letter of inviation ( we figured if we invited him he would be seen as a risk so we just bought a tour package for 7 days)
Hotel reservations
Bank statements (we lent him 5 grand cdn to put into his account and didnt touch any of it for 6 months)
Travelors insurance
Letter from his job (saying he had X amount of days of vacation)
Property tittle ( we put his parents house,and two cars under his name)
Airline ticket reservations (Round trip-we bought it first class so they would think he had money)

he went to the interview...and was asked a whole bunch of questions...about the places he would visit...Since it was an organized tour he knew all of it by heart...He asked for a 8 day visitors visa and GOT 6 months multiple entry visa...so he came to Canada and did his tour for a week and then stayed 45 days with his GF and we all had a great time.
It was a alot of work and paperwork but the 2nd time around it worked out..I think the fact it was an organized tour and that he seemed to be able to do it himself without the help of a canadian really helped..ofcourse my friend did help but the consulate didnt have to know this..hehehehe

Thats my story!!!

Hillbilly

Jan 1, 2002
The US Consulate would have spotted that Cdn$ 5000 deposit and asked about it.
However, it worked for you....so I suppose it is okay. Now, will he be going back? To Canada I mean....this might be a 1: 10,000 case..

HB

johne

Silver
Jun 28, 2003
Bank Deposit

In one case I know about (U.S.) the amount of money in the bank needed to be verified only by a notorized letter from a bank officer. In this case the embassy only saw that there was a bank account and how much was in it. Did not show deposits or withdrawals.

jrzyguy

Bronze
May 5, 2004
i have read about the bank deposit and how there should be activity on the account etc.

My question is...is it possible to open up an account for a domincan friend and yet limit their control over the account? 5k is 5k and i wouldnt lend a friend here in the states that kinda of money unless we had a written and legal agreement.

johne

Silver
Jun 28, 2003
i have read about the bank deposit and how there should be activity on the account etc.

My question is...is it possible to open up an account for a domincan friend and yet limit their control over the account? 5k is 5k and i wouldnt lend a friend here in the states that kinda of money unless we had a written and legal agreement.

Two signatures required for withdrawal?

Pib

Goddess
Jan 1, 2002
www.dominicancooking.com
I don't know how the Canadian consulate works, having never been to Canada myself, but whenever I have needed a 'carta de banco' it states how long the person has been a customer of the bank, the date the account was opened and the average balance within the last year. IIRC, when I got my US visa, some time in the ice age, I also needed to show copies of my last 3 bank statements. Luckily I have been a customer of the same bank since I was a minor :)

Things could be done differently nowadays, but it is the same with all other visas I have requested.