Medications

K

Kerri and Patrick

We are going to the DR in May. My finance and I are both on prescription medication. I was wondering, do these have to be specially packaged?? What about Tylenol or Motrin?? Are these things allowed??? Do they have to be sealed?? My travel agent thinks we are nuts!!!! Any comments will be greatly appreciated!!

G

grace

I make certain that my medication is in a labeled prescription bottle. It's never been a problem. You could, if it would give you peace of mind, have a written prescription (chemical name, not brand name) with you as well. About OTC medicines I know nothing certain, but I would think that a new package with tamper proof safeguards untouched should not pose a problem.

E

ECH, M.D.

Medications in their orginial container poses no problem. And I had to laugh at the perscription "written in the chemical name not the brand name".....many physicians don't know the generic name, what makes you think a customs agent, with no medical training, will know!

G

grace

Really, ECH, it doesn't make a lot of difference. Do you think that the customs inspector could make out the handwriting anyway?

E

ECH, M.D.

TOUCHE. If they are like me I can't make out most of my colleagues handwriting. And, along those lines, one of my colleagues was involved in a litigation several years ago and was asked to read, in court on the witness stand, his notes and orders written by him in the hospital chart. After a long and deafening silence he admitted he could not even read his own writing. The court immediately found for the plaintiff.

J

Jo Anne

I am on various medications and was prepared to travel: original bottles for the prescriptions and back up prescriptions written by the doctors. I don't know if it was because we flew into Santiago, but the customs officers never gave us any problem. In fact, they only checked my duffel bag and looked at my camera. No questions or hassles. Good luck!

J

Jayson

Ummm. Yeah, your nuts. Don't sweat it. Just bribe the official if it is a problem. Or visit a farmacia and get new medication. They don't require a prescription if you know what you need, but psychotrophics will need a prescription. I live here.