Applying for Police Records for DR residency

tish

Mar 10, 2007
I have another query. According to the DR Embassy, as part of the application process for Residency in the DR, one needs to have a 'clean' police record dated no more than 30 days of applying for residency.

How strict is the DR embassy with this aspect of the application. I'm on my third attempt of applying for this police check, because I keep getting the reply too early. Scotland Yard Police Dept, say they usually take anywhere between 10 and 40 days to reply.

Anybody else have a similar experience/nightmare?

tsg

Mar 25, 2007
I have another query. According to the DR Embassy, as part of the application process for Residency in the DR, one needs to have a 'clean' police record dated no more than 30 days of applying for residency.

How strict is the DR embassy with this aspect of the application. I'm on my third attempt of applying for this police check, because I keep getting the reply too early. Scotland Yard Police Dept, say they usually take anywhere between 10 and 40 days to reply.

Anybody else have a similar experience/nightmare?

I think u still can "buy" it...no hazzle. For sure u can do it if the government will change... People that has to leave office needs to pick up some money... When Hipolito left office... 2 minutes... Photo, fingerprint. Set and done! 800 USD. At that time they issued the permanent ones directly... Vive la republica!

dv8

Gold
Sep 27, 2006
yard? so you are british, no?
i applied for my police check in UK (last country of residence): paid 10 quid, filled up papers, got answer back in a week. no hassle.

Lambada

Gold
Mar 4, 2004
www.ginniebedggood.com
Are you applying for residency before you move here? Most people apply after they arrive. The buena conducta certificate can be obtained here. And ignore the advice about 'buying' residency via a back door method. This isn't good advice and can bring a whole lot of problems.

tish

Mar 10, 2007
Are you applying for residency before you move here? Most people apply after they arrive. The buena conducta certificate can be obtained here. And ignore the advice about 'buying' residency via a back door method. This isn't good advice and can bring a whole lot of problems.

The DR Embassy in London advised me to obtain all the paper work needed for the Residency application before I leave and then apply for it once I arrive to the DR. 'The trick is', they said the police check must be dated within 30 days of the application and this is the problem I'm having. I received my police check in the post May 17th, which is too early. I'm still waiting to exchange on my property, so I don't know when I'm emigrating yet. The police say it can take anywhere between 10 and 40 days, which is a bit of a wide margin to work with.

Do most people have all their paper work ready before they arrive to the DR? What about the police check? How do they get around it being dated within 30 days of application? Do they apply for it once they arrive to the DR? That would be easier, but how is the postal system there? How long does the mail usually take to arrive from the UK?

Lambada

Gold
Mar 4, 2004
www.ginniebedggood.com
Most people I know didn't have any paperwork in advance of getting here, althought they brought the necessary docs like birth certificate original etc. The police checks for buena conducta are done here. So if you wish you can start applying after your tourist visa runs out (15 days). There's no mad panic about any of this, you know. Lawyers here can tell you what is needed & there are threads & info on this board, use search function.
DR1 - Legal
The buena conducta here is valid for 30 days when I last checked. So your lawyer here will process that at the correct time. By all means get all the docs you will need together before you leave UK, but I'm not convinced that a UK police check is a requirement - it didn't used to be, maybe it has changed? Someone else could answer that. Don't let this stress you out - there's always ma?ana when you've moved here.
Is the DR Embassy in UK by any chance providing forms/paperwork of any sort for which they are making a charge................? ;)

dv8

Gold
Sep 27, 2006
i had some papers ready before comong here including police check from both uk and poland. before i started out on my residency application they were about three months old - never had any problem wioth that....

SantiagoDR

The "REAL" SantiagoDR
Jan 12, 2006
Last I understood, and last I did, was run over to the Palace of Justice, plop down the money, fill out the papers, wait about an hour and get the buena conducta certificate (Dominican Republic). There is no need for one from your country, it is the Dominican Republic one you need.

DV8, you probably had no problems with your late ones, because they are not used!!!!! Just need the DR one.

There are two ways to get it, the long way, or the quick and easy way I described above. I do not recall how to do it the "long way". The quick one takes a little bit longer to get the residency, but who cares.

KateP

Silver
May 28, 2004
Unless they recently changed the procedure, the police certification you need is from the DR police, not your native country. These are pretty simple to get, you could request it once you get to the country and have the rest of your paperwork in order.

Eddy

Silver
Jan 1, 2002
i had some papers ready before comong here including police check from both uk and poland. before i started out on my residency application they were about three months old - never had any problem wioth that....

Don't waste your time and money getting anything from your own country. "Other than original birth and marriage certificates, a letter from your bank showing you have $$ or a retirement income could be helpfull". They won't even use a good conduct from your country of origin. All the criminal checks are made from Santo Domingo. Your Info. is sent to DEA in the USA and Interpol allso do their thing. As for your local Good Conduct, it is done by the Procuradora's office in STDGO. (Unless things have changed very recently)

drtampa

Bronze
Oct 1, 2004
New Ulm, TX
Birth and Marriage Certificates

Birth and Marriage Certificates have to be certified at a DR Consulate in your home country. The cost in Miami is $80 USD per document. You drop them off one day and pick them up the next afternoon.

Lambada

Gold
Mar 4, 2004
www.ginniebedggood.com
Sounds a nice little earner.........:) My birth certificate wasn't certified anywhere, although some would say its owner should be. Have they changed the system then? My initial application was 14 years ago.

drtampa

Bronze
Oct 1, 2004
New Ulm, TX
It changed about three months ago. Much needed revenue. The problem was the people who were already in the DR had to return home to their DR Consulate for certification.

tish

Mar 10, 2007
Is the DR Embassy in UK by any chance providing forms/paperwork of any sort for which they are making a charge................? ;)

On the DR Embassy website for the UK, they have outlined quite clearly what they require you to do. They give you two option, that is, to either apply in the UK or in the DR once you arrive. The birth certificates have to be certified at the FCO (?20) and at the DR Embassy (?60) plus the DR embassy have to translate the birth certificates into Spanish too (I think ?85).

Sounds like the procedure has changed, clearly to increase their revenue. The police check is also a requirement and needs to be dated within 30 days of applying for the residency (which is virtually impossible for me). I'm not sure what I'm going to do yet. I've got two out of date police checks so far and counting. This information is all on the DR Embassy UK website. It's quite a costly procedure one there's two of you.

dv8

Gold
Sep 27, 2006
hell, i had no idea! i never applied for police check in DR - how the hell would they know anyway? i had my documents translated by a lawyer and there was never a sigle word about any certifications for which i am grateful as there is no DR embassy/consulate in polonia (and vice versa). that was in september/october, when i applied for my residency.....

Lambada

Gold
Mar 4, 2004
www.ginniebedggood.com
I took a look at that DR Embassy in UK website. I have a built-in waryometer when it comes to DR Government websites :) . Can I make a suggestion? Repost your question in Legal Forum & wait for Dr. Guzman. Ask him if it is 100% that these docs have to be notarised & translated at the DR Embassy in UK. I'm still sceptical.......Also ask him about the buena conducta. All of the long termers seem to be saying you get it here.

I note the application form costs ?30 (US$60 or 1890 pesos). When I renewed my residency here in April the form cost 40 pesos. Bit of a difference.

Two of you? Is the second person a child? Personally I wouldn't bother. You can do it later if it seems necessary.

I know you're trying to do everything 'right' & that's commendable but I think you're worrying unduly. I'd wait till you get here. It would not be good news if you spent a lot of money in UK only to find that Migracion in Santo Domingo didn't accept one of the UK DR Embassy's documents..........and honestly, stranger things have been known to happen. View the embassies as little entrepreneurial islands to themselves. Don't assume everything they do is sanctioned by DR Govt. in DR. I know.........it's quite a conceptual leap. But it's the way things are.

drtampa

Bronze
Oct 1, 2004
New Ulm, TX
Dr Guzman addressed the change in the requirement on March 4th. You go to the DR Consulate in your home country with the documents. Noemy Marrero says the same thing.

Lambada

Gold
Mar 4, 2004
www.ginniebedggood.com
Dr Guzman addressed the change in the requirement on March 4th. You go to the DR Consulate in your home country with the documents. Noemy Marrero says the same thing.

Whoops! I obviously didn't read it. So does that mean the buena conducta has to be applied for outside the DR? This seems to be the one thing causing tish stress. I wonder what happens to people who aren't in their home countries but are already here or in a third country?

C

Chip00

I can verify that as well. In fact the Immigration office in Santiago gave me a copy of the letter from the Gov't. that stated as such.

On my last trip home I got my birth certificate certified through an office in Orlando, Fl and it cost me $80.

The good thing is that I wasn't required to go to Miami in person - the authorized agent in Orlando did all that for me so technically I could have mailed the documents to him from Santiago and had them mailed back when finished.