Will it EVER end???

Status
Not open for further replies.

Conchman

Silver
Jul 3, 2002
www.oceanworld.net
Road construction here in Puerto Plata on the main road has been going on now since March 2006. I got stuck in traffic again today - total chaos is becoming the norm. Who is in charge of this mess? I don't think you could *&$#! this up anymore if you tried!

Almost 15 months now!

planner

.............. ?
Sep 23, 2002
Oh honey, do not test fate... of course they could mess this up even more. Heck they could just dig it all back up again................ ahhhhhhhhhhh

I have HUGE sympathy for anyone trying to go from Puerto Plata to Cofresi every day!

snoozer

Jan 22, 2004
Last month I took Caribe Tours to SD, it took exactly an hour from the terminal in POP to the new university on the edge of the city. At one point the road went through the Texaco gas station.

Believe me they could dig it up again, wasn't it just last year when they repaired the section of road near the San Marcos intersection? Now it is a worse mess than ever.

Lambada

Gold
Mar 4, 2004
www.ginniebedggood.com
I don't think you could *&$#! this up anymore if you tried!

Well................I noticed drainage pipes went in on the north side of the road when it was dug up again for the third time (that's in between the first repair, the repositioning of manhole covers dig up & the laying fibre optic cables dig up) but I never noticed drainage go in on the south side. So I guess if anyone spots that it'll be dug up again............

Did you see the 8 foot election poster of Leonel beaming down on all of us with the logo 'Your Government! Working for you!' Underneath someone had scribbled 'Yes, but very, very slowly'. :)

dv8

Gold
Sep 27, 2006
Did you see the 8 foot election poster of Leonel beaming down on all of us with the logo 'Your Government! Working for you!' Underneath someone had scribbled 'Yes, but very, very slowly'. :)

:cheeky: :cheeky: :cheeky:

:ermm: actually, it's not quite as funny as i thought... it is a mess and there is no way around all this mess...
conchman, have faith in dominican people, they could f**k it up a lot more! ;)
sometimes when we are not in hurry i make minovio drive all the way from texaco (when we venture out of POP) to long beach on manolo tavarez justo just to see what's up. it always makes me laugh when i sections of the road that were done before dug up again.

i remember minovio saying (after one of my WTF fits) that the road will be done before the end of the year - that was back in 2006. now he says i'll be done for election. isn't that, like, NEXT year? :bunny:

frankreyes3rd

Jan 15, 2007
pop roads

They have to leave something to do immediately before the election. how esle are they gonna get re-elected?

C

Chip00

Dv8's reference about laughing when she saw the same section of roads being dug up more than once reminded me of that happening on the road to Tamboril close to my house.

As a civil engineer I struggle to understand the necessity of digging up an area and preparing the base only to tear it up again shortly after. I don't want to be so arrogant to think that it is just poor planning but honestly can't imagine what these guys are up to.

The next time I go to POP I will stop and ask the Engineer of the project to explain his reasoning and report it back to youse guys.

Mirador

On Permanent Vacation!
Apr 15, 2004
....Did you see the 8 foot election poster of Leonel beaming down on all of us with the logo 'Your Government! Working for you!' Underneath someone had scribbled 'Yes, but very, very slowly'. :)

You probably missed the sign underheath that read...

"E' pa 'lante que vamos pero yo me devuelvo.....sopla!!"

Lambada

Gold
Mar 4, 2004
www.ginniebedggood.com
The next time I go to POP I will stop and ask the Engineer of the project to explain his reasoning and report it back to youse guys.

I can't work out what's funnier. Thinking that the engineer is actually physically present on Manolo Tavarez Justo or what his facial expression might be if you asked him to explain his 'reasoning' if you ever did find him. dv8, how're your first aid & resuscitation techniques? chip may need them..........:cheeky:

Mirador, what a lovely word ?sopla! new to me that, had to look it up. There may be an addition to the 8ft poster via spray paint cans at midnight.......;)

dv8

Gold
Sep 27, 2006
"E' pa 'lante que vamos pero yo me devuelvo.....sopla!!"

every time i see this word i giggle. so it happens that word pa'lante (i believe it means "forward", yes?) sounds like polish PALANT which is somewhere between bolsa, maricon and chopo... :cheeky::cheeky::cheeky:

chip, as an engineer you will know - is it a common practice to put gutter on the side of the road first, before you put the road surface on? and make it at least 10 inches higher than the road itself?

i went with minovio to his dad's farm, just behind san marcos. took us an hour from the crossroads with manolo tavarez to the farm - normally 10 minutes. big hole in the road, apparently. no sign stating the above so we had to wait for the queue of cars BEHIND us to back off so we could do the same and let cars IN FRONT get away. no need to say the car needed to be washed - mud was knee high. we took de-tour, almost broke chase on some darn rock and then again on a darn bridge (the bridge, it's never in good shape but this time all the part proudly standing before were crushed into pieces into the water). when we got to the farm i was swearing i will never do it again - the whole road was virtually washed off by the rains. :tired:

i think maybe this whole thing is jinxed? have you noticed this direct connection between road works on MTJ and the rain fall? i say it calls for animal sacrifice!

C

Chip00

chip, as an engineer you will know - is it a common practice to put gutter on the side of the road first, before you put the road surface on? and make it at least 10 inches higher than the road itself?

It is possible I suppose if it is in a "cut" section - that is the top of the curb and the ground to the immediate outside away from the raod is more or less at the same grade. Typically one would not want to have this situation for long because the curb being exposed could have it's base undermined by rain and then the curb will typically fail and then crack and fall apart.

dv8

Gold
Sep 27, 2006
It is possible I suppose if it is in a "cut" section - that is the top of the curb and the ground to the immediate outside away from the raod is more or less at the same grade. Typically one would not want to have this situation for long because the curb being exposed could have it's base undermined by rain and then the curb will typically fail and then crack and fall apart.

all darn MTJ has darn curbs, about 10 inches high. even where there is a road curface curbs are still higher all all darn water flows the street instead of the gutter. it is beyond me. many things about roadworks in DR are...

i was told (by one of the engineers there) that road will have one or two more layers of alphalt (dar, what is this black stuff called in proper english?) but my gut feeling tells me monies for that will run out....

on the other hand we have gutters in the city centre so deep i once saw 6 man pushing and pulling small pick-up whose driver got one tyre off the road....

planner

.............. ?
Sep 23, 2002
And it had to do with the kind of work being done. Basically the Malecon was fixing, paving, new sidewalks, new lights.

This one is sewers, storm drains, water lines, repairs, re repairs, dig it up again because we forgot something else, new lights, sidewalks, whoooooops forgot something else - let's dig it up one more time......

I swear they dug up in front of the big Banco Popular at least 4 separate times. And I don't mean locations next or near to each other - the exact same places were dug up 4 separate times......

Lambada

Gold
Mar 4, 2004
www.ginniebedggood.com
There was one place near UTESA that was also dug up four times, the fourth one month after the third. In the ensuing traffic jam I leaned out of my vehicle and asked the driver of the JCB if he was looking for his lunch. He wasn't amused.............

dv8

Gold
Sep 27, 2006
the guy i work with was driving to costambar one day - thaffic on MTJ was so bad he kept on getting out of the car to grab a beer in a nearby colmado. by the time he got back home he did not mind traffic jams at all!

NALs

Economist by Profession
Jan 20, 2003
Why don't people on this site quickly follow up when a project is finished?

-NALs:ermm:

Status
Not open for further replies.