Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    *** Sin Bin ***
    Post Thanks / Like

Default Don't brush your teeth!!! ...yet!

Taday's Listin Diario article informs the public about the introduction of a toothpaste that contains a toxic substance, via Panama, where a product with the ingredient already has caused over 100 deaths.

The shipment entered the country declared as animal feed, during different dates, through the ports of Haina and Caucedo, on the following ships: Cala Palmira 197, Orso V-79, Uni Corona, Blue Star, Cala Palmira 192, Uni Concord, Cala Palmira, Cala Palmira V-188 y Uni Corona 0754-217.

The article goes on to say that Customs (Dirección General de Aduanas (DGA)), the health authorities ( Secretaría de Salud Pública) and the military (Fuerzas Armadas) are tracing the whereabouts of the containers and merchandise.

The toxic substance is diethylene glycol. For those unfamiliar with chemistry, its industrial use, including pharmacological, you should know that diethylene glycol is found in many topical products, including sunblock lotions. As a matter of fact diethylene glycol (DEG) is one of the most commonly used chemicals in the world and it is contained as an ingredient in literally thousands of products.

Post Thanks / Like

that's why I loaded up on Colgate at Target and Wal-Mart....

HB

Bronze
    Post Thanks / Like

Thanks for the info Mirador! I sent the link to all my contacts; it’s not something we would buy but our muchachas de servicio might!

*** Sin Bin ***
    Post Thanks / Like

Default Oh lord please don't make me be misunderstood....

I'm just a soul whose intentions are good....;-)

Actually, my post is to warn that diethylene glycol in toothpaste is innocuous. I suspect the actual reason for tracing the container loads of "toothpaste" is because whatever is them is contraband...

Bronze
    Post Thanks / Like

I did a search first on the topic.

*** Sin Bin ***
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by juanita View Post
    I did a search first on the topic.
    What did you find out?

Gold
    Post Thanks / Like

Here's the story from New York Times and Moldova (both in English):
    http://www.nytimes.com/2007/05/19/wo...=1&oref=slogin

Poisoned medicine leaving deadly trail

Gold
    Post Thanks / Like

No Mirador, this is bad stuff. Somewhere in the 80's already there was a scandal in Austria (if memory serves .. and I cannot remember the town), where they sweetened their wine with diethylene glycol - and killed off a stack of people and a whole wine crop.

They put this stuff in antifreeze you know.

*** Sin Bin ***
    Post Thanks / Like

Juanita, thanks for the links. My confusion stems from the fact that I'm a patent translator, and I remember translating a toothpaste (dentrifice) patent which among its claims includes the use of diethylene glycol. By the way, the patent was approved by the US Patent Office (I cannot provide additional information because I'm bound by non-disclosure agreements). Also, I'm a habitual label reader, and I remember diethylene glycol listed in many skin lotions, including Banana Boat and similar brands of sunblock lotions.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast