Long term experience with water filters..

Taylor

Buy the ticket, take the ride
Jan 28, 2005
Does anyone have long term experience with a home water filtration system? I`m looking to install one and there seem to be a variety of options.

Key points

1) Does is just make the water easier for brushing your teeth and washing, or can you actually drink it?

2) Where did you purchase it?

3) Does it leave a taste in the water?

and any other relevant info

Thanks,

T

Ringo

On Vacation!
Mar 6, 2003
Hi T.

Are you in the D.R., if so what area? Are you looking to just filter or purify? Apt. or house? More information from you would help provide more spacific to you.

I have a whole house purification system that has worked well for over 2 years with no problems. Water has no after taste. I test the water every 3 to 6 months with above American EPA results. The finel test... we have never become sick from water born problems.

If installing in existing home, the water pipes should be sanitized before putting system on line as the system will not kill all those bugs that are in it.
I believe that everything can be obtained in the D.R. and is easy to install.

Taylor

Jan 28, 2005
Hi Ringo,

Thanks for the reply.

I`m looking for both, filter the the whole house, and if possible, purify one line for drinking water (to a cooler in the fridge). The house is new, and just being built right now. I`m on the north coast, just outside Sosua.

I figure build everything right from the start, as I plant to keep the house here for the next 10 years (at least).

T.

Ringo

On Vacation!
Mar 6, 2003
I'm just outside of Sosua also. A system just for the frig. would most likely prove large and costly for just the frig. In this case, consider a small pump with a hose into bottled water and run to the frig.

Other wise, PM me for time and directions to my place. (I don't sell, just will show and tell.)

Ringo

Danny W

Bronze
Mar 1, 2003
I'm just outside of Sosua also. A system just for the frig. would most likely prove large and costly for just the frig. In this case, consider a small pump with a hose into bottled water and run to the frig.

Other wise, PM me for time and directions to my place. (I don't sell, just will show and tell.)

Ringo

Ringo -

I'm building just outside of Sosua as well in Escondido Bay, and am interested in a filtration system if it's not too costly. Can you give me an approximate idea of the price, and what type of system it is?

As far as a pump from a bottle to the fridge, how would that work? I'm kind of addicted to the ice maker in my fridge here in NY, and would love to be able to use one in Sosua. - D

Ringo

On Vacation!
Mar 6, 2003
Hi Danny. For a frig. only system. You might look a a water pump used on a boat, impeller type and not the diaphragm type. Most are self priming and have a built in presure set. Most are DC 12, 24 or 36 volts, but you may be able to find an AC 120. OR, get a small AC to DC inverter. Easy small system and not to expensive at all.

The larger whole house takes some space, about 6'X6' near the cistern and plumbed into the house lines. AC will be needed. I don't recall the price, but have never hesitate to put another in and just about any (reasonable) cost.

T. is coming to my place at 5 this PM. Join us? PM for directions if so.

Ringo

Ringo

On Vacation!
Mar 6, 2003
Sorry Danny. If you are in N.Y. now you will have to run to make the flight. lol. I will send you some details later and you can buy one or more smaller components cheaper in NY.

Ringo.

Danny W

Bronze
Mar 1, 2003
Sorry Danny. If you are in N.Y. now you will have to run to make the flight. lol. I will send you some details later and you can buy one or more smaller components cheaper in NY.

Ringo.

Thanks. Yeah, you know what traffic is this time of day - I'll never make it. - D

Miko

May 23, 2003
UV systems

I am the DR distributor for Trojan, manufacturer of whole house UV systems. Capacity is 14 gallons per minute. Cost with two sediment removal housings is $950.00US. Only needs to access in your main house inlet. Located in Cabarete.

Danny W

Bronze
Mar 1, 2003
I am the DR distributor for Trojan, manufacturer of whole house UV systems. Capacity is 14 gallons per minute. Cost with two sediment removal housings is $950.00US. Only needs to access in your main house inlet. Located in Cabarete.

Do you have an office? I'll be coming to the DR this week. - D

Taylor

Jan 28, 2005
Hi Miko,

What system do you recommend for Cabarete? Which system do you offer for $950, as your website has various ones. How about pre treatments? What are the carrying costs? Do you offer the 5 year warrenty? Where is your office?

I`m sure if you spec out a typical system for a 3 bedroom house, it`s what most of us here are after.

Thanks!

T

Miko

May 23, 2003
UV system

Danny W: I am in Canada right now. My property manager in Cabarete has access to inventory. She can show you an installed system at the property.

Taylor: model C is the one I use which treats a high flow rate. If you are in Cabarete, are you on well or street water? I have a fair number of units in use and the difference between both sources is the water quality. Street water is softer but the down side is when there is alot of rain, we end up with alot of sediments and muddy colored water. The two sediment filters installed on the main before the UV system (a 10 microns then 5 microns) usually takes care of that but need to replace the filters more often. With well water, you usually have less sediments but harder quality and you have to remove lime deposit on the carbon sleeve which takes about 15 minutes. I also stongly suggest to a client the installation of a UPS on the UV system as the power quality on the north coast has deteriorated in the last year-year and half and even if the unit has a built-in power regulator, a few units had to be replaced. Also prevents flow of untreated water during power failure of the street grid. The UV lite is good for 12 months of use and there is a month counter on the power supply controller. Cost of a new lamp is $125. For maintenance, replace the 10 microns filter approx every 4 months, the 5 microns every 6, clean the carbon sleeve perhaps twice a year. This varies on water quality conditions.