Hello, new to the group.

Al Hernandez

May 20, 2007
Hello, I recently visited the DR for a long weekend and enjoyed the country. I'm considering moving there upon retirement in about 2 years. Any advice for a newbie?

B

batich

:smoke:
Hello, I recently visited the DR for a long weekend and enjoyed the country. I'm considering moving there upon retirement in about 2 years. Any advice for a newbie?

You`ll find some useful info here:

http://www.dr1.com/forums/living/62796-single-mum-needs-help-relocate.html

In two words - If you are a single man in good health and do not mind high prices,poor infrastracture, lack of sanitation and of social and cultural life - come over! Join the club. We are having a great party here.

Hillbilly

Jan 1, 2002
I would suggest you attempt to define just what you want during your retirement. What are your likes and dislikes, that sort of stuff.
There is a lot to be said for some of the local lifestyles. What "Batich" said above, is not necessarily true for the whole country.
I would imagine that if you like horses there is a place for you. If you like golf, there is a place for you. If you like the quiet life, the active social life or the monastic life, there IS a place for you here in the DR.

However, you have to define this. When you do, come back for a longer visit like Lambada says....You can't judge a book by its cover....

HB

B

batich

I would suggest you attempt to define just what you want during your retirement. What are your likes and dislikes, that sort of stuff.
There is a lot to be said for some of the local lifestyles. What "Batich" said above, is not necessarily true for the whole country.
I would imagine that if you like horses there is a place for you. If you like golf, there is a place for you. If you like the quiet life, the active social life or the monastic life, there IS a place for you here in the DR.

However, you have to define this. When you do, come back for a longer visit like Lambada says....You can't judge a book by its cover....

HB

With all respect, if not women, what else he cannot get of much better quality and much cheaper in Florida??!!

If I had a family or were impotent I would never ever wanted to spend time and money in DR. After almost ten years experience both in South and North.

A huge disordered anarchist puta house. One of a very rare and hence valuable places of freedom like this in the world.

Best place on Earth.

Social and cultural life? Golf? Horses? - Well... maybe...

My two sheqelim.

Al Hernandez

May 20, 2007
I was thinking of sailing my sailboat over and staying in a marina until I got to really know the country and find a permanent place to stay. Unfortunately I not having much luck finding a live aboard marina to stay at. Any suggestions?

Al Hernandez

May 20, 2007
:smoke:

You`ll find some useful info here:

http://www.dr1.com/forums/living/62796-single-mum-needs-help-relocate.html

In two words - If you are a single man in good health and do not mind high prices,poor infrastracture, lack of sanitation and of social and cultural life - come over! Join the club. We are having a great party here.

I'm surprised to hear you mention "high prices" I didn't think it was that bad when I visited. Miami is getting unaffordable and I'm not exactly in the poverty level/

Luperon

Who empowered China's crime against humanity?
Jun 28, 2004
Search the posts for "luperon"

I was thinking of sailing my sailboat over and staying in a marina until I got to really know the country and find a permanent place to stay. Unfortunately I not having much luck finding a live aboard marina to stay at. Any suggestions?

Search the posts for "luperon."

B

batich

I'm surprised to hear you mention "high prices" I didn't think it was that bad when I visited. Miami is getting unaffordable and I'm not exactly in the poverty level/

Even more surprises are waiting for you here.

Prices on practically everything are 50%-100% higher here than even in NYC. Food in supermarkets, gas, cars, legal services (horrible dishonest quality), 10% real eastate agents` commission. Lunch in restaurantes is more expensive than lunch in Manhattan.

Even for local products. Milk in Playero is 48 pesos a liter. Only full-fat variety. NON-organic. Go check milk prices in your Florida deli now. Twice cheaper.

My relative recently purchased a foreclosed one-bedroom appt from a bank in a golf-course condo in Florida for $35G. The cheapest prices for appatments in Sosua or Cabarete start from $100- $150G. Without security or any other protection.

Houses - from $250-$300G. Nobody buys at these prices but sellers stubbornly refuse to negotiate. In hope of a sucker coming sooner or later.

You will be burglarized in the first year. Lucky if not killed.

Being in the age of retired person you`ll need good health care. You will be shocked when you see medical offices here.

Come and try to live here for half year - you`ll see all this yourself.

But you`ll have nice loving young women that you could not even dream of in Florida or in NY!! This beats all these disadvantages by far!!!

Two agorot.

Al Hernandez

May 20, 2007
Thanks for the info. I must admit it differs somewhat from what I learned during my visit. I spent 2 days with a real estate person and looked at some fine locations for around 150K. Saw a beautiful condo on the water under construction for 180K. Really beautiful. And the prices I paid were reasonable compared with those here. I pay around $6.00 for 5 gals of bottled water here and over in the D.R. it was only .87. I also checked out other prices and found most of them either equal or much lower than in the U.S. Did I understand you correctly that you've been there for 10 years? Have you been back in the U.S. since? Thanks again for all the great info. I need as much as I can get to make my deicision.

Lambada

Gold
Mar 4, 2004
www.ginniebedggood.com
A huge disordered anarchist puta house.

Speak for yourself batich, you obviously are. There are many of us who live normal family lives here, either retired folk or young couples with children. Grahame & I have lived a normal (for us :) ) couple life here for nearly 15 years. He has been propositioned by hookers a handful of times (I choose my words advisedly) but only ever in Sosua. Not in Puerto Plata where he is known. Or perhaps more significantly where I am known............. The whole of the DR is NOT a huge disordered anarchist puta house and I would imagine many Dominicans reading your post would find it exceptionally offensive. I do and I'm not Dominican but this is my adopted motherland. I'm sure, batich, you're exaggerating to make a point but go easy eh? It doesn't do a service to new people.

B

batich

Thanks for the info. I must admit it differs somewhat from what I learned during my visit. I spent 2 days with a real estate person and looked at some fine locations for around 150K. Saw a beautiful condo on the water under construction for 180K. Really beautiful. And the prices I paid were reasonable compared with those here. I pay around $6.00 for 5 gals of bottled water here and over in the D.R. it was only .87. I also checked out other prices and found most of them either equal or much lower than in the U.S. Did I understand you correctly that you've been there for 10 years? Have you been back in the U.S. since? Thanks again for all the great info. I need as much as I can get to make my deicision.

In and out. On average 50% time of the year in DR 50% in the States or in Europe.

Santo-Domingo, Santiago, Boca-Chica, POP, Sosua, Cabarete.
Two years ago was almost ready to relocate permanently. Now - very happy that did not do it.

$180G for a preconstruction is possible. Infinity Blue por ejemplo. But in this country you have no legal recourse in case of ANY wrongdoing by the builder.

But in good locations like next to Pier Giorgio in Sosua preconstruction appatments start with $500G and may take two-three years for completion.

RE people are the last people to ask questions, I hope you know this after 60 years in this world.

Regarding legal costs - to notarise a paper coast $50 US for instance. How much do you pay for it in FL?

Water is cheap here it is true. But without any regulated quality. And tropical deseases are serious thing. Especially when having your family doctor in Clearwater.
Wine is more expensive here.
Beer is more expensive that you can buy in Costco.

Guineos and lechosa are cheaper, that is it. Even local pineapples are more expensive than in US.

If you are a wealthy man you will lose nothing if you come down and live here for six months. WITHOUT BUYING ANY RE.

WITHOUT BUYING ANY RE.
To rent everything and everybody. To be able to jump any minute, take your laptop and run to Luperon. In DR you must be prepared for everything. It is the favorite hiding place for east europen and other criminals. Do you like this kind of neighbours?

You will see a lot of different advice on this Forum. Come down personally and you`ll be able to see personally who of those "advisers" are interested only in bringing new people with money to fuel their businesses.

DR is full of con artists. NY and Miami are far behind.

Good luck fella and be careful. If you had no experience with Caribbean life and environment - be double carefull please.

Two sheqelim.

B

batich

Speak for yourself batich, you obviously are. There are many of us who live normal family lives here, either retired folk or young couples with children. Grahame & I have lived a normal (for us :) ) couple life here for nearly 15 years. He has been propositioned by hookers a handful of times (I choose my words advisedly) but only ever in Sosua. Not in Puerto Plata where he is known. Or perhaps more significantly where I am known............. The whole of the DR is NOT a huge disordered anarchist puta house and I would imagine many Dominicans reading your post would find it exceptionally offensive. I do and I'm not Dominican but this is my adopted motherland. I'm sure, batich, you're exaggerating to make a point but go easy eh? It doesn't do a service to new people.

I love DR like nothing else in this world. I only want a new person to know exactly what to expect if coming to Sosua or other gringo areas. Every time I am without my novia putas approach me on every street and on every corner. Day or night.
A lot of people come here for sex-tourism only. You can read it in MANY forums all over the world.

You do not agree with me that greedy business owners skyrocketed all the prices here recently?

Everything that I say is my personal observations and opinion only. I speak for myself only. Not for anybody else.
I am truly sorry if my opinion differs from opinions of others.
DR changed alot in last two-three years. And not for the better.
It is a very tough place to live now.

B

batich

Speak for yourself batich, you obviously are. .......... The whole of the DR is NOT a huge disordered anarchist puta house and I would imagine many Dominicans reading your post would find it exceptionally offensive. .

Of course, The whole DR is NOT a huge...
And it was not said about "The whole DR" if you read my post with attention.

Of course I can speak only regarding typical tourist/gringo areas where the OP apparently will be living.

I am truly sorry if it sounded rude to hard working people in other parts of the island, but Sosua and Boca Chica - is really something without comparison!!

Chris

Gold
Oct 21, 2002
www.caribbetech.com
batich, my husband was propositioned one time only. It is a joke in our house - he keeps saying he must be doing something wrong.

In fact, he is doing something right .. I think you're doing something wrong. Perhaps you're in the wrong place consorting with the wrong people.

Much of what you say is true, but it so blown out of proportion, that you're fast becoming the 'boy who cried wolf'!

B

batich

batich, my husband was propositioned one time only. It is a joke in our house - he keeps saying he must be doing something wrong.

In fact, he is doing something right .. I think you're doing something wrong. Perhaps you're in the wrong place consorting with the wrong people.

Much of what you say is true, but it so blown out of proportion, that you're fast becoming the 'boy who cried wolf'!

These wolves do really exist.
As well as sharks. And tigueres.

And uninformed retiring OP without Dominican experience will become their prime and vulnerable hopeless target and victim.
You know it better than myself. Both of us can tell alot of stories about very good people who had to run from DR having lost everything they had. Without doing any wrong.
And it is first your responsibility as Forum keeper here to protect a newby OP and not to attack people for critisizm.

mountainfrog

On Vacation!
Dec 8, 2003
www.domrep-info.com
The Caribbean Trap

.... batich, you're exaggerating to make a point but go easy eh? It doesn't do a service to new people.

Well, I am not so sure about that.
Sometimes it takes a strong shake up to bring a dreamdancer back to reality.
Exaggeration may be a bitter medicine, yet help to survive.

It's true that many long term residents prey on newcomers and try to live off them.
An often heard excuse:
I had to pay for my ignorance, too.... ;)

m'frog

Lambada

Gold
Mar 4, 2004
www.ginniebedggood.com
Of course, The whole DR is NOT a huge...
And it was not said about "The whole DR" if you read my post with attention.

I DID read your post with attention. Did you? In it (the post I quoted from last time) you did not mention a single town. You mentioned the DR. Had you said Sosua was happy hookerville then yes I would have agreed. Now you say Sosua & Boca Chica and yes I will agree more putas per capita or any other part of the anatomy in those places than in any other. But in your enthusiasm to convey your message to the OP you did not mention a single town but only the country. And that is what I objected to.

Unlike you, I do not know where the OP will be living because I don't believe he has told us because I don't believe he is anywhere near the stage of knowing himsef.

Yes of course I agree about all the scams, the RE hard sells, the gringo crooks who live here, the RE prices being inflated by stupid foreigners willing to pay silly prices. Where did I ever say I didn't? I'm a STAUNCH believer in telling it like it is. But that does mean like it is. It doesn't mean generalising through failure to be specific. Generalisations particularly over dramatic ones, whilst eye catching, can easily be dismissed. So yes mountainfrog, they can shake the dreamdancer momentarily & then they can be filed away under wallflowers. I don't want them filed away. I think all wannabee expats ought to know how some gringos prey on newcomers and others.

They could go to Puerto Plata Court on Tuesday morning for one such example........;)

globalmike295

On Vacation
Jul 11, 2006

Sail down to the Grenadines, and enjoy the Spice Islands !

The Tabago cays have some of the nicest cruising waters this side of the Cote de azur

Al Hernandez

May 20, 2007
Well from what I read, Luperon seems like the place to check out. Thanks to the members who recommended that I search it out. I have never heard of it before but now that I have I'll be keeping a close ear on the events there. Any body on this thread care to comment about that area?