Currency exchange etc

Status
Not open for further replies.

palmtree1958

May 16, 2007
Hi everyone. We're going to the Dominican Republic in March of 2008 and are already wondering about what type of currency to take. The last time I was in the Dominican Republic we were able to change our Canadian money at the hotel. This time we're staying at the Gran Ventana Beach Resort and are wondering where is the best place to exchange money and should we take U.S. currency? Also... how far is the closest town from the Gran Ventana and is it worth taking a trip into town?

Conchman

Silver
Jul 3, 2002
www.oceanworld.net
Take US$ with you from Canada and exchange periodically into pesos as your vacation goes along.

You won't get a good exchange rate at the hotel, there should be a bank or exchange house in the commercial plaza in the middle of Playa Dorada where your hotel is. You might want to try the Western Union office.

Malibook

Bronze
Jan 23, 2002
www.yourtraveltickets.com
The exchange rate for Loonies is not as horrible as before but the best cambios I ever saw still ding you for 10% or so.
I take US$ and use the ATM.
For US$, the cambio next door in the Paradise lobby (not the reception desk) is better than the cambios at the plaza, and Western Union is even better.
WU is no longer in the plaza but is on the main road into Puerto Plata just before the stadium.
There are cambios in town that do not post their rates but the rates are decent and it seems like they give locals better rates than gringos.
For CAD$, the opposite is true and the plaza cambios are better than these other ones.
I have never used a guy on the street and I probably never will.

Status
Not open for further replies.