TRUTH...whats the worst and best of D.R

mariainspain

May 12, 2007
can anybody with kids please advise me what are the worst and the best things of the dom rep. and why ?????
many thanks
maria x

Chirimoya

Dec 9, 2002
OK - from the point of view of a capital dweller - perceptions from other parts of the country and expat areas might vary:

Best - the obvious - climate (although the summer is a little too hot and humid for most people), natural beauty, beaches, food, people. People's attitude to kids, laid back attitude, joie de vivre, friendliness and helpfulness.

Worst - rising crime rate, materialism and skewed priorities, state health, education, security and emergency services, poverty and inequality, ignorance.

Matilda

RIP Lindsay
Sep 13, 2006
Best: climate - agreed summer is too hot, people, beaches, laughing
Worst: emergency services, crime, people, education,mosquitos, lack of european food,

Why am I here????????

whirleybird

Silver
Feb 27, 2006
If I had read some of these posts before moving to DR last June I doubt I would ever have come to this island! Yes, it is warm but surely that is why we are here. But it is also very beautiful and the volume of rainfall is what keeps it that way. I think (but correct me if I am wrong as I am sure you will) that the Dominicans are passionate about their country and I believe we should remember that it is theirs, not ours! As far as ignorance is concerned, I personally feel that it is more simplicity of thinking in most cases - I don't find the locals "stupid" at all. Is the crime rate really much worse here than in the rest of the World? perhaps the news will tell us otherwise for it was in Portugal that little Madeleine McCann was snatched almost 3 weeks ago. Yep, I hate the mosquitos too 'cos they love me but now, after almost a year, it is getting better. Lack of European food - what exactly? We have made a lot of new friends since we came here of all nationalities, something we could not have done in Devon, England. No, Maria, we didn't bring young children - just our 5 dogs and 2 cats (Sharlene is your best advisor on that one with a 6 yr old and 2 yr old). We don't live in a "tourist resort" but near the Dominican small town of Sabaneta with a finca in the hills so we can indulge in our love of animals, trees and nature (except spiders which I hate!) and we are just 20 mins from the ocean which is fine when we need to cater for our visitors from the UK - rest of the time we rarely bother. We have NO REGRETS about moving to DR.

globalmike295

On Vacation
Jul 11, 2006
Best: climate - agreed summer is too hot, people, beaches, laughing
Worst: emergency services, crime, people, education,mosquitos, lack of european food,

Why am I here????????

I go back and forth with these issues each and every day

nannie

Apr 14, 2006
I totally agree with everthing, and often I say to myself; If I had known, what I know now (after a year and a half) about this country, I would never have come.
But, I'm still here, and I love this country, but I just cant point out why.

globalmike295

On Vacation
Jul 11, 2006
I totally agree with everthing, and often I say to myself; If I had known, what I know now (after a year and a half) about this country, I would never have come.
But, I'm still here, and I love this country, but I just cant point out why.

That's the other side of the coin I deal with.

Sharlene

Mar 4, 2006
I think I've given you most of my info already, but here goes...

Best (for kids)

- my 5yr old being able to 'go out and play' with the other local kids where we live.....something I would never have allowed in UK.

- Seeing my children picking up bits of the language and communicating and playing with children of lots of other nationalities without need of language....as kids do!

- Watching my 5yr old riding a horse along the road behind her teacher....and my 2yr old riding on the same horse as the teacher.... both with big grins on their faces........

- Playing in the pool with the girls after school and knowing that my 5yr old can swim proficiently because she's had so much practice....

- Being more welcome in places with the children than we are without! Dominicans love children and we always receive a warm welcome with them (even when they're playing up!)

Worst (for kids)

- Not being in close proximity to a decent hospital. We were 5mins drive away in UK.

- although I believe largely in children having the imagination to create their own entertainment I'm disappointed by the lack of facilities for them (given how much the Dominican people love children). I'm not talking anything fancy, just no little parks or small areas with swings etc where children can meet up and play. Aside from the beach there's not a lot of places to take them.....(as you know I live in Sosua).

- my 5yr old developing a 'faux' American accent which she's picked up from her school and the Dominican children she plays with - The word Barrrrrrrrrrbie is the one that really grates!

- It has rained a hell of a lot here so far this year and trying to keep the girls occupied indoors is grim. I guess in UK we were more prepared for indoor pursuits. In the DR you always feel like you should be outdoors, especially when it's still humid.

- My 2yr old is the only one that still gets bitten by the mozzies, no matter what I do to protect her. I hate seeing her covered in bites.

globalmike295

On Vacation
Jul 11, 2006
I think I've given you most of my info already, but here goes...

Best (for kids)

- my 5yr old being able to 'go out and play' with the other local kids where we live.....something I would never have allowed in UK.

- Seeing my children picking up bits of the language and communicating and playing with children of lots of other nationalities without need of language....as kids do!

- Watching my 5yr old riding a horse along the road behind her teacher....and my 2yr old riding on the same horse as the teacher.... both with big grins on their faces........

- Playing in the pool with the girls after school and knowing that my 5yr old can swim proficiently because she's had so much practice....

- Being more welcome in places with the children than we are without! Dominicans love children and we always receive a warm welcome with them (even when they're playing up!)

Worst (for kids)

- Not being in close proximity to a decent hospital. We were 5mins drive away in UK.

- although I believe largely in children having the imagination to create their own entertainment I'm disappointed by the lack of facilities for them (given how much the Dominican people love children). I'm not talking anything fancy, just no little parks or small areas with swings etc where children can meet up and play. Aside from the beach there's not a lot of places to take them.....(as you know I live in Sosua).

- my 5yr old developing a 'faux' American accent which she's picked up from her school and the Dominican children she plays with - The word Barrrrrrrrrrbie is the one that really grates!

- It has rained a hell of a lot here so far this year and trying to keep the girls occupied indoors is grim. I guess in UK we were more prepared for indoor pursuits. In the DR you always feel like you should be outdoors, especially when it's still humid.

- My 2yr old is the only one that still gets bitten by the mozzies, no matter what I do to protect her. I hate seeing her covered in bites.

It sounds like you have already made up your mind, If I can be of any assitance, please let me know.....I am sure there will be several offers to help sell your residence......

Sharlene

Mar 4, 2006
It sounds like you have already made up your mind, If I can be of any assitance, please let me know.....I am sure there will be several offers to help sell your residence......

If you look at my previous posts, you'll see that it was actually always my intention to buy, renovate and sell my current house. My brother-in-law worked for West Indies Estates when I bought, so I got in on a good deal, will make a little bit of cash and then I'll 'take stock' of the situation......I appreciate your offer, but as every other person I know deals in real estate, I'm well covered thank you........;)

globalmike295

On Vacation
Jul 11, 2006
If you look at my previous posts, you'll see that it was actually always my intention to buy, renovate and sell my current house. My brother-in-law worked for West Indies Estates when I bought, so I got in on a good deal, will make a little bit of cash and then I'll 'take stock' of the situation......I appreciate your offer, but as every other person I know deals in real estate, I'm well covered thank you........;)

Sharlene, my point was that the Bank Guard you meet is a real estate Agent.

All new arrivals, once they walk off thier plane are now Real Estate Agents or Travel agents.......Look at the posts on the now defunct Travel agency here in Sosua.

Just some good sound advice

Sharlene

Mar 4, 2006
Mike, I think you misread my British 'sarcasm' about 'every other person I meet' being a real estate agent (what was it Chris said about British/American being divided by a common language...........). I totally agree with what you say. I find it hilarious that everybody I end up talking to for any length of time produces a real estate business card if I so much as suggest that I may sell my house. It's like when you get chatting to someone on the beach in India and they're asking about you and where you're from etc etc and all the time you just know that at any moment they're going to 'fish out' the wooden carving of an elephant they want to 'flog' you.....:cheeky:

I have literally just put my house on the market with Century 21. I'm dealing with a man there that I've known a couple of years and who has become a friend to me and my partner and who did not 'push' to get my business. I did put it up with Watson Homes in Sosua (I have a lot of contact with Keith, the British owner) because he offered 5% commission based on exclusivity, but for various reasons, have decided to go with the bigger agent.

Seriously if you feel that you can do anything to assist me, please feel free to PM me. ;)

And getting back on thread for Maria the OP.......you didn't post your best and worst of!

jrzyguy

Bronze
May 5, 2004
for me i think the worst is the educational system...or lack thereof.

How can the country expect anything of its people when the kids only go to school (the ones who do go) for 3 hours a day...and if lucky make it to eighth grade!

I was at my friends house out in andreas ane we were discussing this. They get 3 hours of school..learn math, reading, spanish and maybe some history (domincan history..not world history). I discussed geography with my friend...and he was flabbghasted..and somewhat appalled when I told him that Cuba is a larger island/country etc. Never mind trying to get him to understand how far Los Angeles is from NYC.

Well..that is one thing that ****es me off about the DR. I just find it unfathomable. I am not talking about kids in some remote mountain area...but kids who are living relatively close to the city in what would be considered a suburb.

grrr...

mariainspain

May 12, 2007
hi

i know what you mean about education.

here in spain in june and september the kids only go to school from 9am til 1pm, 4 hrs a day and they have half an hour playtime.

the rest of the year they go to school 9am til 12pm and return at 3pm til 5pm, this is a 'long day', they do 5 hrs, yet again half an hour playtime in the morning and 15 mins in the afternoon.

on top of this they have 3 mths summer holidays, 3 weeks xmas, 2 weeks in easter, 5 days in december aswell as xmas, and then dont forget all the catholic saint days and fiestas.

spain is classed as european and not third world, but children are not at school much either, and its a good spanish school that my kids go to, so you are not on your own there.

maria