Medical Supplies Store in SD?

LatinoRican

Apr 11, 2004
After 30 years as a college professor, I am looking towards retirement at the end of 2008. My dominican wife and I are thinking of moving to DR. But, I would like to do something more than just to sit on my porch and watch the world go by until I drop dead. I was thinking of opening a small, hospital supplies store for people who have some medical necessity. No medicines, just stuff like bedpans, disposable sheets, canes, bandages, crutches, portable toilets, wheelchairs, walkers, disposable adult diapers, oxygen equipment, and so on. My sister-in-law is a well-known judge, so I do not think that permits and legal stuff will be a problem. We are not expecting to make millions on this venture, but at least enough to make it worthwhile. What I would like to know is if anybody on DR1 has seen this type of store in SD and if you think it is worthwhile or not.

PS. I am very sorry about Mr. Synder's death although I did not know him personally. His posts very very interesting.

Ken

Platinum
Jan 1, 2002
Farmaconal is large and very well stocked and organized. They have at least 3 stores in SD.

LatinoRican

Apr 11, 2004
Thanks for the heads up on Farmaconal! I did a search on them and they seem to be into working more directly with hospitals and clinics although I may be mistaken. I was thinking more on having a small, medium-sized locale somewhere in the Colonial Zone. Someone also posted that Farmaconal was very expensive. Anyway, I will be in SD in July and will have a look for myself. Thanks again!

Ken

Platinum
Jan 1, 2002
Their stores are retail stores. I bought things at one of the stores after my wife had a hip replacement. The store was recommended to me by the doctor or people at the hospital, don't remember which. I didn't think the prices were out of line, and for items like crutches and canes they had several options at different prices to choose from.

Hillbilly

Jan 1, 2002
There is a Medical Supply Coop in Santiago that I know of.
As for setting up in the colonial zone, why not Pedernales?
FYI, nobody lives in the Colonial Zone (At least not enough to keep the buisness open.)
Think Naco or Piantini or even Los Mina. Areas with plenty of people with jobs.

Most sick people think that the hospital or the rehab center should take care of them for things like bedpans, crutches, antiseptics, and so forth.

I think the idea might fly, but you had better study the demographics and perhaps discard Santo Domingo altogether. La Romana? B?varo? La VEga?

North Shore?

think it through.

HB

LatinoRican

Apr 11, 2004
When my wife and I move to SD, it will probably be to the Gazcue area. That's why I was thinking Colonial Zone. Besides, it seems to me that everybody from Arroyo Hondo, Piantini, Naco, Villa This or Villa That sooner or later go to El Conde for something. In Oct. 2006, I was visiting a friend who runs an apartment building on Padre Billini. He had a small, vacant locale on the first floor which is little more than a walk-in closet. He was wondering what to do with it in order to make some extra money. In Dec. 2006, I returned to find he had begun a cellular phone business. There was hardly space for a small showcase, but people were bumping into each other just to get in. I know cellular phones are a big thing right now around the world, but people get sick, are operated on, and have accidents worldwide, too. Thanks for your input, HB!