Moving with pets

flgal

May 20, 2007
Has anyone moved their pets to DR? What is required and is there a limit? What is the best way to facilitate a move there? We so desperately want to move and have visited several times, although not recently. We want to retire there and hopfully buy a small business of some sort, as well as a home with enough property for our pets. We have a very large home with property here and are tired of the "stuff". We would like to bring our pets and relax for what years we have left. Do we ship our belongings or buy there? Can you give me a ballpark of furniture and appliance costs there? Has the gas skyrocketed there as well? Do you pay property taxes? Thank you for any replies!!

Spicedwine

Apr 25, 2006
First of all different countries required different things for pets, seems like coming into the DR, you need a valid rabies certificate (30 days prior) and a certificate of health to fly within 15 days (I think).. Just moved here in March and made a huge mistake, brought the small dog with us, and left the large because of the heat.... I had not recovered from leaving him yet. Stuff is exactly that stuff.... We sold everything and brought some important photos, a couple of do dahs.... and our clothes, sheets, and towels, because I am personally attached to comfort... but to each his own... do your homework and find out what is important to you because it is different for each of us.
Good luck... Live the dream

whirleybird

Silver
Feb 27, 2006
Has anyone moved their pets to DR? What is required and is there a limit? What is the best way to facilitate a move there? We so desperately want to move and have visited several times, although not recently. We want to retire there and hopfully buy a small business of some sort, as well as a home with enough property for our pets. We have a very large home with property here and are tired of the "stuff". We would like to bring our pets and relax for what years we have left. Do we ship our belongings or buy there? Can you give me a ballpark of furniture and appliance costs there? Has the gas skyrocketed there as well? Do you pay property taxes? Thank you for any replies!!

We moved here from the UK to "retire" last June and we brought our 5 large dogs and 2 cats. Where are you moving from?