Worst of the Worst

Capt. Rob57

Mar 22, 2006
Many times there have been posts about the stealing at the airports here but, this takes the cake. My brother who comes here at least 4 times a year and has never had a problem. Except this time, he flies SPRIT airlines out of Tampa Fl. He lives in Live Oak Fl about 4 hour drive from Tampa. Upon arriving home at 2am on Monday he found that they had stolen not only the obvious camera, and binoculars, BUT, HIS BREATHING MACHING AND DIBETIC TEST MACHING AND ALL TEST STRIPS. Spirit says well you only have 4 hours to report this. WE SHOULD ALL ENCOURAGE OUR FRIENDS TO BOYCOTT THIS COUNTRY UNTIL THEY GET THERE SCHIT TOGETHER. Now they are putting peoples lives at stake for a few pesos.

Mirador

On Permanent Vacation!
Apr 15, 2004
If I was in charge of this country, I would give the perpetrators of this heinous act their due process, consisting of a quick summary trial and conviction, and immediate execution with one shot to the back of the head.

Robert

Stay Frosty!
Jan 2, 1999
dr1.com
That's sad, theft happens all over the world. My guess is they had no idea what they had, it's shiny and flashes, lets steal it.

tflea

Bronze
Jun 11, 2006
If

If for sure it even happened here. Tampa has thieves like any other airport. Chances are it did happen here unfortunately and yes it is a tough nut the country needs to crack. And I agree with Robert, they likely have no idea what they took, probably looked like bling to them.

globalmike295

On Vacation
Jul 11, 2006
I feel rather lucky. When I arrived here , you could tell they searched everything and did not steal anything.

I brought a laptop , and some other valuables

acmike

Jan 11, 2005
Camera stolen in SD

I had my digital camera stolen from my suitcase last time here about a month ago.I could tell that the things in my suitcase were not the way I packed them.

Hillbilly

Jan 1, 2002
I don;t leave anything of great value or importnce in a suitcase. Phuck ?m, I really like Mirador's solution....

I am sorry to hear this Rob, things like this shouldn't happen....but they do. Really sh!tty.

HB

Ken

Platinum
Jan 1, 2002
Stealing from luggage at airports is not a new problem. It is a known problem. Why would anyone leave a camera and similar valuables in their suitcase when they know there is a good chance that somebody is going to open it?

globalmike295

On Vacation
Jul 11, 2006
Stealing from luggage at airports is not a new problem. It is a known problem. Why would anyone leave a camera and similar valuables in their suitcase when they know there is a good chance that somebody is going to open it?

Travel agencies etc, do not advertise that your valuables will be stolen when you take a vacation.

How many people that come here do not know that this is aknown problem?

I heardly think that anyone wants to advertise this

monfongo

Bronze
Feb 10, 2005
DO you really think that whoever took that stuff would lose one minutes sleep if your brother died,I doubt it. Life doesn't have a whole lot of meaning to a lot of these people.

globalmike295

On Vacation
Jul 11, 2006
DO you really think that whoever took that stuff would lose one minutes sleep if your brother died,I doubt it. Life doesn't have a whole lot of meaning to a lot of these people.

Life does have a meaning to these people, but they have nothing and see others that do.

When foreigners come and enrich a developing nation, the locals get greedy, and want a slice of the pie.

Is that not how America got started ?

Mike

Don Juan

Living Brain Donor
Dec 5, 2003
Travel agencies etc, do not advertise that your valuables will be stolen when you take a vacation.

How many people that come here do not know that this is aknown problem?

I heardly think that anyone wants to advertise this

It is quite obvious that suitcases from, (presumably), wealthy gringos are chuck full of goodies that can safely be plundered if it's easy to get into.
This can happen anywhere in the world but probably, most likely, in third-world nations such as my beloved DR.

Capt. Rob, I'm sorry your brother had to be relieved of such a vital piece of equipment. The thieves might have put him in great danger and it could have been much worse. I presume he made it safely back to the US.

Things like this go unpunished because laws are not enforced and airport security can sometimes be in cahoots with the thieves, to the detrimental of our nation's reputation and resulting loss of revenue, due to a reduced number of visitors.

I'm angry that things like this still happen with great frequency. Don't blame the thieves as much as we should all blame the lax, corrupt government for not enforcing laws that are so counterproductive to progress and our reputation as a preferable safe destination. ...So sorry.

tflea

Bronze
Jun 11, 2006
Duuhh

You pay someone RD$8K per month, if that, to check you and your bags in. You pay someone RD$4,500 at the X-ray from CESA security (govermant folks) to 'make sure' you are not carrying liquids on board and what-not. You pay peanuts, you get monkeys. No, this is not a racially intended statement.
Come on, do NOT put valuables in checked baggage; never, ever. Not in the US, not here, not Thailand or Timbuktu.....and yes it's sad the OP's brother had his stuff taken somewhere.
Since when did a couple of t-shirts, a pair of flip-flops, one collared shirt, one pair of swim trunks and 3 pieces of underwear not suffice (in most cases) not serve the traveler well to a Caribbean destination? (special requirements not included).
Pack light, live free and enjoy your vacation....wherever you may go.
Did the backpacker generation disappear? OK, so you're more well-to-do now. Just take your one Hartman,Coach, Tumi or Luis Vuitton bag over your shoulder and shop when you get there. What you planned on anyway, eh girls?

C

Chip00

I travel a lot between Florida and SDQ and fortunately have not had this problem as of yet. I always go to the States with one carry on item and my laptop. The carry on can be quite large and weigh up to 40 pounds.

When I return with all the goodies for the wife all of the electronics go into the carry on luggage, vidcam recorder, digital camera, router etc.

What goes in the duffle bag to be checked are clothes, new and what I brought with me, shoes, miscelaneous items of no great value including toys. I have no doubt this stuff has been "checked" but as of yet nobody has felt the liberty to swipe my off brand clothes and Little Mermaid toys.

Lesson learned, get the largest carry-on allowable from Walmart - American Tourister $40 and put all the valuables there -and always keep it in sight.

globalmike295

On Vacation
Jul 11, 2006
You pay someone RD$8K per month, if that, to check you and your bags in. You pay someone RD$4,500 at the X-ray from CESA security (govermant folks) to 'make sure' you are not carrying liquids on board and what-not. You pay peanuts, you get monkeys. No, this is not a racially intended statement.
Come on, do NOT put valuables in checked baggage; never, ever. Not in the US, not here, not Thailand or Timbuktu.....and yes it's sad the OP's brother had his stuff taken somewhere.
Since when did a couple of t-shirts, a pair of flip-flops, one collared shirt, one pair of swim trunks and 3 pieces of underwear not suffice (in most cases) not serve the traveler well to a Caribbean destination? (special requirements not included).
Pack light, live free and enjoy your vacation....wherever you may go.
Did the backpacker generation disappear? OK, so you're more well-to-do now. Just take your one Hartman,Coach, Tumi or Luis Vuitton bag over your shoulder and shop when you get there. What you planned on anyway, eh girls?

The orginal post was about the theft of a breathing machine,

Not the thong, and bikini wax, type of necessities.....to land a ......:bunny:

MommC

On Vacation!
Mar 2, 2002
dr1.com
Chip said it all.......
While I sympathize with the OPs' brother, he should have been carrying such important equipment in his carry on bag. You wouldn't place medically necessary medicine in your checked bag would you??
So why put medically necessary equipment in one (not to mention the equipment is probably a lot more expensive than the medicine!)

Capt. Rob57

Mar 22, 2006
Carry ons

The reason my brother does not carry on anything because like most diabetics he is over weight. He weighs 300 lbs. Does not have the stamina to walk long distances let alone with extra weight. Who cares about a camera ? The point is if you don't check your sugar regularly you can DIE. He is also asthmatic and need the respirator to breath at night.