Mets new Academy in the DR

C

Chip00

That is good news.

Can you get any phone numbers of any scouts there? I have a nephew who was just let go by Polonia but I think the kid has good stuff - 5'11, 180 lbs, 89-90 mph fastball, 18 years old and a hard worker. He does throw a little "sidearm" but said his ERA was low.

Kyle

Silver
Jun 2, 2006
Mets want a Dominican baseball academy
Fred Wilpon, president of the New York Mets, announced in Santo Domingo yesterday that the team will build a baseball academy in the Dominican Republic to train young Dominicans. He said that the team expects to attract local players as well as other Latin American players to the training camp. The site has not been chosen yet. At a press conference held at the Hotel Jaragua, the Mets president said he wants to foster closer ties with the Dominican community living in New York. The Mets are represented in Santo Domingo by Eddy Toledo. Wilpon was accompanied in his visit by Dave Howard, senior vice president; Mark Bingham, senior vice president and director of marketing, radio and TV; Steve Phillips, general manager. Omar Minaya, assistant to the general manager of the Mets, said that the team plans to establish a working agreement with one of the six Dominican winter baseball league clubs. The Mets concluded their working agreement with the Licey Tigers last year.

the same academy that has been talked about since 1998 ?

Mets want a Dominican baseball academy
Fred Wilpon, president of the New York Mets, announced in Santo Domingo yesterday that the team will build a baseball academy in the Dominican Republic to train young Dominicans. He said that the team expects to attract local players as well as other Latin American players to the training camp. The site has not been chosen yet. At a press conference held at the Hotel Jaragua, the Mets president said he wants to foster closer ties with the Dominican community living in New York. The Mets are represented in Santo Domingo by Eddy Toledo. Wilpon was accompanied in his visit by Dave Howard, senior vice president; Mark Bingham, senior vice president and director of marketing, radio and TV; Steve Phillips, general manager. Omar Minaya, assistant to the general manager of the Mets, said that the team plans to establish a working agreement with one of the six Dominican winter baseball league clubs. The Mets concluded their working agreement with the Licey Tigers last year.

the same academy that has been talked about since 1998 ?

Kyle - I am not positive if this is the same academy or not. What I know (and this came from a very reliable source) is that the groundbreaking for the Mets new Academy which will be located in Boca Chica is scheduled for this week (I thought it was today, but am not sure)

Ground-breaking for Mets Academy
President Leonel Fernandez and Sports Minister Jay Payano, together with New York Mets' chief operating office Jeff Wilpon, executive vice president Dave Howard and general manager Omar Minaya gave the symbolic first shovel of sand that marked the ground breaking for the construction of the 37-acre New York Mets Training Academy in Boca Chica. The academy will go up near 10 other baseball academies run by other Major League Baseball teams, in order to encourage a competitive schedule. It is ten minutes from Las Americas International Airport. At the ceremony, Minaya promised that the complex would serve not only as a recruiting program for the best talents, but these would also be guided to become great citizens. The design has been entrusted to architect Jose Mella Febles, and construction to Jesus Rodriguez Sandoval. The academy will include three regulation-size baseball playing fields. One of the fields will replicate the asymmetrical dimensions and wall height of Citi Field, the future world-class home of the Mets that is scheduled to open in April 2009. Some 60 players, their managers and coaches and 16 try-out players will be housed at the academy at any time.
With the construction of this US$7.5 million facility, the Mets strengthen their presence in the country. The Mets are looking to find the next Pedro Martinez or Jose Reyes, the Mets' 23-year old All-Star shortstop, who trained at the Mets' baseball academy that operates in San Cristobal. Wilpon forecasts that once the new facility opens, more talent might be flowing to the Mets.

daddy1

Feb 27, 2004
Hooray!!! another baseball school...

$7.5 million for a brand new academy..WOW! we are moving up in the world these days...soldiers don't have shoes, barely any light, garbage all over, no medical supplies..etc etc. etc. above all no new educational schools with athletic programs no library's....but.....another baseball academy...it's time to drink, dance, and celebrate today our role in modern sociaty....no moral obligations, no educational funding, not there problem:ermm: more academies....yes...:paranoid:, baseball is single handly paying and educating the country:pirate:

aegap

Silver
Mar 19, 2005
I concur. The Mets should had given that money to the Dominican government in an agreement for it to be used to buy shoes for soldiers, increase light around the country, increase garbage pick up, buy medical supplies ..etc etc. etc., also, the Mets should have included a few million more earmarked for new educational schools with athletic programs and libraries. That the Met didn't do such a thing is a shame, and they should be kicked out of the country. Permits for this US$7.5 million dollar investment should be revoked. No Dominican Dominican padre de familia should be allowed to work in its planning or construction. ..no Dominican padre de familia should be allowed to work for its maintenance and upkeep. no, ...on second thought, with their U.S.$7.5 million dollar investment, the Mets ARE and will be doing all of the above, albeit (mostly) indirectly.

Cleef

Bronze
Feb 24, 2002
I thought....

$7.5 million for a brand new academy..WOW! we are moving up in the world these days...soldiers don't have shoes, barely any light, garbage all over, no medical supplies..etc etc. etc. above all no new educational schools with athletic programs no library's....but.....another baseball academy...it's time to drink, dance, and celebrate today our role in modern sociaty....no moral obligations, no educational funding, not there problem:ermm: more academies....yes...:paranoid:, baseball is single handly paying and educating the country:pirate:
...there was no crying in baseball.

C

Chip00

Speaking of the Latino issue I still can't get Daddy1 to respond to my original questions(in another thread) about his allegations that mlb is promoting the discrimination against latinos - what's the deal Daddy1?

Cleef

Bronze
Feb 24, 2002
Get in line!

Speaking of the Latino issue I still can't get Daddy1 to respond to my original questions(in another thread) about his allegations that mlb is promoting the discrimination against latinos - what's the deal Daddy1?
The line starts behind me. I've asked some pretty basic (as in 'context defining') questions and there has been no response.

Until he proves otherwise - and he seems really anxious to prove something - I'm writing him off as someone that wasn't included in the 'old boys' network and hasn't been able to get over it.

Not calling you out Daddy1 (ok, maybe a little bit) but your insistence on the conspiracy theory is getting old - without some substantial backing up (i accept fact, or at least a shred of logic).

So far it's a bunch of hot air (or pixels) chest beating.

C

Chip00

daddy1 - what is your problem? WOW! I'm beginning to think that you can find fault with anything and everything that is printed here.

I'm beginning to wonder if this guy even understands what we are asking, which is highly plausible It really makes sense too because this guy has not had a real comprehensive, intelligent answer to any challenges to his theories. I think this guy's English just isn't up to par to handle our inquiries as nobody could be this insolent as to make such charges and then not defend them.

Nonetheless, I think most agree that what mlb is doing has had mostly positive influences on the DR and am glad to see more investment from same here in the DR.