In honor of Rick

C

Chip00

I am creating the thread to address a topic that I believe Rick think's that is important as he is looking on us down from above.

It has to do with creating a contigency plan to get one's self to the hospital in case of emergency, and have the necessary medicine or equipment to make it happen.

I don't know all the in's and outs of Rick's circumstances, all I know was that in the short time that I knew him that he was a good guy and made a great impression on me. I'm sure others there are others out there who were better and worthier friends than I but Rick made an impression on me and I can't stop thinking about the fact that he left us so soon - it was really like a low blow. In spite of our short time together me and Rick seemed to hit it off as we had similar ideas and a lot in common in our lives, ex military, married to a Dominican, living in the DR and hoping for change for the better here AND willing to do something about it.

Therefore I am sure and without a doubt feel I have Rick's blessing to advise those who live in the DR to create a contingency plan in case of emergency to get to the doctor. Also, one needs to have the necessary equipment and medicine to make sure that one has the best chance of surviving a medical event. The fact is one cannot by any means count on the Ambulances, nor policeman, nor fire trucks to arrive on time here. People need to be prepared and if that means having atropine and a de-fibrilator make it happen and make sure everyone knows how to use.

Again, I feel confident this is what Rick want and would like to say to him thanks for being such a good friend to all of us here at DR1 and we miss you and may God bless and take care of your family.

globalmike295

On Vacation
Jul 11, 2006
Chip, I agree with your suggestion. If you have a heart attack, timing is crucial regardless of the severity.

A friend of mine just suffered a major heart attack in Florida.

He was passing out as he called 911 and they tracked him by his GPS tracking system from his cell phone.

They were going to send him on the Trauma-hawk....emergency helicopter

The bottom line here my friends is that if you have a heart attack in a third world country, I strongly suggest you have your affairs in order

MommC

On Vacation!
Mar 2, 2002
dr1.com
Gotta agree with globalmikes' bottom line.
I already know my next heart attack will be the last and final one so it doesn't really matter what equipment or contingency plans I have however I do know from first hand experience that there are two ex-pats alive today because PapaTony was an EMT emergency worker and knew how to resusitate and do CPR.
My affairs are in order and we do have contingency plans for when we are in the DR and it would be a good thing if everyone thought and acted likewise.

jlw919

Sep 18, 2003
l missed this post and the first I new of Ricks death was when his wife Marisabel contacted my wife in Santiago tonight. The only contact we ever had was e-mail and phonecalls

I had been assisting Rick and his family in obtaining their retired military ID cards through e-mail and phonecalls. I was able to get them and at least most of the wife and childs health insurance will be covered by TRICARE.

Are there any retired Vets living near Ricks wife Marisabel? If so she could certainly use some help with paperwork she needs to complete for Social Security for the child (she never obtained her card) death and medicare benefits. She could probably get a Social Security card through the Embassy but would be much easier if someone was assisting her personally.
r
Jimmy

C

Chip00

I don't live near her unfortunately but would be glad to help. I speak Spanish and could probably help her fill out the applications and email/fax/courier them to her. Send me a PM if I can help.

Criss Colon

Platinum
Jan 2, 2002
yahoomail.com
There Is a "Social Security Office" At The American Consulate in SD

There is also a number to call that is on the Dominican Consul's web site. No,I don't have it.
If you live in Santo Domingo,there is a "Chest Pain" emergency room at CEDIMAT,in the PLAZA DE LA Salud,Ens. La FE! You might want to learn how to get there,BEFORE,you need to get there! Corazonmes Unidos in the Naco section is also good.
CCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCC