trigue?a and morena

C

Chip00

whats the difference?

Although I haven't heard "triguena" a lot here in the DR back in Orlando I've heard it to describe someone "indio", the color of "canela" - which would be somewhat less dark than someone described as "morena". Morena here in the DR is used to describe a dark person, maybe with only "negra" being darker.

For example I think David Ortiz the baseball player would be described as being Moreno, IMO.

carls

Feb 28, 2006
distintion between morena and trigue?a terms

from my my point of view, I think that the distintintion between morena and trigue?a is based on the level of how the african face features are presented and also is based on on the lighter or darker that the skin could be. For exemple using an international exemple, a girl like beyonce would be a morena; and a girl like salhma hayec would be a trigue?a.The key point is the following:the color doesn't matter,all will depend on how strong or no the african features are highlighted, the more strong these african features be, people will call it morena; the softer these african features be, people will call it trigue?a.However, at the end both of them are mulata(black and white blend) with some american indian touch in some case.

C

Chip00

from my my point of view, I think that the distintintion between morena and trigue?a is based on the level of how the african face features are presented and also is based on on the lighter or darker that the skin could be. For exemple using an international exemple, a girl like beyonce would be a morena; and a girl like salhma hayec would be a trigue?a.The key point is the following:the color doesn't matter,all will depend on how strong or no the african features are highlighted, the more strong these african features be, people will call it morena; the softer these african features be, people will call it trigue?a.However, at the end both of them are mulata(black and white blend) with some american indian touch in some case.

Your opinion might be valid somewhere else but in the DR it is as I stated it. Beyonce would never be categorized as "morena", rather "india".

As far as "african face" features one would never use that in the DR to describe a persons face. Typically, is a person has such "features" they would just say that they aren't "fino" meaning angular feature and of cousrse if someone has angular features they would be described as being "fino".

Therefore, here in the DR when color is used to describe a person it is done irrespective of their facial features.

Chirimoya

Dec 9, 2002
I've always thought it meant more or less the same thing as "brunette", but although the dictionary says trigue?a means "olive skinned" when referring to skin, it is "dark blonde" when referring to hair colour.

Confusingly, in Spain "morena" means brunette (as in someone like Salma Hayek) whereas in the DR it means black.

So in my case, with my typical Mediterranean dark brown hair and light olive skin, I'm "morena" in Spain, and "trigue?a" or even "rubia" in the DR.

Kyle

Silver
Jun 2, 2006
not trying to be funny but your saying Vijay is no different from Tiger ? if you don't watch golf, Tiger is a mix of asian/negro and Vijay is from Fiji...

Mirador

On Permanent Vacation!
Apr 15, 2004
On muy last trip to Caracas late last year, I was surprised that my daughter Alexandra (14) was referred to as morena, while her sister Angela (12) was called rubia. I understand in Venezuela the term trigue?a is reserved for much darker skin....

Here's recent pics of my daughters Alex (la morena) and Angela (la rubia) ...

6ey0lsn.jpg

523xiq1.jpg

C

Chip00

Mirador - how in the world did those darlings come for...you???!!!! hahahaha!

The wife must be a real beauty - felicidades! :)

Rocky

Honorificabilitudinitatibus
Apr 4, 2002
www.rockysbar.com
On muy last trip to Caracas late last year, I was surprised that my daughter Alexandra (14) was referred to as morena, while her sister Angela (12) was called rubia. I understand in Venezuela the term trigue?a is reserved for much darker skin....

Here's recent pics of my daughters Alex (la morena) and Angela (la rubia) ...
I can see the 2nd one being called Rubia, but it's clear the Venezuelan interpretation of Morena is different from ours.
Also, I have always been led to believe that trigue?a insinuates a golden colour, or corn-like.

Mirador

On Permanent Vacation!
Apr 15, 2004
Mirador - how in the world did those darlings come for...you???!!!! hahahaha!

The wife must be a real beauty - felicidades! :)

Thanks for the compliment, I really enjoy the opportunity of raising the kids, since they were about 1 and 3 years old, respectively. Their mother, Marianne, passed away over 10 years ago. My current wife, Altagracia with who I have a 6 year-old boy, Aroa, is the girls' stepmother.

Kyle

Silver
Jun 2, 2006
mirador, maybe it's the eyes/facial features and not the skin. you are very fortunate to have 2 beautiful daughters.

carls

Feb 28, 2006
ok, the girl upstair is a trigue?ita,however.this is not taxactive exactly. sometimes in our country-side( el campo) because of the sun exposure the girls' hair tend to get curly and somewhat yellow or light brown as well as many of the time they tend to have light brown or greeny colored eyes.

look, all will depend from person to person,the girl upstair could be called whatever trigue?ita or morenita, but a girl darker than her is for sure called (morenita).

The girl downside is cosidered for the typical Dominican as a (rubita)

Baracutay

Apr 13, 2007
www.centrelink.org
Mirador, your daughters are truly beautiful. Like chip commented, its hard to see how they can be yours.................! LOL
Just wanted to add that in Peru and Mexico, Moreno means brown and is used to describe Indians. There is an Otavalo Indian song from Ecuador that:
tengo que llegar al pueblo, donde me espera mi madre. Tiera de gente morena, subiendo por la quebrada. Con la brisa en mi espalda y el lamento del indio.....
Also in Northern Mexico the Indians in some tribes are very dark and the Mestizo population that surrounds them refer to them as moreno or negros.
I agree that in the DR trigueno and moreno are used as a nice way to say negro (as if being negro was bad) , then again one can hear the word negro to describe a person in a positive light as well, proving once again that there is something very confusing about all this! No clear answers eh?

macocael

Bronze
Aug 3, 2004
www.darkhorseimages.com
I agree that in the DR trigueno and moreno are used as a nice way to say negro (as if being negro was bad) , then again one can hear the word negro to describe a person in a positive light as well, proving once again that there is something very confusing about all this! No clear answers eh?

Only ostensibly confusing. As Freud demonstrated, such words are ambivalent cultural signifiers whose flexibility allows potentially dangerous social pressures to "escape" or blow off. Negro is a perfect example: it can be offensive if you refer to someone you dont know as a "negro" but it is a term of endearment when you refer to a loved one as "mi negra" for example. There is a name for this kind of word but I forget it at the moment.

Flaco

Aug 2, 2005
People in my circle don't use triguena at all. It is either rubio/a, indio/a, or moreno/a. Thus I would believe triguena is very similar to india... a very light brown skin tone.

May 31, 2005
I think in Venezuela your older daughter is considered morena because her hair color is dark. Like another poster previously mentioned they do in Spain. I find someone like Zuleyka Rivera (current Miss Universe) to be a color trigue?a and Beyonce (American singer) to be a morena.

corsair74

Bronze
Jul 3, 2006
Mirador, your daughters are truly beautiful. Like chip commented, its hard to see how they can be yours.................! LOL
Just wanted to add that in Peru and Mexico, Moreno means brown and is used to describe Indians. There is an Otavalo Indian song from Ecuador that:
tengo que llegar al pueblo, donde me espera mi madre. Tiera de gente morena, subiendo por la quebrada. Con la brisa en mi espalda y el lamento del indio.....
Also in Northern Mexico the Indians in some tribes are very dark and the Mestizo population that surrounds them refer to them as moreno or negros.

I think that you are correct in surmising that there is no clear answers on this subject. Dominicans themselves don't seem to be too clear on it.

I've personally been referred to as "indio" by some dominicans. Yet, I have a friend that calls me her "negro bello". Go figure. I've long since ceased to pay much attention to these things.

Vince.