Claro goes GSM

Feb 7, 2007
Claro has started offering its GSM service last week.

I went to a cellular dealer today to get my friend's GSM phone repaired and I saw a Claro GSM card with chip on tech's table. I inquired and was told that Claro started the GSM service last week, they are already doing activations and supposedly GSM coverage is in all places where Claro has digital coverage (1900 Mhz) and the GSM service is running off the same towers.

I will stick with Orange for my MAX plan, but may look into Claro GSM for prepaid service.

cobraboy

Pro-Bono Demolition Hobbyist
Jul 24, 2004
Hmmm...really?

I use Orange in my US GSM phone, but I'd definitely prefer Clarol. Much better coverage. Alida has a strong Clarol signal when I have a poor or no Orange signal.

Might have to check it out next trip.

Anybody know if a number can be transferred between carriers like in the US?

Ken

Platinum
Jan 1, 2002
That is good news and bad news. the good news is that this will put pressure on Orange to expand its service. Now, when going to Samana, for example, I get a signal in most towns along the way but not in between. Claro covers the towns and the in betweens.

The bad news is that if Claro, by going head to head with Orange, is able to drive Orange out of business, cell phone rates would very likely increase. I recall a poster in an earlier thread reporting that Claro is known for high rates in other places.

Feb 7, 2007
I don't think Claro can drive Orange out of business. They would need to drive Centennial and Tricom out of mobile business first.

Orange is not in DR only. Orange is a BIIIIIIIG mobile group based in France, and is part of France Telecom. I don't think Carlos Slim (now owner of Codetel Claro) and all his telecom assets measure up to Orange (France Telecom).

Besides, Orange is used to fierce competition. In Europe, where most of its networks are located, there are several major players, competing against each other, e.g. Orange, T-Mobile, Vodaphone, Telefonica O2.
So far, nobody has driven nobody out of business.

AZB

Platinum
Jan 2, 2002
V3 motorola for 95 pesos if you change your existing claro phone (having been with them for 18 months minimum). Just choose a post pay plan and get razor v3 for 95 pesos.
I did.
AZB

Ken

Platinum
Jan 1, 2002
I don't think Claro can drive Orange out of business. They would need to drive Centennial and Tricom out of mobile business first.

Orange is not in DR only. Orange is a BIIIIIIIG mobile group based in France, and is part of France Telecom. I don't think Carlos Slim (now owner of Codetel Claro) and all his telecom assets measure up to Orange (France Telecom).

Besides, Orange is used to fierce competition. In Europe, where most of its networks are located, there are several major players, competing against each other, e.g. Orange, T-Mobile, Vodaphone, Telefonica O2.
So far, nobody has driven nobody out of business.

Thanks. I am glad to hear that.

Robert

Stay Frosty!
Jan 2, 1999
dr1.com
bienamor, your smart! hehehe

I think this is a smart move, They know the system and it's the network that powers Europe and many other parts of the world. I'm sure Orange are well prepared for this, they are massive and do very well in the worlds most competitive cellular market, Europe.

Plus the Apple iPhone is GSM, all I need to do now is find an unlocked one :)

Last edited:
Feb 7, 2007
Re Conversion:

Both CDMA and Claros' GSM run at 1900 MHz.

I asked the same question the dealer's technician, and he told me that they were using the same equipment, stations, everything, GSM is just running on a different channel and they installed a new GSM switch in SDQ. Apparently they run both DMA and GSM.

Probably some CDMA capacity at 1900 MHz was converted to GSM capacity.

mido

Bronze
May 18, 2002
Claro GSM

I got it today and it works perfectly.
Even the remote areas where I did not have good signal before are working fine.
Highly recommendable because you only need one phone and you are connected anywhere you go.

Bob K

Silver
Aug 16, 2004
ok i know a stupid question,but i am tech challanged. Is GSM the same as using a sim card?
If so that would be great.

Bob K

bienamor

Kansas redneck an proud of it
Apr 23, 2004
Yep

ok i know a stupid question,but i am tech challanged. Is GSM the same as using a sim card?
If so that would be great.

Bob K

Uses the chip! and Robert I did not say that claro would overtake Orange, thank god, just that they would be changing within 6mo after the sale completed which was in Jan.

DavidZ

Silver
Aug 29, 2005
www.vipcigartours.com
So...to get this straight.... The new Claro GSM system has the same coverge as their CDMA system? Does anyone know: When you sign up for a new account, do they automatically put you into GSM? Will they phase out the CDMA?

NotLurking

Bronze
Jul 21, 2003
Sto Dgo Este
So...to get this straight.... The new Claro GSM system has the same coverage as their CDMA system? Does anyone know: When you sign up for a new account, do they automatically put you into GSM? Will they phase out the CDMA?

Claro/Codetel is using the existing CDMA (1900 MHz, digital) infrastructure to provide GSM service. The new GSM coverage should be about equal to the existing CDMA coverage. I doubt that Claro's CDMA service will be phased out. It's to Claro's advantage to offer service using either standard (CDMA, GSM).

I suppose YOU would specify the standard (CDMA or GSM) and the service type (prepaid or postpaid) YOU want at the time of purchase/activation. If however, you are activating a used phone the cellphone will dictate the standard.

NotLurking

DavidZ

Silver
Aug 29, 2005
www.vipcigartours.com
Does anyone have a knowledgable contact at Codetel in POP, that can explain (in English) the various plans available for a business/group account? And possible the benefits of GSM vs CDMA specifically on the North Coast....any differences in the data (email/internet) capabilities, etc...

Thanks!