Santiago living questions?

mark4604

Aug 10, 2006
Hello everyone,

I am going to b e moving to Santiago very shortly and I am attempting to gather useful information from those who are acquainted with that particular city. I am a world travel not a tourist, so I do know the basic principles of safety, including never becoming wrapped up in a verbal disagreement (sometimes a tactic to confused and rob) don?t venture into parts of the city that are unknown to you and always be aware of your surroundings and people that might wish to rob or harm you. I have visited Santiago many times within the last two years, so I do know my way around pretty well but not totally, one can always learn more. I have rented an apartment in La Lotteria, I have heard from many of my friends its pretty safe area and my building has 24 hour security. I guess I would like general safety advice concerning the city, including parts that are dangerous, unique scams, and pretty much everything I might need to know about Santiago. I am starting a business in the Colinas area and I will not have my own transportation for a while, is there any advice about the conchos in the city besides the obvious that they can be crooks and dangerous? Also am I allowed to purchase and carry a gun? and if so what kind of hoops will I need to jump through? I would like to be in contact with some fellow Americans or our friendly Canadian neighbors. If anyone can provide with me info concerning Santiago it would be greatly appreciated.

SantiagoDR

The "REAL" SantiagoDR
Jan 12, 2006
As a non-Dominican citizen, to have a gun you need to be a permanent resident with a government issued residency card. It takes many months to get the temporary card, which is good for one year, after that you then apply for the permanent card. After getting the permannet residency card, you can then apply for a gun permit, etc.

In general, you need to buy the gun here, you can not bring a gun into the DR. Ammunition is expensive as the President has put a stop on import of ammunition and possibly guns also I think.

Watch out for pickpockets in the public conchos, they also use distraction tricks there. Never lean over to pick up something your fellow passenger dropped.

Good luck on starting a business, regulations I hear are quite tough. There may be a problem about working in the DR without being a citizen or resident.

Hillbilly

Jan 1, 2002
You ask me for help renting a place in Las Colinas or near by and then you go and rent one on the totally other side of town.??? Gee thanks...

I can see you are going to have fun here...and forget the weapon.

HB