Current Electricity Issues

planner

.............. ?
Sep 23, 2002
Lately the electricity has been far worse then normal! I think I might have missed what is going on. Can someone enlighten me please? It appears that there are serious problems (worse then normal) here on the north coast and I hear other parts of the country. What the heck is going on???

Feb 7, 2007
Here, in Higuey, we have been in scheduled "apagon" for hours between 6am and 9am. It suited me great as by the time I got up the power was up. This used to be true till beginning of May.

Since then, every other working day the power is shut between 9am and 5-7pm. Oddly, the Edeeste office claims it's because of substation upgrades (to put 24 hour power delivery into effect) but when I call the Edeeste hotline, they come up with a bunch of "averias" and excuses. So I really don't know where the truth is. To me, the "averia" - "issue" seems like a hidden "apagon" - "shut off".

But it really is BAD and I am ****ED OFF (mainly because I am left with no AC during the power non-delivery hours). I am now even thinking of buying a fan (something I have not used for a long time).

If it is true they are working to put 24 hour power, I don't need it! Having no power between 6 and 9 am as was case up till May was OK with me. This sh.t is not! Jodeeste jode mi vida. And by the way, I don't understand what the heck is with the substation and transmission upgrades and repairs. That has to be done in couple of days, not weeks or months! And if they can deliver 21 hours, what miraculous upgrades do they need to do to add 3 more hours? Is it that marginal increase in hour delivery requires disproportionate investments and upgrades? In Edeeste economy, I don't think so! It looks to me like a game with yet-unknown-motives, where clues are hidden and obscure, and where the ones loosing are, as always, we the customers.

globalmike295

On Vacation
Jul 11, 2006
Lately the electricity has been far worse then normal! I think I might have missed what is going on. Can someone enlighten me please? It appears that there are serious problems (worse then normal) here on the north coast and I hear other parts of the country. What the heck is going on???

I agree , did you see all of the Brand New Vehicles for sale at Banco Popular, in Sosua today.

Automobiles that cost more than a 1 bedroom apartment, are being financed.

Perhaps you can drive your automobile inside your house and open the doors to run your A/C......do not forget the hose outlet, as Carbon Monoxide kills

The kids can watch DVD's in the back seat so you can rent out that extra bedroom.

On a serious note, do not forget to use a voltage regulator as these intense power surges will eat your hard drive, faster than a..........

Capt. Rob57

Mar 22, 2006
Upgrades

Here in the capital I do know for a fact they have been making up-grades in el conde and in guaze for example you can see it being done. But remember Dominicans don't work an 8 hour work day. The other night when my brother was here it was so bad we went to a cabanna even my invorsor only had power for about 2 hours over the course of two days. And it was hot as hell. Both day and night during the day we went to Juan Dolio and sat by the beach to get a breeze.

jaguarbob

Bronze
Mar 2, 2004
electricity issues

I live in Zona Colonial..elec has been off every other day since feb..8 or 9am till 6 or 7 pm..they are changing all poles and wires here....they say it should be done by end of june....and my bills are the same or higher than last year with power 24 hrs...go figure..
bob

Capt. Rob57

Mar 22, 2006
Have them come out and check your meter. At my old apt. I did this and started saving 2,000 pesos per month. They changed out the meter demand a new one out of the box not a used one.

Hillbilly

Jan 1, 2002
The "Jode-Norte-Este-Sur" spin doctors said that (a) some guy trying to make an illegal connection knocked the circuits out last week.
(b) the damage done in Dajab?n by the wind storm -?tornedo?- knocked out a major portion of the circuits in that area, causing a cascade effect throughout the system
(c) {for those that remember Julio Sauri--Kids flying kites short circuited the lines}

There is always an excuse....

Recently, after a couple of years of good, steady service, we are getting very short, less than a minute, blackouts that kick in the gensets, and then power is back. Looks like we are back to the early 90s again....

HB

Criss Colon

Platinum
Jan 2, 2002
yahoomail.com
"Good News/ Bad News!!!!!!!!!!!"

The "Goodnews" is that since December,I have had electricity,24/7!!!
The "Bad News",is that they came and changed my electric meter. I guess that after 10 years,they thought that 1000 pesos a month was a "Little Low" for my electric bill! Sooooooooooooooooo,I now have a new meter,electricity 24/7, but I now will have to pay for it!
I think I am still ahead of the game!:cheeky::cheeky:
CCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCC

planner

.............. ?
Sep 23, 2002
Sounds like a variety of theories or excuses.

It is so bad this week Codetel can't repair my internet connection - you need electricity to do that! And of course they don't come out after 6 when the electricity comes back on......

Thank goodness we have a private electric company here and I will be hooked up asap! Just some "issues" to address first.....LOL

BushBaby

Silver
Jan 1, 2002
www.casabush.org
I am intrigued 'planner' - did you MEAN the pun or was it accidental?

Perhaps the title should have been 'NON current electricity issues'?!!! (lol)

I was out of the country last week but since Tuesday here in our end of PoP, outages have been minimal & WAY above what it was in the late 90's & early 2000's! It may not be 24/7, but it IS somewhere around 20 or 21/7. ~ Grahame.

Lambada

Gold
Mar 4, 2004
www.ginniebedggood.com
You jinxed it, Bushbaby. :laugh: For the last half hour, ever since Bushbaby made his post about how good it's been, the power has been in & out repeatedly & faster than a sankie into Western Union. I am reminded of Oscar Wilde - his quote about a certain country being the only one which went from barbarism to decadence without civilisation in between. :)

And while we're all whingeing let's spare a thought for the folks who don't have A/C, invertors or any back up power etc, & who can't get water when there's no power.

planner

.............. ?
Sep 23, 2002
Unintentional Grahame, but glad you were amused.....LOL

Last week - power out DAILY from about 8:30 am to 6 pm

Week before - power out DAILY from about 8:30 to 6pm except Wednesday when we had power about 2 hours mid day.

This week - power out DAILY from about 8:30 to 6pm. It was so exciting last night when it came back on at 5pm. Big celebration....

I have huge sympathy for those who don't have back up or invertors........ And as the season gets hotter and hotter I am sure tempers will start to go....